Chicago area outdoor OTA HD roof antenna recommendations - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 01-11-2013, 06:29 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello. I think I'm going to purchase a home in the West Town neighborhood of downtown Chicago. As part of the purchase, the current owner has agreed to install an outdoor roof antenna for me and run the line down into the main cable distribution box for the house (45 ft run or so).

I don't know much about outdoor OTA roof antennas. What type of antenna should I get? I'm primarily interested in HD channels which I believe are mostly UHF but I'd like to get VHF channels too. What brand? Best place to buy? Also, should I get an amplified antenna? Please keep in mind that although it's being installed for me, I do have to pay for the antenna itself so I'm looking for something at a reasonable cost.

Any and all recommendations and guidance is greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 01-12-2013, 04:49 AM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 218
Start by running a TVFool.com report for the address and post the link, here (address will not show).

Walking the fine line between jaw-dropping and a plain ol' yawn.
post #3 of 7 Old 01-12-2013, 06:32 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks DrDon, below is the tvfool.com report.

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=29&q=id%3dc84f76c5acef39

I really appreciate the help.
post #4 of 7 Old 01-12-2013, 01:28 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I don't know how soon WBBM-TV plans to get their translator on the air. If they ever get it on the air, you could get away with a 2 bay whisker antenna, since WBBM-TV's translator is on RF 26 (their main channel is on RF 12, a VHF channel). Otherwise, the RCA ANT751 antenna is just the right size for being that close to the towers. You don't want a lot of gain on the antenna, so small is better in this case. Another choice is the Antennacraft HBU22 or Winegard HD7694. These choices are only if WOCK-CD isn't important, which WOCK-CD is on RF 4. WOCK-CD has Mundo Fox, Mega TV (Spanish language), a simulcast of WOCH-CA 41 for now (not sure what's on that channel now), & English language network America One. I will only recommend antennas for WOCK-CD, if that channel is important to get. Otherwise, the Antennacraft HBU22, Winegard HD7694 & RCA ANT751 are recommended choices for your location.
post #5 of 7 Old 01-13-2013, 01:27 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 19

Most people that live in or close to downtown often have multipath issues, because of all the tall buildings.

post #6 of 7 Old 01-13-2013, 04:57 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave73 View Post

I don't know how soon WBBM-TV plans to get their translator on the air. If they ever get it on the air, you could get away with a 2 bay whisker antenna, since WBBM-TV's translator is on RF 26 (their main channel is on RF 12, a VHF channel). Otherwise, the RCA ANT751 antenna is just the right size for being that close to the towers. You don't want a lot of gain on the antenna, so small is better in this case. Another choice is the Antennacraft HBU22 or Winegard HD7694. These choices are only if WOCK-CD isn't important, which WOCK-CD is on RF 4. WOCK-CD has Mundo Fox, Mega TV (Spanish language), a simulcast of WOCH-CA 41 for now (not sure what's on that channel now), & English language network America One. I will only recommend antennas for WOCK-CD, if that channel is important to get. Otherwise, the Antennacraft HBU22, Winegard HD7694 & RCA ANT751 are recommended choices for your location.

Thanks dave73. Appreciate the recommendations. Of the three, which would you choose? I'm not sure how to differentiate between the three.

Thanks again!
post #7 of 7 Old 01-13-2013, 09:11 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skipswift View Post

Thanks dave73. Appreciate the recommendations. Of the three, which would you choose? I'm not sure how to differentiate between the three.

Thanks again!

Being that close to downtown Chicago, it's a matter of preference. For now, you have to have VHF-Hi for CBS, as they haven't put the translator on the air yet. All other full power stations are on the UHF (WLS-TV has a full power VHF translator for now). If you want the smallest antenna that you can get away with, then the RCA ANT751 would be the best choice. Otherwise, either of the 2 I mentioned (Winegard HD7694 or Antenacraft HBU22) will work just fine

I just wished WBBM-TV had their translator on the air right now, & I would just suggest a DB2e from Antennas Direct, or the Eagle Aspen 2 bay antenna. If you think you can go without CBS for the time being, then you can go UHF only. Before I forget, you never answered one of my original questions. Is WOCK-CD important to you? I say this, because 2 of the channels have Spanish language programming available, & if it's important, I would only recommend longer element antennas for that one station.
Reply HDTV Technical

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page