Anyone Else Have Problems With HD Super Bowl Broadcast Last Sunday? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 02-07-2013, 02:47 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
During about the 2nd quarter the first half of the super bowl last Sunday, I suddenly started having “smears” or “ghosting” of the HD picture. It sort of had the same appearance as an out of adjustment convergence on an old CRT display. Players had pink outlines around them and other parts of the picture had other different colors around the edges. I've never before seen this phenomenon on my equipment either in HD or SD.

I tried adjusting “smooth motion” and other adjustments on my TV (Vizio VT420M with HDMI input from a cablecard equipped 3 tuner Moxi and Comcast) but nothing made any difference in the picture. I finally tried an SD input of the super bowl and the problem didn’t appear there. I also tried different HD programs on other channels and the problem didn’t appear there either. As soon as I returned to the super bowl HD broadcast, the problem still existed there however. It finally went away after about 10 minutes or so.

Since the problem didn’t appear on other HD programs, I finally decided that the problem must have been occurring either in the CBS host broadcast, the broadcast from our local CBS station (Washington, DC) or Comcast. If it were in the CBS broadcast, local station or Comcast, I would think that others would have noticed it as well however. Also, this may be a reach but it occurred about 45 minutes to an hour before the outage so I wonder if it might have been caused by power problems starting to develop at the stadium (ultimately leading up to the blackout later on) and which affected the CBS broadcast equipment. That’s probably not too likely however.

I just wanted to see if anyone else experienced this problem so that I can determine whether it was wide-spread or limited to my own equipment. If it was in my own equipment, any ideas on what might have been causing it? Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-07-2013, 09:19 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
No trace of that pic defect for me in the Chicago area over Comcast; recorded in HD and watched later.
Old 02-08-2013, 08:59 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked: 297
Trust me, if it had been widespread, there would be a 400-post thread on it here, by now. wink.gif

Walking the fine line between jaw-dropping and a plain ol' yawn.
Old 02-08-2013, 09:24 AM
Thread Ender

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 78
No problems here. I'm in the local viewing area and we watched the live broadcast OTA and didn't notice any issues with the broadcast.

Don't ever make the MISTAKE of buying a Samsung TV..
They consider THIS
normal on a two month old set..

It's a shame that in the end TCU's playoff chances all came down to this . . .
Old 02-08-2013, 09:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 272 Post(s)
Liked: 274
No problems here OTA.
Old 02-08-2013, 01:29 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked: 297
I'm guessing the issue hasn't happened since.
A check of the local DC threads show no mention of any Super Bowl issues.
If it happens, again, try to grab some screen caps and head to the Display area.

Walking the fine line between jaw-dropping and a plain ol' yawn.
Old 02-08-2013, 02:57 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDon View Post

I'm guessing the issue hasn't happened since.
A check of the local DC threads show no mention of any Super Bowl issues.
If it happens, again, try to grab some screen caps and head to the Display area.

Thanks for the responses. You're right, it hasn't occurred since the game but then I haven't been watching much HD since then either. Really weird. I'll get some screen pics if it happens again.