Any way to adjust black level on RNG110 cable box? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 02-06-2013, 07:15 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 27
It's outputting 16-235. I have all my sources going to a splitter to two displays, so I need all the sources to have the same black level. I would prefer they all use full range, especially since custom resolutions on my PC seem to only output 0-255.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 02-09-2013, 04:57 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked: 149
I would say no, at least at the customer level. For that matter, it might be a hardware limitation. Who makes this "RNG110"? confused.gif

Abundant OTA television is what makes this country different from all others. Lets keep it this way. If you like Wi-Fi so much, OTA fits right in. After all, it is wireless.
post #3 of 5 Old 02-09-2013, 12:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 168 Post(s)
Liked: 227
16-235 is the standard range for broadcast video levels, 64 to 940 in 10 bits. 0-255 is a computer standard. In production systems video is sometimes full range but even at that it 4-1019. The first four and last bits are reserved for control words analogous to analog video sync pulses.

There are consumer video processors like the Lumagen and DVDO that can convert broadcast video to full range but it's just a numbers trick. You can't add back dynamic range that is not there to start with.

Glimmie's HT Page
Being redone - comming soon!

post #4 of 5 Old 02-10-2013, 10:42 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Oh well. Sucks because now I have to go through menus to change black level every time I switch from PC to cable source. Too bad tvs, unlike almost all projectors, don't ever seem to have picture memory presets you can activate with a discrete remote code.
post #5 of 5 Old 02-10-2013, 12:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 168 Post(s)
Liked: 227
Quote:
Originally Posted by curttard View Post

Oh well. Sucks because now I have to go through menus to change black level every time I switch from PC to cable source. Too bad tvs, unlike almost all projectors, don't ever seem to have picture memory presets you can activate with a discrete remote code.

Well a scaler can fix what you don't like. It can map the 16-235 into 0-255. It just wont add missing levels. It works by something like "every 10th byte is used twice". Now there may be some higher end scalers that do a dynamic remap and better SIMULATE the missing data but they can never accurately replace it. Make sure the device can do this on an input by input basis or I guess you could use a preset.

Look at Lumagen and DVDO. You can find used units on EBAY. Also if you want to pursue this ask in the "Video Processors" forum. Someone has probably gone down this road already.

Glimmie's HT Page
Being redone - comming soon!

Reply HDTV Technical

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page