Directv HD DVR HR24-100 + Onkyo TX-NR709 + Samsung UND7900 = Which one should do the upscaling? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 01-26-2013, 10:53 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So I was messing with the format/picture size setting on the tv, directv receiver, and the av receiver. I realized that 1080p programming still does not exist unless you are renting a movie, so everything that is labeled as HD is actually 1080i. So, I realized I had my AV receiver set to auto, my directv set to display 1080p and 1080i only, and the tv set to 16:9. Which should I set to passthrough/through, and which should I set to auto? or should I set one to 1080p? I mean you can change both picture size and video output format options for each of the three devices, so Im at a loss as to how to set each one. It makes my brain hurt. Please let me know what you guys recommend.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-27-2013, 12:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 510 Post(s)
Liked: 1026
DirecTV does offer 1080p, it's just charged for on a ppv basis. In a similar setup (DirecTV HR24-500, Onkyo HTRC370, Samsung PN59D8000) I let my tv do the video processing rather than the AVR (after trying both ways, looked better without the AVR's processor), and check off all possible formats on the DirecTV settings. Hope that helps.

"I realize that somebody playing free music isn't as commercial as a hamburger stand. But is it because you can eat a hamburger and hold it in your hand and you can't do that with music? Is it too free to control?" - Don Van Vliet (aka Captain Beefheart) discussing commercial success in the music biz

Old 01-27-2013, 12:34 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovinthehd View Post

DirecTV does offer 1080p, it's just charged for on a ppv basis. In a similar setup (DirecTV HR24-500, Onkyo HTRC370, Samsung PN59D8000) I let my tv do the video processing rather than the AVR (after trying both ways, looked better without the AVR's processor), and check off all possible formats on the DirecTV settings. Hope that helps.
So in order to do as you suggested, should I set avr to auto or through?and the tv let's me chooSe either 16:9 or screen fit, which one is right? And lastly, when you say check off you mean they should all be checked or they should all be unchecked?

Tags
Onkyo Tx Nr709