Eave mount and antenna mast recommendations - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 12 Old 12-07-2012, 12:08 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a large antenna (~8' long) that I need to mount on my roof (attic mount doesn't work due to dense trees). I would greatly prefer an eave mount & I don't need an antenna rotor.

What are some good antenna mast options? Should I go with a 10' mast due to the nature of the eave mount? Is 10' flimsy / wobbly with larger antennas? Who makes a good eave mount? Should I just go with Channelmaster or are there better options out there? I know I'll need a ground block for the cable and a ground strap from the antenna, all tied into a new ground rod. Anything else?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 12-07-2012, 05:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Need to know WHICH 8' antenna you're using, also, what pitch is the roof.

FWIW, if a tree is in the way from your attic, they probably will be int he way from the rooftop unless you can work out a line of sight.
post #3 of 12 Old 12-07-2012, 06:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 19
Can you post a pic of your house where the chimney is suppose to go? Is it a 1 story house or 2 story?
post #4 of 12 Old 12-08-2012, 03:36 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 99
Are you actually in Portland or a outer suburb?
Have you checked your local reception thread for local reception issues?
How prone are you to lightning?
How old is the house?
Why no rotor?
How long is the downlead?
How many 'taps' (TV's, tuners, DVR's) will you need?
How about a tripod mount? (Done right, the roof will not leak.)

Definitely need pics of the house.

Abundant OTA television is what makes this country different from all others. Lets keep it this way.
The Internet is no place for streaming video.
post #5 of 12 Old 12-08-2012, 09:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 220
I think a 10' pole with an 8' antenna won't get the support with an eave mount/chimney mount, especially in high winds. Mine is about 15' tall supporting a big old 72 element Winegard (12' pole with a 3' extension for the rotor) and it is mounted at the apex of my roofline with a "cupholder" like base bolted to the support beam and three sets of guy wires bolted to the roof framing (thru the metal roof, not the actual roof itself). 28 years of faithful service in all kinds of weather. Single story house, 30' from ground level.
post #6 of 12 Old 12-09-2012, 03:54 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

OK, here is the requested information.

Antenna: It's a big directional NTSC Terk. I build a DIY 4-bay bowtie as part of my debug process and the Terk gets slightly better reception.

Orignal reception debug thread: http://www.avsforum.com/t/1435211/hillsboro-or-antenna-woes-time-for-a-roof-mount
TV Fool report: http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=29&q=id%3D2df920a4389ccf

Are you actually in Portland or a outer suburb? - Outer suburb (Hillsboro)
Have you checked your local reception thread for local reception issues? - Yes. I had previously done a ton of debug (in another thread) and finally determined that the very dense apple tree & another house outside of the attic was blocking the signals. The peak of my roof is 2+ stories above the ground (need a 40' ladder to get to the peak) and will clear these obstructions. Installation is going to be a huge pain so overkill at this point (in terms of the mount) will not be a problem.
How prone are you to lightning? - ground strikes are extremely rare in the valley (where I live)
How old is the house? - 1998
Why no rotor? - All the stations are broadcast from 2 towers that are 2 degrees apart.
How long is the downlead? Antenna will go to a powered splitter that resides ~75' away (coax run length). A ChannelMaster 7778 can be added but I've been told that it should not be necessary.
How many 'taps' (TV's, tuners, DVR's) will you need? - 4 taps are in use but all are after the powered splitter.
How about a tripod mount? (Done right, the roof will not leak.) If there are advantages to the tripod I'd consider it.

Chimney: the house doesn't have a chimney.

House picture: Sorry, I don't have any pics on me right now. Here's a picture of a home with similar eaves & roof pitch. The eave mount would definitely work from a "room to lag bolt it in" standpoint.

The edge of my roof is exposed 2x6s so no problems there. I can run the ground wire down the inside of the eave to a new ground rod. The signal coax would go into the attic and be routed to the splitter from that point. If I go with a preamp I would run power to the attic in this location.
post #7 of 12 Old 12-09-2012, 03:55 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Pylot View Post

I think a 10' pole with an 8' antenna won't get the support with an eave mount/chimney mount, especially in high winds. Mine is about 15' tall supporting a big old 72 element Winegard (12' pole with a 3' extension for the rotor) and it is mounted at the apex of my roofline with a "cupholder" like base bolted to the support beam and three sets of guy wires bolted to the roof framing (thru the metal roof, not the actual roof itself). 28 years of faithful service in all kinds of weather. Single story house, 30' from ground level.
That's what I was worried about... the wind forces on the larger antenna. I think I may have to go with something like you have on your home.
post #8 of 12 Old 12-09-2012, 05:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 220
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg_R View Post

That's what I was worried about... the wind forces on the larger antenna. I think I may have to go with something like you have on your home.

