Link together Comcast Cable Box with HDTV using AVR - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 02-07-2013, 08:22 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'd like to confirm configuration of my TV/AVR system because currently I have a lip sync problem ever since replacing my old HDTV. I've read that the way you're supposed to connect a Cable box to an HDTV and AVR is 1) use an HDMI cable from cable box to TV and then 2) run an optical cable out from TV to AVR to get my surround sound. Would this solve my lip sync issue?

If in future I get a newer AVR that accepts HDMI inputs (my Denon 1706 is about 6 years old), couldn't I run the HDMI from cable box to AVR, then run an HDMI out of AVR to TV (not using any optical cable from TV to AVR)? Sound then should match what is being displayed I would think since the AVR is sending the sound and video at the same time. My new TV is 3D and although I didn't necessarily buy it for that, I may as well get what I need now. This way when I get a new 3D DVD player, I can connect it to AVR using HDMI still using the same HDMI out to TV.

I've been told that most AVR's now can pass 3D content through to TV. Whether from cable broadcast, DVD player etc.

Currenty I have a lip sync issue on certain TV channels. My guess is because (currently) my sound comes out of cable box to receiver using SPDIF, and an HDMI cable is going from cable box to TV. Currently no optical being used from TV to AVR so the sound plays slightly before video on some channels. Lip sync was always spot on with old HDTV but I guess these new ones are different.

Thanks for any help or confirmation.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 02-07-2013, 08:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 19
Quote:
1) use an HDMI cable from cable box to TV and then 2) run an optical cable out from TV to AVR to get my surround sound. Would this solve my lip sync issue?

Incorrect, you would only get stereo audio from this. The optical output of the tv will only output 5.1 from the internal tuner (OTA or QAM). To get full surround you need to run the optical directly from the cable box to the receiver.
Quote:
If in future I get a newer AVR that accepts HDMI inputs (my Denon 1706 is about 6 years old), couldn't I run the HDMI from cable box to AVR, then run an HDMI out of AVR to TV (not using any optical cable from TV to AVR)?

Exactly, all components run hdmi to the receiver, then one hdmi from the receiver to the tv. Leave the TV on the hdmi input and switch sources with the receiver.
Quote:
Currenty I have a lip sync issue on certain TV channels.

Hmm, does this only happen with say HD channels? Perhaps the tv is taking a few milliseconds to decode the 5.1 to stereo.

Also, make sure the lip sync settings are turned off on both the tv and the receiver.
post #3 of 6 Old 02-07-2013, 09:04 PM - Thread Starter

Lip sync issue is odd. Some HD channels are okay and other not. And the ones that are not are verying degrees of off. There is a lip sync option on TV but it seems to make it worse not better because the sound appears to be first. I don't know if there's a setting on my AVR for lip sync. It's an older 1706 Denon. I've replaced the cable box and still the same. It seems to be better if I connect from cable box to TV using component (G,R,B) video cables but of course I'm compromising there. Old HDTV was perfect using the same exact setup. Very strange. I even replaced the TV and still the same.

Regarding your comment about running an optical from TV to AVR (ie: Incorrect, you would only get stereo audio from this. The optical output of the tv will only output 5.1 from the internal tuner (OTA or QAM). To get full surround you need to run the optical directly from the cable box to the receiver.) .... what do you mean by "internal tuner"? My goal for that optical cable is only to transfer 5.1 sound to AVR from TV, not for sound of my other devices, such as DVD etc. Currenly 5.1 is all I'm dealing with in this room.
post #4 of 6 Old 02-07-2013, 09:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jims340AAR View Post

Lip sync issue is odd. Some HD channels are okay and other not. And the ones that are not are verying degrees of off. There is a lip sync option on TV but it seems to make it worse not better because the sound appears to be first. I don't know if there's a setting on my AVR for lip sync. It's an older 1706 Denon. I've replaced the cable box and still the same. It seems to be better if I connect from cable box to TV using component (G,R,B) video cables but of course I'm compromising there. Old HDTV was perfect using the same exact setup. Very strange. I even replaced the TV and still the same.

Regarding your comment about running an optical from TV to AVR (ie: Incorrect, you would only get stereo audio from this. The optical output of the tv will only output 5.1 from the internal tuner (OTA or QAM). To get full surround you need to run the optical directly from the cable box to the receiver.) .... what do you mean by "internal tuner"? My goal for that optical cable is only to transfer 5.1 sound to AVR from TV, not for sound of my other devices, such as DVD etc. Currenly 5.1 is all I'm dealing with in this room.
The tv won't take 5.1 from the cable box and passit out as 5.1 over the optical cable. It will only send 5.1 over the optical output if the tv is using its tuner.Internal meaning the tv is using its antenna or cable (coax) input to tune a channel .

Phil Tomaskovic
post #5 of 6 Old 02-08-2013, 03:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jims340AAR View Post

Your tv only has 2 speakers, it does not have 5.1, only your receiver does. So it is pointless to transfer 5.1 from AVR to TV since the best you will do is get stereo from your tv speakers.

With regards to a tv's optical output, there are a few tv's out there that will pass 5.1 out for all inputs, not just the internal OTA tuner ( tuner used if you have an antenna). I was lucky in having 2 of them, a Zenith (LG) and a Vizio I just purchased. However if you have a Blu-Ray player, it will not output DTS-HD or DolbyTru-HD out through the Tv's optical out since you can only get those sound formats out of an HDMI cable. So the BD player needs to get hooked up HDMI to a compatible receiver that will decode those sounds formats.

By the way, what kind of tv you have?
post #6 of 6 Old 02-08-2013, 09:59 PM - Thread Starter

I think I understand the TV to AVR issue not providing 5.1 to my AVR, so thanks very much for that. My TV is a Samsung 7500 (UN46ES7500). I've decided to upgrade my Denon to a 1913 model which (should) not only fix my asked issue but also provide all HDMI cable connections. Therefore, I'm planning to connect everything to the AVR (cable box, 3D-DVD, my Media Center computer and Apple TV) and then pass those signals to TV using a single HTMI out. My guess is I should get everything lip synced and of the best quality.
Reply HDTV Technical

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page