Indoor Antenna help in Suwanee, GA (Atlanta area) - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 02-13-2013, 04:57 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
It's been a while since I've posted here, but I need the community's advice on something. I've recently located to Suwanee, in the Atlanta area, and I want to install an indoor antenna for OTA broadcasts.

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=29&q=id%3d1ddaf78343e201

I bought a $35 GE amplified antenna from Wal-Mart, but it doesn't pull in my 2 VHF stations, and the other signals at the lower end of the spectrum are spotty.

What would the group recommend? I'm specifically looking at the Winegard Freevision, but I'm certainly open to suggestions.

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 02-13-2013, 07:14 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I'd try the Leaf Plus. I have the Freevision and the Leaf, but have never tried the amplified version. It probably won't work for your NBC affiliate. Your best chance for that channel is old school rabbit ears at a length of 29" tip to tip. Good Luck.
post #3 of 6 Old 02-14-2013, 05:57 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by deltaguy View Post

I'd try the Leaf Plus. I have the Freevision and the Leaf, but have never tried the amplified version. It probably won't work for your NBC affiliate. Your best chance for that channel is old school rabbit ears at a length of 29" tip to tip. Good Luck.
The Freevision is supposedly a UHF/VHF antenna. I have one on the way, scheduled for delivery tomorrow, so I'll report back once I get it mounted.
post #4 of 6 Old 02-18-2013, 04:07 PM - Thread Starter

Mounted this in the attic on Saturday, since I couldn't get a whole lot at the ground level. It seems to be working great, even pulling in my VHF stations perfectly. The only problem I'm having is with RF 39 (2-1), which drops in and out enough that it's annoying to watch. I'm going to get up in the attic and try a couple of other positions. If that doesn't work, I might be making a trip to my old house to get the old custom-built 8-bay off the roof. biggrin.gif
post #5 of 6 Old 02-18-2013, 06:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by jstarling82 View Post

Mounted this in the attic on Saturday, since I couldn't get a whole lot at the ground level. It seems to be working great, even pulling in my VHF stations perfectly. The only problem I'm having is with RF 39 (2-1), which drops in and out enough that it's annoying to watch. I'm going to get up in the attic and try a couple of other positions. If that doesn't work, I might be making a trip to my old house to get the old custom-built 8-bay off the roof. biggrin.gif
Maybe add a low gain preamp such as Winegard 269 and see if that will prevent the dropouts.
post #6 of 6 Old 02-18-2013, 06:20 PM - Thread Starter

I do have one of those handy.

Actually just got back down from the attic. The wife couldn't watch The Bachelor, which, of course, drove me into the rafters. tongue.gif

Four Feet to the left and eighteen inches closer to the towers, and our signals on most networks went to almost 100%. We lost some of the local transmissions, but I hadn't found anything on those I wanted to watch, anyway. I may tweak it again, as our closest PBS dropped to around 80%, but as long as it's coming in consistently, I'm happy.

I'm also glad I don't have to risk my neck trying to get that other antenna off the old roof in south Ga. biggrin.gif
Reply HDTV Technical

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page