Every television displaying pale color space with over saturation. PC Monitor also stuck in 16 bit color. Help! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 17 Old 02-27-2013, 05:23 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi guys. For over a week now I have been having this issue and the anxiety of it all is driving me up the wall. I believe the PC issue happened first. I don't have much money to blow so I been trying to narrow down the problem before I call some repair guy.

PC issue: Pc Monitor stuck displaying 16 bit color + images and videos do not appear sharp at all. Horrible image quality for photos and videos while text looks fine. This occured sometime after my pc fan was running really loudly as a result of a new Nvidia Driver on Feb 18th 2013. Possibly my motherboard or such got overheated? I hooked up another monitor for testing but problem remained. Therefor the issue cannot be merely my monitor. Under device manager instead of displaying full name it simply shows ''generic pnp monitor''. In desktop under 'screen resolution' and 'advanced settings' it shows generic pnp monitor + '32 bit color' yet the display is clearly only 16 bit. Thus this must be a hardware issue or a software issue. Possibly corrupted video driver? Images and videos also appear rough. It's worse than just a 16-bit color issue.

TV Issue: Additionally every single television in my house has a very similar color problem. Extremely pale colors but with abundant over saturation especially on reds which can sometimes be extremely bright and appear to bleed. How this happened I have no clue but all 3 televisions without exception have this issue. Changing color, brightness and other settings does nothing to solve the problem. When I check the menu on the LG remote control at the bottom of the picture settings it states RGB-PC for some reason. An LG correspondent informed me that this means my LG television is displaying in RGB-PC despite it being hooked up only via HDMI. The faded colors and over saturation is an issue present in all 3 televisions in my home. It appears the 'color space' might be effected. Rogers Cable guy came but said the cable boxes were fine, he mentioned that the signal feed was high but the turned it down a bit though that did not resolve the issue. He said the problem could not be on their end but who knows.

I am at a loss of what to do right now. How is it that my PC is effected but also every single one of my televisions? Every single tv cannot simply have broken components all of a sudden and all at the same time. The faces of any person often comes up pale orange and if there is a light source the over saturation is extreme. If there are certain reds on the screen they appear extremely overblown. I am concerned that my television along with my family's tvs will have image burn in or other issues eventually aside from this current mess.

The Rogers tech guy who came by free of charge tried to downplay the issue and tried to pretend it didn't exist. Eventually he tested the cables. Said the signal feed was strong and that he turned it down a bit. He was not able to do anything to help the problem though. I even called in to get them to reset the digital feed.

Our Televisions are:
LG 42LK520
Samsung UN39EH5003
Sony Wega Triniton 32 inch something

My PC is Windows 7 64 bit
Nvidia Geforce 550ti
8 gigs of ram
AMD phenom II quad core @ 2.6ghz

When I called an LG guy and told him about the issue he said that my TV is reading HDMI as an RGB port. Every device I have hooked up to this tv has the same issue. Turn on Xbox 360 or PS3 (all using different HDMI ports) and they all look terrible pale, washed out, and incorrect color space.

In fact the very moment I turn on my television the LG logo looks pale red instead of the nice normal red it used to be.

Every television is effected.

I been trying to wrap my head around this. Can anyone please offer me any advice or input?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 02-27-2013, 09:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 796 Post(s)
Liked: 426
Wow, that is the strangest thing I've ever read on AVS.

The PC issue could be your video card dying. Have you tried a different cable to the monitor?

The TV issue - have you had your eyes checked lately? Just kidding...sorta.

Do you have children or a SO that may have messed up your TV's setting just to screw with you? (Hey, it happens!)

AVR: DENON 2113ci
FL/R: Klipschorn
CC: Klipsch RC64ii
SUR: Polk LS F/X x 4
SUB: PSA XS15 x 4 (Soon to be replaced with dual T-18s!)
DISP: Mitsubishi WD-73740
post #3 of 17 Old 02-27-2013, 10:13 AM

Alex...Do all the TV's get their signal from the computer?
If so, I'd roll back the driver on your video card, if that didn't
help I'd change the video output to the mobo onboard video
output, if it's got one. If there's a video switching device or
feed through I'd remove that & see what happens.
If all the TV's aren't connected to the computer, I'd check your
voltage at the wall.

Good luck, DDK
post #4 of 17 Old 02-27-2013, 10:24 AM - Thread Starter

I've tried a different VGA cable. I even changed my power bar. Also I have uninstalled Nvidia drivers via safe mode to the best of my ability. Including through device manager, deleting files from C drive, driver sweeper, malwarebytes (nothing came up here). I also installed an older graphics card. The problem remains. The windows logo during boot up always look extra bright, over saturated.

Perhaps this is an issue with my motherboard?

The television issue is real. At first I felt I was going to come down with a panic attack because it's as if I was losing my mind or something. How on earth could my televisions also be effected? But unfortunately it's true and somehow every tv here in our home has the same problem as described in original post. The colors are pale, bland, except certain tones such as reds are vastly over saturated. The color space is messed up.

I previously tried connecting this monitor to my xbox 360 a day after this issue started to test the monitor and the image looked quite bad. Pretty pale and washed out. I don't know if that somehow caused my tv to have color space issues, or EDID issues, but it does not explain how the other 2 televisions have the same problem. They are all connected to Rogers cable though.

