Coaxial cable splitter lowers number of OTA channels received? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 01-20-2013, 11:16 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi,

I am using standard Channel Master Antenna to receive OTA.

I decided I wanted to use the UHF to improve my FM signal for the FM radio functionality of my receiver.

In order to connect to the FM input on my receiver, I need to split the signal coming in from outside.

I am using a simple Y-spliter coaxial box (gold in color: very common in North America) to split it. However when I split it, the number of OTA channels I receive drops from about 20 to about 15 the moment I add the spliter. I go from the spliter to the digital analog converter box (I have a CRT TV).

Any advice on why adding a spliter reduces my signal and how I can improve it so that I can still get the benefits of using my UHF antenna for FM radio would be greatly appreciated.

thanks

Chris
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 01-20-2013, 12:42 PM
Thread Ender

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Adding the splitter reduces the signal level at the device by about 2.5db (assuming a two way splitter). to get the signal level back up you will have to add a signal amplifier.

Don't ever make the MISTAKE of buying a Samsung TV..
They consider THIS
normal on a two month old set..
post #3 of 5 Old 01-20-2013, 12:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by haggisns View Post

Hi,

I am using standard Channel Master Antenna to receive OTA.

I decided I wanted to use the UHF to improve my FM signal for the FM radio functionality of my receiver.

In order to connect to the FM input on my receiver, I need to split the signal coming in from outside.

I am using a simple Y-spliter coaxial box (gold in color: very common in North America) to split it. However when I split it, the number of OTA channels I receive drops from about 20 to about 15 the moment I add the spliter. I go from the spliter to the digital analog converter box (I have a CRT TV).

Any advice on why adding a spliter reduces my signal and how I can improve it so that I can still get the benefits of using my UHF antenna for FM radio would be greatly appreciated.

thanks

Chris

A. FM is VHF, not UHF
B. Adding a 1->2 splitter reduces the signal by about 3.5dB on each leg.
post #4 of 5 Old 01-20-2013, 01:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 65
C. Your "UHF" isn't going to help pick FM. That's what FM antennas are for.
post #5 of 5 Old 01-20-2013, 01:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 55
RF Splitter has AT LEAST 3.5 dB loss and MAY have additional 0.5-1.5+ dB on higher freqs.

You didn't say what kind of "standard" C-M antenna you are using (VHF/UHF Combo???), so we don't really know whether it has useful Gain in the FM Band. It would help if you entered your location into www.tvfool.com and copy/paste the results URL into a post so we can see which channels you have in Lo-VHF, Hi-VHF and UHF Bands and can assess which Preamp (if any) is suitable for your situation.

If you don't need to receive Ch2-6 and your antenna has useful FM Gain, then a HLSJ Lo-VHF/Hi-VHF (+UHF) Band Splitter may be what you need to feed your FM Receiver. Note that loss on Ch14-51 is only 0.7 dB:
http://www.hollandelectronics.com/catalog/upload_file/Filters-Diplexers.pdf
Reply HDTV Technical

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page