different sound from different channels? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 01-20-2013, 03:15 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 177 Post(s)
Liked: 225
Please help. In Oregon, have a Comcast HD. I read in a forum, can't remember which one, someone told me it's a setting on my cable box. For example, was just watching the 49ners game and getting full 5 speaker surround but no sub. Then I flipped over to the Ravens/Patriots game and now it's only center channel and sub.

DIY Sound Group Volt 10 surround speaker build

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Setup Thread

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 01-20-2013, 03:26 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 270
Sounds like an issue with your local broadcaster.

How is the box with cable-only channels... HBO, ESPN, Showtime, etc?

And where in Oregon are you? You neglected to put a location in your profile. So much of this is city-specific. Can't help you if we don't know where you are. I'd link you to your local reception thread where there's probably an answer, but I can't without that information.

See my profile at the left and add a location to yours.

Thanks.

Walking the fine line between jaw-dropping and a plain ol' yawn.
post #3 of 9 Old 01-20-2013, 03:32 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Sounds like an issue with your local broadcaster.

How is the box with cable-only channels... HBO, ESPN, Showtime, etc?

And where in Oregon are you? You neglected to put a location in your profile. So much of this is city-specific. Can't help you if we don't know where you are. I'd link you to your local reception thread where there's probably an answer, but I can't without that information.

See my profile at the left and add a location to yours.

Thanks.

Yea, it becomes full surround with those channels. I'm in Eugene, OR. Wasn't sure where to put this thread and this seemed like the best place.

My Setup Thread

post #4 of 9 Old 01-20-2013, 09:00 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

anyone? better thread placement for this?

My Setup Thread

post #5 of 9 Old 01-21-2013, 06:23 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked: 286
It would helpful to provide how the cable box and/or TV is connected to audio device(s). For example: HDMI to TV? Optical from TV to AVR? Analog, optical or coax from STB to AVR? Analog audio (red/white) to TV, etc....

Also, what is the make/model of your AVR?
What is the make/model of your cable STB?

OTOH, I agree with DrDon. If all other channels seem be work properly, it may have been an audio problem with your local feed at that time. IF it happens all the time with only that specific channel.... complain to Comcast.
post #6 of 9 Old 01-21-2013, 12:03 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
It would helpful to provide how the cable box and/or TV is connected to audio device(s). For example: HDMI to TV? Optical from TV to AVR? Analog, optical or coax from STB to AVR? Analog audio (red/white) to TV, etc....

Also, what is the make/model of your AVR?
What is the make/model of your cable STB?

OTOH, I agree with DrDon. If all other channels seem be work properly, it may have been an audio problem with your local feed at that time. IF it happens all the time with only that specific channel.... complain to Comcast.

It's connected hdmi to an Onkyo TX-NR609 then hdmi to tv. I don't know the cable box, it's a basic HD tuner box from comcast. I don't watch too much tv besides sports so I didn't get a dvr one. I think I will just connect hdmi to tv then optical to the Onkyo.

My Setup Thread

post #7 of 9 Old 01-21-2013, 02:06 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlpowell84 View Post

I read in a forum, can't remember which one, someone told me it's a setting on my cable box. .
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlpowell84 View Post

I don't know the cable box, it's a basic HD tuner box from comcast. I don't watch too much tv besides sports so I didn't get a dvr one.

If your suspect it's a cable box setting, I'm sure if you provide the specifics, someone could provide the correct settings/options. Look for a label on the bottom or back of the box.
Quote:
I think I will just connect hdmi to tv then optical to the Onkyo.
Most TV's do not passthrough Dolby Digital (5.1/surround) via the optical output of the TV from an external source.
post #8 of 9 Old 01-21-2013, 03:07 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Quote:
I think I will just connect hdmi to tv then optical to the Onkyo.Most TV's do not passthrough Dolby Digital (5.1/surround) via the optical output of the TV from an external source.

I have a Panasonic ST50. I had it that way when I first hooked it up. I thought it was 5.1 but could be wrong.

My Setup Thread

post #9 of 9 Old 01-21-2013, 03:20 PM
AVS Addicted Member

What's the make/model number of the cable box?

Your TV probably passed PCM Stereo, not DD5.1 and your AVR converted to DPL and provided a matrixed 5.1 surround.

What about the other questions?
Does it happen on only one channel?
Is there an issue now?

How about the call letters of the station/channel in question? Maybe they just had a problem that day.
Reply HDTV Technical

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page