VHF signal gain/loss - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 01-25-2013, 12:23 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I have a 50 foot coax cable ran between my TV and my antenna, which is actually an outdoor antenna but I use it indoors since it is only 3 feet long. In addition to a few UHF stations, I pick up one VHF channel constantly and then another that only comes in occasionally. However, when I move around to different places in my living room, the signal either increases or decreases.

For example, the occasional channel was at about 15% signal quality when I was sitting on the couch, and it stayed around that number when I walked down the hallway. However, when I stood in front of my converter box, it jumped up to about 25%. Then, I moved over to my computer which is several feet to the right of the TV, and it instantly dropped to about 5% and was breaking up. I tried turning off the computer and unplugging the modem, but it didn't help.

Both of those VHF stations' towers are at least 75 miles away and aren't even in my TV market (or DMA). Also, all of the UHF stations come in the same no matter where I am, including one that is only 10 miles away. I didn't buy quad shield cable, and it seemed like I didn't need it for my situation. But, I am wondering if it would have made any difference with the issue I described above. Can anyone help me out?

My TV Fool report:
http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=29&q=id%3d1dda59e9f55536
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 01-25-2013, 12:32 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 267
Sure, but as stated at the top of the section, we need a location and your TVFool information.

That said, I'd hazard a guess you're creating your own multipath issues as you move around the house. Get a combo antenna and get it higher. Say, on the roof. You'll probably need to be up there to get anything from 70 miles reliably.

But can't say for sure without a location and the report, which is why we put up a sticky thread for you to read before posting.

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1409080/note-put-a-location-in-the-title-of-all-antenna-threads-tvfool-info-in-1st-post

Walking the fine line between jaw-dropping and a plain ol' yawn.
post #3 of 10 Old 01-25-2013, 12:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Sounds like you have an amplified antenna and, as DrDon wrote, you create multipath or reflections as you move around the room. Quad-shield cable won't have any effect on that. Either put up that antenna outside or don't try to watch those channels.

CIAO!

Ed N.
post #4 of 10 Old 01-25-2013, 12:45 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the quick replies. I mainly just wanted to see if quad shield cable would have made any difference on that second VHF channel that comes in occasionally. Surprisingly, that first VHF channel already comes in very strongly (normally 100% strength and quality) because my area has line-of-sight to their broadcast tower. The effect on that channel is minimal when I move around.
post #5 of 10 Old 01-25-2013, 02:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked: 92
I would guess you are getting a good signal from WSPA RF7 and a sporadic signal from WLOS RF-13. What type of antenna are you using? A Clearstream 2 or DB2? You may need a VHF dipole to have a more reliable signal from 13, and perhaps an amp to stabilize the signal. I would try a Terk HDTVa as an inside antenna. It has a good UHF element and rabbit ears for VHF. And you can try it with the amp turned on or off, but it must be plugged in. And you would have better luck with both the GSP and Charlotte signals with a good outdoor antenna and preamp.
post #6 of 10 Old 01-25-2013, 02:52 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Where are you located?
post #7 of 10 Old 01-25-2013, 02:53 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerSC View Post

I would guess you are getting a good signal from WSPA RF7 and a sporadic signal from WLOS RF-13. What type of antenna are you using? A Clearstream 2 or DB2? You may need a VHF dipole to have a more reliable signal from 13, and perhaps an amp to stabilize the signal. I would try a Terk HDTVa as an inside antenna. It has a good UHF element and rabbit ears for VHF. And you can try it with the amp turned on or off, but it must be plugged in. And you would have better luck with both the GSP and Charlotte signals with a good outdoor antenna and preamp.

You are correct about WSPA, but the other VHF channel I get is WNTV. I've never picked up WLOS, but I can occasionally watch their newscasts through WMYA when it comes in. I use an RCA ANT751R antenna with a Kitztech KT-100VG amplifier.
post #8 of 10 Old 01-25-2013, 03:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
WNTV is at a significantly lower elevation than WSPA, and is further from your location. Therefore I would expect its signal to have more issues with the intervening terrain.
post #9 of 10 Old 01-25-2013, 03:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked: 92
Forgot about RF9. Anyhow, the Kitztech is supposedly a very good low noise amp, and that 751 antenna does have elements for VHF. But to get better reception of GSP and Charlotte channels, a better UHF/HiVHF combo antenna outside would be recommended. If you were interested. Something like a Winegard 7698 or Antennacraft HBU55. But even inside, a Clearstream 2 or DB2e would probably provide better results for the UHF channels and may even still get WSPA.
post #10 of 10 Old 01-25-2013, 04:39 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerSC View Post

Forgot about RF9. Anyhow, the Kitztech is supposedly a very good low noise amp, and that 751 antenna does have elements for VHF. But to get better reception of GSP and Charlotte channels, a better UHF/HiVHF combo antenna outside would be recommended. If you were interested. Something like a Winegard 7698 or Antennacraft HBU55. But even inside, a Clearstream 2 or DB2e would probably provide better results for the UHF channels and may even still get WSPA.

Thanks for the suggestion! smile.gif
Reply HDTV Technical

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page