Why can't I connect my DVD player to my headphones using digital optical cable? - AVS Forum
HDTV Technical > Why can't I connect my DVD player to my headphones using digital optical cable?
aberthelot's Avatar aberthelot 05:25 PM 02-20-2013
I am not able to hear my movies using my headphones. I tried connecting the cable to the tv and the dvd player. Can someone help me with this?
Thanks.

lovinthehd's Avatar lovinthehd 08:34 PM 02-20-2013
You need to provide more details. Your title states optical cable which, unless your headphones have some sort of dac/preamp/amp setup built in, isn't likely going to work out. Please specify the make and model of each of your pieces of equipment so that someone has a chance of at least checking what options you have. You likely need a headphone preamp/amp. Try reading through this thread first http://www.avsforum.com/t/1350879/connecting-headphones-to-a-tv-with-digital-audio-out
sitlet's Avatar sitlet 11:40 AM 02-21-2013
I agree with the above post. If your headphones do have an optical input, and you aren't hearing any sound, perhaps the dvd player is not set to output to the optical port, or is outputting the wrong format.
lovinthehd's Avatar lovinthehd 02:06 PM 02-21-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by sitlet View Post

I agree with the above post. If your headphones do have an optical input, and you aren't hearing any sound, perhaps the dvd player is not set to output to the optical port, or is outputting the wrong format.

The only purpose of an optical port on a dvd player would be to output audio (unless it's a recorder also and even then that might not be a two-way street), can't think of any tv's that accept an optical input but it's possible I suppose, would expect it normally to be an audio output also. The signal via optical is not sufficient to drive speakers, it isn't even in the right format as it first needs to be transformed to an analog signal then amplified sufficiently (even the very small speakers in a pair of headphones needs amplification over an analog line level signal.....and a volume control even if they could handle a line level input smile.gif ). Without knowing what headphones not possible to tell much of anything.
Up
Mobile  Desktop