FIOS Newbie questions - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 02-20-2013, 03:51 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm currently a verizon phone & dsl subscriber and their recent incentives to switch to fios ($79.99/mo. triple play with $300 visa card for a 2 year contract), seems very compelling. The customer service reps. I've talked to however can't (or won't) answer some questions I have about their FIOS service and fees.

My questions are:

1. How much are the additional fees & taxes per month for their base tier triple play service? (I'm in New Jersey so I assume $2.42 RSN + 7% sales tax at least).
2. Do I need to rent their DVR equipment or can I supply my own QIP-7232-2 without incurring any additional charges above the base service? (just a 1 room installation req'd., ie. no MRDVR add-on)
3. If I supply my own dvr will I be able to receive all the base tier HD programs in HD?
4. Does the wireless router have a monthly equipment fee and, if so, can I supply my own?
5. Is there an additional monthly service charge for their IP services like VOD, program guide, etc. and, if so, can I decline these services?

TIA for any answers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 02-21-2013, 01:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 47
You can't supply a QIP box, since that's a cable-company owned box. You can use TiVo or MCE with CableCard though.

Don't know about most of the fees, but I don't know of any cable company that charges a fee for On-Demand.

Bottom line: you want FIOS. It's amazing. I wish I could get it.
post #3 of 8 Old 02-22-2013, 04:51 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by BiggAW View Post

I don't know of any cable company that charges a fee for On-Demand.
Hm-m-m.... I don't know of any provider that doesn't charge a fee for most all of On-Demand selections. Although, most all have a minimum of "free" selections (which are worthless IMO).

As for the rest:
Yes, surcharges and taxes are added.
You must use a DVR provided by them.
You can try your own DVR (that has a QAM tuner) and only receive locals in HD and a few community access channels.
Router/modem: Depends in the package offerings at the time in your area. I got my Verizon wireless for free (no monthly fee).
With their equipment, VOD is a "pay-as-go". Don't order, no fee. Program quides are free.
post #4 of 8 Old 02-22-2013, 12:01 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
fredd:

You ask a good question, because I am thinking about getting FIOS when I move in about 6 weeks. (Currently OTA only in South Jersey). I had Comcast a few years ago and I had 2 HD boxes. I paid a ton of taxes plus rental on the boxes plus something called an "HDTV Technology fee".

I'm sure the total monthly bill will be a lot more than 79.99. I'll be watching for any responses. I plan to hook up 1 TV in HD, plus phone and internet.
post #5 of 8 Old 02-22-2013, 02:07 PM
AVS Addicted Member

FWIW...
I've had FiOS Triple bundle for over two years. $89.99 per month. HD Prime subscription. Two HD boxes @ $12 each (no DVR). I don't pay a monthly fee for the Verizon router.

So, here's my breakdown:
89.99 for Triple Play
23.98 for two HD boxes
2.07 NJ Sales Tax
.90 for 911 System Response Fee

Verizon Surcharges:
Video Franchise Fee = 2.88
CATV Universal Access fund = .41
Federal Universal fee = .52
Regulatory Recovery fee = .08

Total - $120 and change

@ $79.99 per month (for two years), you will pay $10.00 less than me and you get a $300 gift card (which works out to $12.50 over 24 months). So, for you, that works out to around $97.50 per month.
post #6 of 8 Old 02-25-2013, 08:28 AM
AVS Addicted Member

You're welcome (I guess). rolleyes.gif
post #7 of 8 Old 02-28-2013, 04:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratman View Post

Hm-m-m.... I don't know of any provider that doesn't charge a fee for most all of On-Demand selections. Although, most all have a minimum of "free" selections (which are worthless IMO).

As for the rest:
Yes, surcharges and taxes are added.
You must use a DVR provided by them.
You can try your own DVR (that has a QAM tuner) and only receive locals in HD and a few community access channels.
Router/modem: Depends in the package offerings at the time in your area. I got my Verizon wireless for free (no monthly fee).
With their equipment, VOD is a "pay-as-go". Don't order, no fee. Program quides are free.

Comcast has the most VOD of pretty much any carrier, but there's a LOT of free TV shows on there.
post #8 of 8 Old 03-03-2013, 10:15 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Thanks, Ratman. I appreciate the feedback. Sorry, I've been away from the forum for the past week.
Reply HDTV Technical

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page