4k Ultra HD test channel launched in Europe - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 1 Old 02-15-2013, 05:18 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Not sure if this has been mentioned elsewhere but Eutelsat have started broadcasting a 4k test service on Eutelsat 10A at 10E
http://en.kingofsat.net/tp.php?tp=7041

At the moment they are using 4 x 1920x1080/50p H264 (Level 4.2 to get the block rate high enough I guess) streams (Top Left, Top Right, Bottom Left, Bottom Right)

I suspect there aren't a lot of 3840x2160 encoders and decoders (or H265 kit) out in the wild yet. (I think the 8K tests use a similar technique for both broadcast and production - they were using a LOT of slaved P2 recorders for slow-mo replays of 8K at London 2012 I believe...)

Interesting that it's 3840x2160/50p not 60p. Suspect any service launching in Europe will have to simulcast in HD and possibly even SD - so keeping the same frame rate may still be important...

Hope to try and record some of this over the weekend and see what I can do with it. I don't have a 4k display - but I do have access to >1080p resolution stuff. Think importing into After Effects (possibly converting from H264 to ProRes in FFMPEG/FFMBC?) might be a way of tiling the 4 streams into a single 4k stream?
Reply HDTV Technical

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page