DirecTV to two sets? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 16 Old 01-05-2013, 10:46 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
For years, I have used cable. The cable box had multiple outputs, and I was able to use the HDMI output for my projection screen and a coaxial output which I sent to another HD tv in the adjacent "play" room. I need these tvs to be on the same feed because there is no way for the small tv set to compete with my loudspeakers in the theater due to the rooms being open to each other. The idea is that I can watch a game on the big screen or walk into the "play" room to continue watching while playing a game of pool.

Recently, my wife signed up for DirecTV as part of our cost cutting for the year. I have the Genie receiver which has an HDMI output for my theater. However, the only other output is a 10 pin A/V. Is there anything I can get that would allow me to connect this to the coaxial line that runs to my other tv? Or are there other solutions such as a wireless transmitter? Would any options give me HD on the second tv?

With a separate receiver in both rooms, live tv is delayed by about 8 seconds to the small box, so that is not a solution that would work for me. Thanks for any advice!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 01-05-2013, 12:23 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 255
If you were using coax from the cable box to the second TV, then you weren't getting HD on the second TV to begin with, unless you had it doing pass-thru and you were getting unencrypted locals via your 2nd set's tuner. CNN, ESPN and the like would have been in SD.

Coax is pretty much out for what you're asking. You'll need a hdmi splitter and the ability to fish a long HDMI cable to your second set. This is the best way to go. I have one DirecTV receiver feeding four sets in different rooms via HDMI cabling. Works beautifully.

There IS a wireless HDMI extender. I have had no experience with those, however, so I can't speak for any interference issues they might have.

Walking the fine line between jaw-dropping and a plain ol' yawn.
post #3 of 16 Old 01-05-2013, 12:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 31
All of the outputs on DirecTV receivers are on simultaneously, which means that you could have a set connected to the HDMI output, another set connected to the component outputs, and yet another set connected to the composite outputs all at the same time. Only the HDMI and the component connected sets would be in HD, of course. If you're not particularly concerned about HD in the playroom, just get a modulator for the composite outputs and run it through the existing coax from your D* box to the playroom TV.
kc500 likes this.

CIAO!

Ed N.
post #4 of 16 Old 01-06-2013, 11:53 PM

If you have a genie, all you have to do is get a client box and a dtv approved "green label" splitter, and a subscription to whole home dvr service. Hook up the line going to your sat in to the in port on the splitter, and your two lines to the outs. This creates a network between the genie and client box. You pay for the client box up front but not monthly like you would a receiver. The client box uses a tuner from your genie so you can turn it to any desired channel, and comes with hdmi, composite, and component outs with no time delays.
post #5 of 16 Old 01-07-2013, 12:23 PM - Thread Starter

I have the Genie and whole home dvr. Also, the tv in question has a C31 700 client box installed. However, the DTV installer said that the signal could not be split. Thanks, I will look into what you said.

One question: Is there a limit to the number of tvs that can use the whole home dvr? I have two other tvs on the same type box, plus two tvs on standard def boxes. My son would like to replace his standard def with another high def box with dvr access (at his cost).
post #6 of 16 Old 01-07-2013, 09:11 PM - Thread Starter

After my previous post, I realized that I misunderstood you. My second tv already has a client connected to the Genie. It is a full 8 seconds behind the feed directly from the Genie. Thus, my problem. Obviously it has a significant delay...or my wiring is done wrong.
post #7 of 16 Old 01-07-2013, 11:41 PM

This is the first that I have heard of the client being behind the genie.. But apparently it is common. Your best option would be to get an hd receiver at the other TV.. And yes your installer could have split the line there, but it is connected to a splitter somewhere or else the client wouldn't be working.

The whole home system is limited to three clients with a genie and up to three other tuners ( 3 hds, or 1 hddvr and 1hd). The system its limited to eight tuners, the genie uses five, the clients are assigned tuners from the genie and any other receivers get three remaining.
So your son could get an hd receiver and it will be fine with the whole home, if you keep it within the eight tuner limit.

Sounds like dtv is working on a software issue, http://forums.directv.com/pe/elementDisplayRedirect.jsp?elementID=11152332
post #8 of 16 Old 01-08-2013, 05:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by wierdolme View Post

After my previous post, I realized that I misunderstood you. My second tv already has a client connected to the Genie. It is a full 8 seconds behind the feed directly from the Genie. Thus, my problem. Obviously it has a significant delay...or my wiring is done wrong.

There is always going to be some delay, we watch football in two different rooms at the same time using HD DVRs and they're not in sync at all. It's not an 8 second delay though, that's huge.
post #9 of 16 Old 01-04-2014, 08:03 AM

Liked: 11

I came across your post because I am looking to resolve the same issue.  I have this working in my family room and my kitchen with the Genie in the family room

(DTV box -> composite out -> converter-> coax -> kitchen tv)  no device in the kitchen so I don't experience a delay and the sound comes through simultaneous.  Only issue is the tv in the kitchen is hd quality and coax doesn't do it justice.  

I ran HDMI from genie in family room to kitchen TV (haven't fished it all the way through) but now feeling slightly stupid because I didn't check to see that there wasn't a second HDMI out on the receiver. 

Interested in a solution that does not involve another DTV device (especially one that will cause a delay)

post #10 of 16 Old 01-04-2014, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by egnlsn View Post

All of the outputs on DirecTV receivers are on simultaneously, which means that you could have a set connected to the HDMI output, another set connected to the component outputs, and yet another set connected to the composite outputs all at the same time. Only the HDMI and the component connected sets would be in HD, of course. If you're not particularly concerned about HD in the playroom, just get a modulator for the composite outputs and run it through the existing coax from your D* box to the playroom TV.

Hi, I'm currently using a modulator / converter for the composite out to coax to run to my kitchen- works great, no delay but would like to improve picture quality.  I ran a second HDMI from Genie in family room before even checking that there was no second HDMI output... oops.

Is there a modulator or converter for comoponent outputs to HDMI? 

post #11 of 16 Old 01-04-2014, 09:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I have not used one, but there are HDMI splitters. Do a search at Monoprice.com. You can use one source to feed two TVs via HDMI this way. Of course, they would have to be tuned to the same station.

SMK
egnlsn and kc500 like this.
post #12 of 16 Old 01-04-2014, 12:44 PM

Thanks so much, I found one at monoprice.  Eventually will get a receiver to handle all this but $32.  vs  $300+ sounds much better for the budget right now!

egnlsn likes this.
post #13 of 16 Old 01-06-2014, 12:58 AM

right,Eventually will get a receiver to handle all this but $32. vs $300+ sounds much better for the budget right now!

67jnKg

post #14 of 16 Old 01-07-2014, 08:17 PM

Can you suggest a modulator or converter that will convert rca (yellow, white, red) to coax output?
post #15 of 16 Old 01-07-2014, 09:21 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcomstoc View Post

Can you suggest a modulator or converter that will convert rca (yellow, white, red) to coax output?

Any number of "RF" converters exist. I don't know what city you are in, but Wal Mart, K mart, Best Buy, or any comparable variety/electronics store will have them.
Or, do an internet search of "RF converter". They can be found cheaply.

In space, no one can eat ice cream - Killer Klowns From Outer Space
post #16 of 16 Old 01-08-2014, 07:21 PM

I just ordered an rca brand from Walmart for $9 ... now my next question is whether my IR repeater can work on the same line as the RF modulator. Any ideas?
Reply HDTV Technical

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page