DirecTV wiring - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 01-23-2013, 11:29 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thinking of dropping Comcast, where I have no HD service and no DVR for DirecTV. Never had a satellite service before, so I have a question about how an installer would hook up a Genie system with two mini clients (3 TVs total). I've called DirecTV customer service, and while they were helpful in determining what my real cost would be, they referred installation questions to whomever comes to do my install.

Currently my cable service is split at the drop three ways -- one line to our main TV in the living room, one line to a bedroom and one line to the kitchen. Would DirecTV run a single cable from my dish and hook it into my existing 3-way split outside the house? Would they run 3 cables from the dish and then connect them to each of to my lines? Or do they run one line to the Genie DVR, and then two lines from that to my other TVs? If I do switch to DirecTV, I'd like to make sure I have as much interior coax correctly run before the install. I'd also like to know if I'm going to be hiding one cable or three in my landscaping around the house.

I've also been reading about the new HR44 Genie which is coming out in the future and will be wireless. Would that eliminate all cable runs to my secondary TVs or would I still need them to be hard wired with coax and the wireless feature would only be to use the Genie DVR?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 01-24-2013, 06:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 39
The 44 is not wireless as far as connecting to the other receivers or the dish, only for connection to the internet. It could happen some time in the future but none of the clients have any wireless capability.
post #3 of 7 Old 01-24-2013, 07:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Joed32 pretty much has you covered on the HR44 question. It still requires a coax connection between it and the satellite, as do all other receivers/mini clients throughout the house. What it adds is WiFi connectivity to your home internet network to give your DirecTV system access to the internet and your computer network. Internet access is used for stuff like downloading on-demand programming, watching you-tube, listening to Pandora, using other web-apps (which I think are shut down right now but supposedly coming back soon). It also talks to your computer network so you can use stuff like the DirecTV iPad/iPhone/Android apps, the Nomad device, and DirecTV2PC.

As far as the install goes I'm pretty sure all HD installs now use SWM, or Single Wire Mutliswitch setups. That means they only need one coax wire to each receiver, and it can be split along the way as long as it isn't split too many times. From your description it should be pretty easy for them to do the install at your home, and they should be able to re-use your current cable runs as long as they are good quality. Since you only want one Genie DVR and two thin clients you will only have 5 tuners, which means they will use a SWM LNB. That means they will only need to run one coax wire from the dish. They will run that single wire to the location where your current 3 way split is. They will replace your current splitter with a splitter of their own (hopefully a 4 way, but a lot of times the techs only use 8 ways), with a higher signal bandwidth rating. They will then install the thin clients and Genie in the rooms you want them in. One of those coax runs will also get a SWM power inserter installed in line on it to power the LNB and multiswitch inside the LNB. They will also most likely install a Wireless DECA adapter (assuming you don't get an HR44) to hook your system up to your home WiFi network.

Hope that helps.
cp2068 likes this.
post #4 of 7 Old 01-24-2013, 07:18 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks Beerstalker, that's what I was wondering.
post #5 of 7 Old 01-24-2013, 07:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerstalker View Post

with a higher signal bandwidth rating.
Hope that helps.
Also a lower bandwidth. They go down to 2MHz, as the receiver talks to the SWM at 2.3MHz. They also have a bandstop filter integrated into the splitter. If a splitter other than their's (green label) is going to be used, there also needs to be a bandstop filter on the input of the splitter to prevent the ethernet signals (475-625MHz) from backfeeding to the LNB (dish).

CIAO!

Ed N.
post #6 of 7 Old 01-25-2013, 01:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Actually that last part isn't true. If there was a bandstop filter in the splitters you wouldn't be able to daisy chain them off each other and have Whole Home DVR/DECA still work through all of them. There is a green labeled SWM LNB that has the band stop filter built into it, as well as green labelled SWM-8, SWM-16, and SWM-32 multiswitches that have the band stop filters built into them. None of the splitters do.

If you were to use a green labelled splitter and DECA system with a non-green labelled SWM LNB or SWM-8/16/32 multiswitch, then you would have to add in bandstop filters to protect them.
post #7 of 7 Old 01-25-2013, 01:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Oh, I thought the green label splitters had the filter on the input. I stand corrected. Thanks!

CIAO!

Ed N.
Reply HDTV Technical

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page