Question for Videophiles- Digital Processing - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 02-01-2013, 10:34 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
The answer could be right under my nose on this one but I thought I would ask: I recently picked up a Pioneer Elite SC-65 and pair of Polk TSI400 speakers and an 8"sub which connects to my Panasonic LED and Blu-Ray player.

I think the Panasonic Blu-Ray player might be a weak link because there are so many better players out there like the Oppo or even the Pioneer Elite BDP. The Receiver has a pretty good video processor to up-convert standard definition formats already and it processes HD signals well.

My question is this: What benefit is there to buying a better BDP like the Oppo when the Receiver does all of the work decoding these signals? As an input device, wouldn't anything better be negligible?

Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 02-02-2013, 05:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 52
ALL Blu-Ray Players output the SAME digital stream of ones-and zeros for Stereo (PCM), Dolby Digital 5.1 and DTS 5.1 via Digital Optical Output (Optical TOSLINK or SPDIF Coax). Ditto for digital audio via HDMI...which can ALSO output the Hi-Rez NON-Compressed Digital Audio formats.....which your AVR can decode. Since your AVR already decodes new Hi-Rez Digital Audio formats, there is NO DIFFERENCE between budget and high-end Blu-Ray Players...bits are bits.

FYI: OPPO is one of a very small number of Blu-Ray Players that can ALSO output the Hi-Rez NON-Compressed Digital Audio formats via the 7.1 (or 5.1) Discrete ANALOG Audio outputs DIRECT to older non-HDMI AVRs (if it has Discrete 5.1 or 7.1 inputs). That was a big selling point for me...no need to upgrade from my Pioneer VSX-1015 with it's low transient distortion due to use of Power MOSFETs....DLNA was also a plus for me, but I see that it's in your AVR.

Replacing 8-in Sub-Woofer with 10-in or preferably 12-in ACTIVE Sub-Woofer with Motion Feedback will provide a very noticeable improvement....A single channel One-Third-Octave Active Equalizer (or Behringer Parametic Equalizer) located between the AVR and the Active Sub-Woofer would be the next step to suppress the boomy room modes and boost the levels for those frequencies that need additional gain....so you can hear ALL of the notes on a Bass Guitar (or Pipe Organ, or Drum Kit, whatever).

Your Pioneer AVR only has 9 Frequency Bands in it's automated Equalizer,...so it doesn't have the resolution to control Bass Frequency region below 200 Hz. My One-Third-Octave Equalizer has TEN band controls below 200 Hz and I'm going to guess your Pioneer only has maybe FOUR (my VSX-1015 only has TWO).
post #3 of 4 Old 02-02-2013, 07:22 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Awesome, thanks for that. Would the same be true for video processing? Meaning, if my receiver does very well at processing video signals then a better BDP wouldn't add value? FYI- my receiver is DLNA compliant.
post #4 of 4 Old 02-03-2013, 01:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 52
"Normally" Blu-Ray Players are simply streaming the data stream from the DVD or BD disk directly
to the HDTV via the HDMI I/F.....so HDTV is the ONLY device involved in forming the displayed image.
If connected via AVR's HDMI I/F, it's a simple switched pass-thru.....so nothing is changed.

When the source material on the disc is lower-rez than 1080p (e.g. 480i/p, 720p or 1080i), many
Blu-Ray Players (e.g. OPPO) and some AVR's allow you to configure the equipment to upconvert
to 1080p on HDMI I/F (SC-65 will, but NOT HDMI Input), rather than relying on upconverter in HDTV.

This may or may not be any different, depending on the relative quality of respective upconversion
algorithms.....and your visual and perceptual sensitivity to "seeing" the difference.....esp. evident
in scrolling text and moving objects... You'll have to connect SC-65 via Component Video I/F to
test whether you can see any difference.....and perhaps use HDMI I/F for "normal" viewiing????
Reply HDTV Technical

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page