Cicero, NY: Need OTA STB w/ HDMI for Epson HomeCinema 8100 projector. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 12-26-2012, 03:43 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I found this thread (http://www.avsforum.com/t/179095/the-official-avs-hdtv-stb-synopsis) which lists several tuner boxes worth considering, but after scanning the threads linked there, it sounds like there isn't a great option out there to allow watching OTA tv on my projector. Is there any concensus as to the best HDTV tuner currently to buy? I just want something cheap that will get the job done and not break. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-27-2012, 08:05 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked: 295
I did a quick search and there are at least 15 threads here asking the same question. We do ask that you look through existing threads before starting a new one. Here are a few that might help:

http://www.avsforum.com/t/365031/ota-stb-with-best-tuner
http://www.avsforum.com/t/101732/best-hd-stb
http://www.avsforum.com/t/209811/best-ota-hd-stb
http://www.avsforum.com/t/118247/best-stb-rca-dtc-100-or
http://www.avsforum.com/t/479478/which-ota-stbs-have-the-best-tuners

Granted, some of these are rather old, but there really isn't much new in the STB department as there's very little demand for them.

It also helps to have some specifics. Were do you live? What kind of projector? Do you need HDMI input or component or what?
I believe most here would point you to the Channel Master/Centronics box. But if you live close enough to the towers and only need component inputs, you could probably get away with any number of out-of-production boxes you can dig up on eBay or Craigslist.

Walking the fine line between jaw-dropping and a plain ol' yawn.
Old 12-27-2012, 08:11 AM - Thread Starter

I'll take a look at those threads, but it looks like they're all around 8-12 years old, so I wasn't sure how relevant the information still was. I only need to have RF input and HDMI output really. I have a Epson HomeCinema 8100 projector. I'm in Cicero, NY, so the signals I'm pulling in are relatively strong.
Old 12-27-2012, 08:16 AM

Not sure if this is the "best" unit but it should do the trick......
http://www.channelmaster.com/Digital_TV_and_HDTV_HD_digital_recorder_CM_7000PAL_DVR_s/120.htm
Old 12-27-2012, 08:40 AM
Super Moderator

Now that you've given us more information, I've edited the title to make it more specific.

Old 12-27-2012, 08:42 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimboy View Post

Not sure if this is the "best" unit but it should do the trick......
http://www.channelmaster.com/Digital_TV_and_HDTV_HD_digital_recorder_CM_7000PAL_DVR_s/120.htm

I'm not really looking for a DVR, so I'd like to avoid that due to the cost. And isn't PAL for use elsewhere in the world?
Old 12-27-2012, 08:54 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueWRXPride View Post

And isn't PAL for use elsewhere in the world?
A click on the user manual and a scroll to specifications would have shown you that it's an ATSC 8VSB tuner/dvr which is the United States standard. PAL is just part of the model number. Perhaps to insinuate "buddy." biggrin.gif Plus, I don't think anyone around here would point you to a European box unless you'd stated that's where you live. Gotta give AVS members a LITTLE credit. wink.gif

Old 12-27-2012, 08:56 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDon View Post

A click on the user manual and a scroll to specifications would have shown you that it's an ATSC 8VSB tuner/dvr which is the United States standard. PAL is just part of the model number. Perhaps to insinuate "buddy." biggrin.gif

Ok, just checking my knowledge really. I did read further and saw it mention ATSC, was just thrown off by the model number. What a horrible group of letters to put in a tv tuner model number!!
Old 12-27-2012, 08:59 AM

A little more "clicking" on the Channelmaster site would reveal this......
http://www.channelmaster.com/Digital_TV_and_HDTV_HD_digital_Antenna_Tuner_CM_7001_s/287.htm
Old 02-14-2013, 10:22 AM

AV setup
Samsung BD-6500 Blu Ray
Toshiba DVD/VCR Combo SD-V280 (previously only used as an amp for better sounding CATV viewing)
Epson Home Cinema 8350 Projector
Philips HTS3450 (5.1 Surround HTIB)

Hi BlueWRX!

I too am in the same boat as you!
Even more promblematic for me, I have a HTIB (home theater in a box) which is actually a self-contained unit.
The satellites and center channel wiring all plug into the back of the "AV Subwoofer" rather than an AV receiver,
and then from the subwoofer a heavy cable with a DB-15 or D-sub connector plugs into the back of the unit.
It predates HDMI though it does have digital coaxial Audio inputs and Component (Yipper) Video.
However, I am bound and determined to watch OTA HD on my Projector!

I have spent hours and hours reading the threads relating to this on HDTV Technical Forum, so please
don't berate me for not reading all the previous threads in this topic.
I have looked at almost every single product listed on the HD STB Synopsis!
For my choice of tuner, I have narrowed it down to three choices - in order of preference:

Humax HFA 100
Samsung DTB-260F
Channel Master CM-7001

So, we are seeking the same solution. My conundrum is this. As previous posters indicated, there is further
detailed connectivity information available on the Channel Master site. I reviewed this and came across something
I am confused about. My Epson PJ has no RF ins or outs. Yet, Channel Master says in order to use pass through RF
antenna (such as the HD antenna I will be using for OTA reception) you must connect an RF cable into the input on the back of the CM-7001 and then connect to the "TV" (which is a PJ not a TV in our case).
You can see this on page 7 (section 7.1)

What to do? I will be using HDMI to connect from my Projector to the Channel Master, and digital coax audio from the Channel Master to my Philips HTS "receiver" (since my receiver has no HDMI but it's worth mentioning that my Blu Ray has every connection under the sun and has HDMI connection to my surround box). My Toshiba Combo box also has Toslink and Digital Coax Audio Outs. I won't get audio without the audio connection. But I am stumped on the antenna. I thought it would be as simple as connecting the HD antenna to the Channel Master, connecting HDMI to Channel Master, then the simple audio connect, but this page 7 diagram makes it appear I need a bridged RF connection between the PJ and Channel Master - which isn't possible.
Bluewrx, please do let us know what solution you end up with, and if you are happy with the results. By all means, if any other forum members can answer the antenna passthrough question for me, I would be THRILLED. Maybe I am making this too complicated. Happy watching.
A Confused Newbie
Old 02-27-2013, 06:57 PM

Just an update....

I ended up purchasing a Humax HFA100 used on E-Bay. I got a killer deal on it since the guy had lost the remote. No biggie to me, I use the PJ more for movies and Blu-Ray content, and generally would only use the PJ for tv viewing when I KNOW for sure what I want to watch and for big sporting events such as the Superbowl, etc.).
In fact, maybe this little drawback will help me keep my lamp hours down because I won't be able to channel surf while laying around on the couch!

I have to say, the set up was super easy, and only one RF connection was needed (from Humax STB Tuner to the HD Antenna).
So far I am pretty happy with this Humax, it has alot of features and supports 1080i.
Happy viewing to all.