antenna recs: Albany, NY area - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 01-02-2013, 11:37 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi
I'm looking for an antenna (and possible amplifier) that would be able to receive our local channels and provide a signal to 3 tv's. The antenna will be located in the attic of our 2 story home. I was looking at the RCA ANT751.

My data from tv fool is as follows:
http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=29&q=id%3dcc49026d635fa2

Thank you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 01-02-2013, 05:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 19
You are close to the towers and have good line of sight. However the ANT751 is good for Ch's 7-69, and WRGB is on Ch 6. So you could either add an indoor rabbit ears and combine it with the ANT751, or perhaps just get an indoor UHF/VHF antenna from Radio Shack and see if you get all the channels.
I don't think you need an amp, but you will not know until you start splitting up the signal to the 3 tv's.
post #3 of 5 Old 01-03-2013, 10:34 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Don't bother with rabbit ears at trying to get RF 6. Anything on 2-6 are next to impossible to get with rabbit ears, due to having to readjusting them constantly (if you get a picture). If the OP insists on getting the RCA ANT751 antenna, then an FM can be added to get RF 6 (heard many people are using those to get WPVI-TV, since it's close to the FM band). The other option would be the Winegard HD7000R, since it's about the same size as the RCA ANT751, but has the elements for VHF-Lo (needed for RF 6). For Winegard, I would have recommended the FVHD45 antenna, or from Antennacraft, the 5884 or C290. If the OP still wants small, the AC9 from Antennacraft.

The fill-in translators that the CBS, ABC, & NBC affiliates have are for those who are further out in the market, & can't get the main signals, due to terrain. You're that close that the translators may or may not come in. That's why you especially need an antenna that will pick up RF 6, & the RCA ANT751 won't do it.
post #4 of 5 Old 01-03-2013, 02:06 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
Thanks for the recs. I missed the fact that the RCA doesn't pick up channel 6. I don't have high hopes for getting that channel. The signal that I would get over cable didn't even look good. At least there's a CBS app for XBMC. The winecraft antenna looks good. Thanks again!!
post #5 of 5 Old 01-03-2013, 04:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2kCougar View Post

Thanks for the recs. I missed the fact that the RCA doesn't pick up channel 6. I don't have high hopes for getting that channel. The signal that I would get over cable didn't even look good. At least there's a CBS app for XBMC. The winecraft antenna looks good. Thanks again!!

WRGB is a very strong signal. You should have no problems getting it.
I had my antenna pointed towards Utica to the NW to get WKTV about 90 degrees off axis with WRGB, and I was still picking up WRGB with no issues.
Reply HDTV Technical

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page