Can Blu Ray be connected to Plasma w/o HDMI? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 13 Old 12-10-2012, 11:59 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I currently have a regular dvd player connected via component video cables and the audio runs through my Marantz receiver with full surround sound, sub woofter, etc. All of this was set up with equipment in 2004. The plasma is mounted on the wall and has a dvi connection in addition to the component. However, my new blu ray only has hdmi. I'm wondering if i should buy a new blu ray that has component connections or whether i should buy a dvi to hdmi adaptor and use the existing blu ray w/ hdmi. This is my movie room not a regularly watched tv but i'd like to pull the netflix streaming and this would enable that.

You'll love this part, the plama is only 720p so i know i need to replace but that's not going to happen for awhile. I also realize i won't get true blu ray quality w/a 720 but if i can get a good picture w/ the netflix, that's my goal. thank you
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 12-10-2012, 12:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 68
If you connect Blu-Ray's HDMI to HDTV's DVI, you could ALSO connect Red/White Stereo signal between them if you ever wanted to listen without firing up the Marantz Receiver. Since the digital signals are identical, an inexpensive adapter cable doesn't degrade Video signal...it's simply missing Audio. I doubt the HDTV has Digital Audio INPUT, although it MIGHT have an Optical or Coax OUTPUT for connection to the Marantz Receiver.

Obviously, Blu-Ray's Digital Audio Output (Optical or Coax) connects to Marantz Receiver for Surround. If you don't have enough Digital Audio inputs on the Receiver, you could add an input switch, whether manual or under remote control.
post #3 of 13 Old 12-10-2012, 03:16 PM - Thread Starter

Ok, thx for the post, and my apologies, I don't follow all of it. Is part of what you are saying is, yes, connecting my new blu ray which only has hdmi to the 2004 plasma which only has a dvi connection is fine by using the dvi to hdmi adaptor? I guess the only problem is, I will not get "sound" by doing this so i would need to run red/white audio cables from the blu ray to the plasma. However, I don't believe the blu ray has audio out other than via the hdmi so that may be a problem. I have the samsung e5900 blu ray player.

My primary goal is to simply to tap into netflix so i can stream movies into my movie room vs. having to rent dvd's. The blu ray has wifi so if i can get picture/sound via the dvi and ?? i should be good but of course, that's my question, can I???
post #4 of 13 Old 12-10-2012, 03:46 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 90
^^^

according to the spec page for your bdp, it has a coax spdif out... which is even better than if it had "red/white" analog out...

as the other poster suggested... hdmi feom bdp to dvi adapter to the tv... coax spdif from bdp to the avr...

fwiw, there's nothing wrong with a 720p set... smile.gif the great majority of users don't sit close enough to resolve 1080p... hook everything up and enjoy it... smile.gif

- chris

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1332917/ccotenj-finally-gets-a-projector

post #5 of 13 Old 12-10-2012, 03:54 PM - Thread Starter

according to the spec page for your bdp, it has a coax spdif out... which is even better than if it had "red/white" analog out...

Other than I already have a bunch of red/white audio and don't even know what a spdif out is, lol. I'll google it but it sounds like i'm on the path to making this work, assuming my 2004 marantz also has the spdif in. I already bought the dvi to hdmi adaptor at best buy, it was $25 or 30 dollars, so pricey for sure
post #6 of 13 Old 12-10-2012, 04:00 PM
AVS Addicted Member

^^^

"spdif" (sony/phillips digital interconnect format) uses either toslink (optical) or coax... it's a method of digitally transmitting the signal... smile.gif

any cable you have lying around that has rca plugs on both ends will work fine for this... one of the red/white cables will do the job for you...

what marantz do you have? a 2004 model should have spdif connections, as dvd players were around then... smile.gif

the hdmi to dvi converter (and any other cables you might need) is likely much cheaper at monoprice (www.monoprice.com)...

- chris

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

post #7 of 13 Old 12-10-2012, 04:46 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 235 Post(s)
Liked: 315
post #8 of 13 Old 12-10-2012, 05:07 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 20
A HDMI to DVI cable will only work if your television’s DVI input is HDCP compliant.
HDCP stands for “High-bandwidth Digital Content Protection”
post #9 of 13 Old 12-10-2012, 06:58 PM - Thread Starter

i connected the blu ray to the dvi using the hdmi adaptor and the picture is terrific. I just read about the connection to my marantz using a simple rca typle plug so will do that tomorrow. Will the sound play through my marantz via the full surround sound system or will it be limited? My marantz is a SR 7200

good prices at monoprice. thx. I paid $25 for the adaptor and $20 for 6 feet of hdmi cable and $10 for the 3 foot version, way too much.
post #10 of 13 Old 12-10-2012, 07:01 PM
AVS Addicted Member

^^^

good deal... smile.gif

if you do what was suggested (hook up via spdif), then yes... as noted, just use one of your red or white cables for this...

- chris

post #11 of 13 Old 12-10-2012, 07:13 PM - Thread Starter

and i should have said...thank you all very much, appreciate the assistance. I built a pretty good home theater/surround system back in 2004 w/ some help from this board but have not touched it since. I'm in the process of updating certain elements of my system. I just bought a new 51 inch 1080p samsung plasma sunday but that one is not for the movie room. I'll eventually put a 55 inch in there but for now, working with the 720p 42 inch plasma since i can make it work thx to your help
post #12 of 13 Old 12-10-2012, 08:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Zenith website doesn't show your 2004 Plasma anymore, but "Zenith P42W46X" thread
says that it does support HDCP (encryption) on DVI....so no problem. Specs cited here:
http://www.amazon.com/Zenith-P42W46X-42-Inch-Plasma-ED-Ready/dp/B0002TXRFO

It apparently only has the following: 1ea DVI (Hi-Def, NO Audio), 1ea RGB Component Video,
1ea (Yellow) Composite Video and 1ea S-Video. Didn't say anything wrt Audio..must have
Red/White Stereo and MAYBE (I doubt it) Digital Audio OUTPUT (SPDIF Coax or Optical),
that could be connected to Marantz to hear Surround Sound while watching DTV.

So you can connect Samsung E5900 Blu-Ray's HDMI to Zenith's DVI plus (optional)
Red/White Stereo between them if you want to listen without firing up the Marantz.
Connect Blu-Ray's Digital Audio (SPDIF COAX ONLY) to COAX input on Marantz
(DIG-1 IN thru DIG-3 IN). Since it's a 3 Mbps digital signal, a cheap RCA cable
built for AUDIO may or may not work...but the VIDEO (Yellow) ones should work.

FYI: On-Line and FREE pdf download of Marantz manual can be found here:
http://www.manualslib.com/manual/258537/Marantz-Sr7200.html
post #13 of 13 Old 12-11-2012, 04:56 AM - Thread Starter

yes, that is the plasma i installed back in 2004. It has a very nice picture. I connnected the dvi/hdmi last night and streamed planet earth from netflix and the picture was terrific. Have not connected the audio yet, i will work on that tonight but should be easy. I have several audio connectors that should work, including some good quality ones. I'll report back
Reply HDTV Technical