Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 12 Old 12-22-2012, 02:49 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Philips commercial TVs

I am going to be installing a headend in a hotel which will combine analog DirecTV standard definition modulated video and digital broadcast off-air. This hotel uses about a hundred Philips model 42HF7945D, 42" flatscreen TVs.

The incumbent service provider is Lodgenet, and they have replaced the input terminal card/board with their own proprietary board that apparently combines Pro:Idiom decryption, channel tuning and PPV. They will be returning the boards they took out, but for now, I do not have one in hand to begin my experimentation with the programming of these TVs. I need to determine whether they can recognize 8VSB digital signals if they are frequency shifted to the cable STD frequency channel plan, but cannot test them without an input terminal card. If they can't, I will most likely transcode them to QAM.

But anyway, I am going through hell trying to get just one original input terminal card to experiment with. I contacted Philips commercial services directly, and they said they would attempt to get me one, but they never did, nor did they contact me to tell me their "effort" to do so had failed. Previously, I had discussed this model TV with the hotel's building engineer, who has worked as a bench technician, and he told me he had become exasperated by the unavailability of repair parts for these 42", six year old TVs, and that the largest TV repair company in this major metropolitan market will not service them because they cannot get parts either.

I called Philips back today and was told that they couldn't get me one single original input terminal card. I asked them the name of a local dealer or distributor or even a large customer that I might get one from locally, but the service rep became combative and kept abruptly replying, "No", "No", and "No" to my every query.

I am amazed that this commercial TV manufacturer does NOT keep input terminal cards available for this model. Input terminals can break when a person goes to move the TV without disconnecting the cable, or when a hamfisted person cross-threads the F-connector and then wrenches it down. That must happen somewhere at least every week. And when it does, they say "tough luck" to the customer and force him to replace the whole TV?

The only thing they can furnish me with is a master, programming remote, but we already have one from another hotel that this privately owned, non-branded hotel group runs. I sure could use a clone box, or Smart Loader, but Philips says those are not available, and while Goggling the part number get me a number of "supplier". none of the suppliers I contact actually had one in hand. They all were just order takers who were going to attempt to arrange to have Philips drop ship one, which they apparently cannot do because Philips doesn't have an

Can anyone out there who has pulled their input terminal cards out of this TV or a similar one furnish me with one, and can anyone come up with a clone box I can buy or even rent or borrow? Its part number is 22AV1120/00. It is one of these: http://icecat.us/us/p/philips/22av11...ox-510214.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 12-22-2012, 06:00 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
This used TV board site shows one board in stock, if this is the right part number, for $89.00:

http://www.tvmodulesrus.com/searchquick-submit.sc?keywords=3.13926850095E11

The much better known ShopJimmy.com lists it, but shows as out of stock.
post #3 of 12 Old 12-23-2012, 06:59 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Channel99 View Post

This used TV board site shows one board in stock, if this is the right part number, for $89.00:
http://www.tvmodulesrus.com/searchquick-submit.sc?keywords=3.13926850095E11
The much better known ShopJimmy.com lists it, but shows as out of stock.

I'm willing to pay $89 to get my testing underway early, but there isn't enough info on the linked page for me to even begin to ascertain that it is what I am looking for. What search path and parameters did you use that led you to that item?
post #4 of 12 Old 12-23-2012, 08:05 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

The "jimmy" site says there is no known substitute.

Worse yet, if shopjimmy did have it, it is priced there at $129, but I can get Esseo or Technicolor set back boxes to act as input tuners for that price and they also handle MPEG4 whereas the original module does not, so if that is what the customer would have to pay if his removed input boards are irretrievably lost, then they simply are not going to be replaced.
post #5 of 12 Old 12-23-2012, 08:14 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Channel99 View Post

http://www.tvmodulesrus.com/searchquick-submit.sc?keywords=3.13926850095E11.

It looks like that is a trader site of some sort. Is it? If so, then at this point, I'd only be willing to buy that one board if I could contact the seller and make sure I can get it pronto somehow. Is there a communicarions means for corresponding prior to purchase?
post #6 of 12 Old 12-23-2012, 04:30 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I agree, that is a somewhat odd site.

