Can I Wirelessly Connect Desktop PC to HDTV (i.e. Via HDMI Wireless)? - AVS Forum

AVS Forum > HDTV > HDTV Technical > Can I Wirelessly Connect Desktop PC to HDTV (i.e. Via HDMI Wireless)?

HDTV Technical

Scott_111's Avatar Scott_111
02:58 AM Liked: 11
post #1 of 4
01-09-2013 | Posts: 134
I have a Dell Inspiron 560s desktop which I would like to connect to my HDTV (Vizio VT420M) via wireless HDMI. The Netgear PTV2000 PC to TV wireless display adapter looks as if it does exactly what I want, i.e. have my TV displaying the same information that my computer monitor is displaying. The problem is that my PC is a desktop and not a laptop so it does not have WiDi capability that laptops have and which it would need to communicate with the Netgear adapter.

Is there any way to accomplish what I am trying to do….such as getting a stand-alone wireless adapter for the PC and do it without spending a fortune? Also, would a wireless HDMI PC to TV connection of the type I am describing include audio also? The product descriptions are confusing since they discuss video display only but it would make no sense to connect a PC to a TV in this manner without having the audio transmitted as well. Thanks in advance for any feedback.
DrDon's Avatar DrDon
09:41 AM Liked: 295
post #3 of 4
01-09-2013 | Posts: 12,832
It's not always there, but Costco has the same thing for about $50 less. Almost bought one. Wish I had. Hasn't been at the store my last couple trips.
Scott_111's Avatar Scott_111
07:26 PM Liked: 11
post #4 of 4
01-09-2013 | Posts: 134
Thanks for the responses. The Monoprice is a little steep but it looks as if it does what I am looking for. I will also look around for cheaper prices such as the one mentioned at Cosco.

Update - 01/10/13

In case anyone is interested, I have discovered that Dell does indeed provide the type of wireless display capability I am looking for not just on laptops but on *some* desktops as well (desktop must be based on 3rd generation Intel Core Processor). It basically requires just a download of drivers and other software from Intel's web site and will only work on Windows 7 and 8. Obviously it still requires a wireless adapter on the TV just as it would when using a laptop.

http://www.intel.com/support/wireless/sb/CS-033372.htm
Reply HDTV Technical

Subscribe to this Thread