Yeah. When I first installed the antenna, I had it attached to the chimney with two sets of chimney mounts. The first strong breeze we got and the mounts came loose and the antenna fell over. I had to pay a professional antenna installer to set it up. When we upgraded the roof to a metal roof about 5 years ago, we had the antenna removed and then re-installed by another professional antenna installer. I had him re-use the original guy wires plus new ones (I had the rotor replaced at the same time) so there are two guy wires for each of the three connection points. We had some pretty strong winds and rain a week or so ago in the Bay Area and the antenna handled it with no issues at all. We don't get serious lighting strikes/storms here so all I did was run the antenna RG-6 cable into the garage when it connects to a drop-amp signal booster. The signal booster is grounded to the original ground wire that came with the pre-wired cable tv connector when the house was built so I have no idea where, or what, the cable ground wire is grounded too. It goes to the street somewhere. Certainly not the best way to ground an antenna but it's been sufficient, so far. I've thought about connecting a heavy gauge wire with clamp connectors to the base of the antenna mast and then running that to a ground rod buried in the flower bed and maybe connecting that to another ground rod about 3' away, but just haven't gotten around to it.
post #9 of 12 Old 12-10-2012, 03:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

OK, here is the requested information.
Antenna: It's a big directional NTSC Terk. I build a DIY 4-bay bowtie as part of my debug process and the Terk gets slightly better reception.
Orignal reception debug thread: http://www.avsforum.com/t/1435211/hillsboro-or-antenna-woes-time-for-a-roof-mount
TV Fool report: http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=29&q=id%3D2df920a4389ccf

OK, I remember your thread now.
I think the antenna you are putting outside is overkill, way too big. Last time in your thread, did you ever try putting the antenna outside an East facing window on the second floor to test reception?
The ANT751 is a small antenna that can be wall mounted. I think it will be more than enough for your needs.
post #10 of 12 Old 12-12-2012, 04:31 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikepier View Post

OK, I remember your thread now.
I think the antenna you are putting outside is overkill, way too big. Last time in your thread, did you ever try putting the antenna outside an East facing window on the second floor to test reception?
The ANT751 is a small antenna that can be wall mounted. I think it will be more than enough for your needs.
Yes I tried the 2nd floor window with no improvement. Recall that the dense tree is ~10 feet from that location.

I want the cheapest, easiest solution that will result in excellent reception. If my DIY bowtie can work on a lightweight (eave) mount then I would consider it. I would have to make it outdoor-ready though (solder the connections, etc.). I've tried many, many locations in my home with a strength & quality readings on a portable TV and they all suck. A roof mount seems to be my last option. I will of course drag everything up there with the portable TV prior to permanent install.
post #11 of 12 Old 12-14-2012, 06:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Yes I tried the 2nd floor window with no improvement. Recall that the dense tree is ~10 feet from that location.
I want the cheapest, easiest solution that will result in excellent reception. If my DIY bowtie can work on a lightweight (eave) mount then I would consider it. I would have to make it outdoor-ready though (solder the connections, etc.). I've tried many, many locations in my home with a strength & quality readings on a portable TV and they all suck. A roof mount seems to be my last option. I will of course drag everything up there with the portable TV prior to permanent install.

I am surprised that you still get poor results out the second floor window. Even with the tree in the way, you should get something at 11 miles out. I guess the last option is the roof. I hope you get good results.
post #12 of 12 Old 12-14-2012, 08:45 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
If you can beg, borrow, steal, or buy it on ebay, then a portable spectrum analyzer will definitely help you find that sweet spot.

The procedure can be found at:

http://www.avsforum.com/t/381623/the-official-avs-antenna-and-related-hardware-topic/14970#post_22105317
Reply HDTV Technical

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page