I found the part number here at ShopJimmy.com, which I have purchased from several times. They are definitely legitimate.

http://www.shopjimmy.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=42HF7945D

TVModulesRUs has an eBay store with that name, but with seller name "305elektro", with 3000+ positive feedbacks. I have not bought from them myself, however. The part and model number did not produce results on their eBay site, but going direct to the TVModulesRUs web site produced the prior result. The TVModulesRUs site says they take PayPal, which is required on eBay, and is a pretty safe way to pay. The eBay store:

http://stores.ebay.com/TV-MODULES-R-US?_trksid=p2047675.l2563
post #7 of 12 Old 12-23-2012, 06:17 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I used eBay's Contact Seller feature to tell them that I would buy the item if they put it up as an eBay Buy it now, provided that we could pre-arrange either pickup on Monday or overnight shipping on Monday, to arrive Wednesday. Right now, it looks like this whole job is going to blow up in my face. I didn't order a pre-assembled 48 analog channel headend for this job because of my concern it will be canceled, so now, if it gets confirmed, I'll have to pull an all nighter plus to make the headend, followed by a two day, one man installation of 100 tuner boards in 100 rooms, one vertical trunkline at a time, to minimize room TV disruptions. I'm getting too old for this.
post #8 of 12 Old 12-24-2012, 03:03 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Bummer for me. Lodgenet claims that these sets never had any tuner boards in them, and I am inclined to conclude that to have been the case. It means that I wiill have to submit a proposal that includes $10,000 to $15,000 in converter boxes, and unfortuynately, I don;t have a cost advantage or product differentiation advantage when bidding against other program providers that I have when I can mix off-aitr, satellite TV and dedicated auxiliary A/V inputs. I either still get the job but with a smaller profit, or possiobly don't get the job at all.
post #9 of 12 Old 01-17-2013, 08:07 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I got the $89 used tuner board from tvmodulesrus.com and will be experimenting with it today, but it won't be part of a solution for this customer because we have been unable to find any more, and actually need 237 tuners because there are two TVs in nearly every room. And they cannot decode MPEG4 or Pro:Idiom... and these TVs can't accommodate :LMT7Z& or LMT 7Z9 cards... and those cards are no longer available new. Can anything else go wrong?

I still seek a Philips 22av1135-00 Smart Loader. Does anyone have one I can borrow, buy or rent?

I now have to get up to speed on 'servers" because as this industry passes me by, I may be missing out on the opportunity to clone these TVs without visiting each room, if I can get the customer to shell out a couple of grand for the right server.
post #10 of 12 Old 01-17-2013, 05:20 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

It turns out that my needs differed from what I had thought. I had not closely examined these Philips TVs, and so I just assumed that the functions were grouped as they were on LGH TVs. I figured that when the LMT-7XX Pro:Idiom tuner cards were installed, that less capable cards were removed. That was not the case. These TVs have a separate slot dedicated to the LG module and when inserted, it pre-empts the internal tuner functions, but the internal tuner was not removed, so I didn't even need this "replacement" original board to do what I wanted to do, which was test the tuner to see if it could process 8VSB broadcast signas while set to tune in the cable STD channel plan.

In post #8, I expressed concern that this hotel might have to spend $10,000 to $15,000 on set back boxes. It turns out that it would have been a lot more than that. The Enseo boxes I looked into sell for $245 each and it turns out that, unbeknownst to me, this hotel has two TVs in nearly every guest suite, so they would have had to spend $60,000 just on Pro:Idiom tuners if they couldn't find a more economical way to sustain tuning capability.
post #11 of 12 Old 01-17-2013, 05:52 PM
Thread Ender

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by AntAltMike View Post

.... so I didn't even need this replacement" original board to do what I wanted to do, which was test the tuner to see if it could process 8VSB broadcast signas while set to tune in the cable STD channel plan....

Soooo....

Can it?

Will it?

Does it?

Are you good to go?

confused.gif

Don't ever make the MISTAKE of buying a Samsung TV..
They consider THIS
normal on a two month old set..
post #12 of 12 Old 01-17-2013, 06:27 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I'm good to go for the initial installation, which is to say, I can now mix NTSC and broadcast clear 8VSB HDTV, but I will still eventually need to learn how to "program" the Pro:Idiom cards that I will be bypassing for now. There are pricey devices called "servers" that supposedly can hit all two hundred of them at one time, and there are laptop methods to do one at a time, and a local DirecVv dealer is going to have his "main man" go with me to one of their Pro:Idiom enabled sites and I am going to bring one of these customer TVs with me and make sure that we can aithorize or activate it to run on that system using either their laptop or their server, but that won't mske or break this deal, and for now, all I need it TV tuner capability, which I didn't think I had but which I in fact, do have.
Reply HDTV Technical

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page