Right now as I have my LG tv on some talk show is on and some girl is wearing a pink sweater. It's extremely bright as if it's bleeding through the screen. The faces also look unnatural due to the orange tones.

And no one has been causing mischief.

Some info I found online:
Movies use studio color (16 - 235)
PCs use RGB color (0 - 255)

The tvs all appear to be displaying RGB despite hdmi, hdmi, and standard connections.
post #5 of 17 Old 02-27-2013, 10:25 AM - Thread Starter

How do I check if there is proper voltage? Is there a specific method?
post #6 of 17 Old 02-27-2013, 10:37 AM - Thread Starter

I had a longer message but it was held since I'm a new member. Don't know why it hasn't been posted.

For my pc i've tried a dif VGA cable, I tried a different power bar. I also have installed a dif older graphics card and issue remains. Even when the pc is loading up the Windows logo itself looks terribly over saturared and limited in color under every circumstance which I have loaded my computer. Nvidia, Nvidia with drivers unintalled, safe mode, old AMD card, normal mode.

My tv behind me right now looks awful. Some talk show and the woman's pink sweater has it's colors so bright it's as if it's bleeding off the screen. The faces are over saturated and too orange. Nothing looks natural. No matter the channel. The tv is stuck seemingly in RGB mode despite displaying from an HDMI cable.

On a dif forum someone suggested voltage. Could this be possible? If so how would I fix it?

Ugh, I'm just so frustrated.
post #7 of 17 Old 02-27-2013, 10:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Would it be possible for you to take one of your TVs to a different location to see if it looks the same? It has to be something to do with the electrical in your house - the only way I can explain multiple TVs and a monitor displaying the exact same symptoms. Any other electrical devices doing anything weird?

post #8 of 17 Old 02-27-2013, 10:56 AM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Quote:
I've tried a different VGA cable.

You said you were using HDMI. Are you sending VGA into a component input?
Quote:
On a dif forum someone suggested voltage. Could this be possible? If so how would I fix it?

This most likely isn't the problem, but if you must check it, use a multimeter. If you have no idea how to, don't do it.
post #9 of 17 Old 02-27-2013, 10:58 AM

You'd check the voltage at the wall outlet with a multimeter,available at Radio Shack or
hardware stores for $10 and up.Your voltage at the wall should be close to 120VAC if
you're in the U.S.
I have no experience or knowledge of setting the colors ect. in the video cards control
panel.

Your longer post didn't appear because you probably forgot to refresh your page.

Good luck, DDK
post #10 of 17 Old 02-27-2013, 12:05 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAM64 View Post

You said you were using HDMI. Are you sending VGA into a component input?
This most likely isn't the problem, but if you must check it, use a multimeter. If you have no idea how to, don't do it.

no. VGA is though a DVI type of thing from my pc to monitor when using Nvidia card. Now I'm using an AMD card and it's just VGA to VGA.

It really must be something electrical in the house. Since all displays that are connected via a power cable have been effected. My phone has beautiful color. Obviously it's not connected to any wires.I have not charged it in a long time.

It's all the tvs and the pc monitor. And when I hooked up a 2nd monitor it showed same issue.

Electrician is coming in tomorrow to check the box.

Is there anything I should ask him? I don't know much about these things.
post #11 of 17 Old 02-27-2013, 12:12 PM
AVS Special Member

EMP? wink.gif

post #12 of 17 Old 02-27-2013, 12:14 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDK65JAG View Post

You'd check the voltage at the wall outlet with a multimeter,available at Radio Shack or
hardware stores for $10 and up.Your voltage at the wall should be close to 120VAC if
you're in the U.S.
I have no experience or knowledge of setting the colors ect. in the video cards control
panel.

Your longer post didn't appear because you probably forgot to refresh your page.

Good luck, DDK

$10 voltage meter. sounds like a bargain. i don't think i can get one today but this is a very novel idea.
post #13 of 17 Old 02-27-2013, 02:36 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Quote:
An LG correspondent informed me that this means my LG television is displaying in RGB-PC despite it being hooked up only via HDMI. ]
Quote:
LG guy and told him about the issue he said that my TV is reading HDMI as an RGB port
Quote:
VGA is though a DVI type of thing from my pc to monitor when using Nvidia card. Now I'm using an AMD card and it's just VGA to VGA.

Did you ever use HDMI?
post #14 of 17 Old 02-28-2013, 10:27 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Did you ever use HDMI?

hdmi on the pc monitor? nope. I am unable to since my particular model of GTX 550ti does not support it aside from mini-hdmi. Two different VGA cables been used.

Electrician is coming in today. Possibly high voltage or who knows what.

Additionally the image of the televisions is no longer as sharp/crisp as it used to be regardless of sharpness settings and other factors. The image quality used to be life like and beautiful but now it's like a mediocre bitrate youtube feed. It just doesn't look right.

I'm really not good at these kind of things. Any suggestions on what I should ask the electrician?

If I have to end up repairing my monitor, pc, tv, and who knows what else I hope I don't lose my mind.
post #15 of 17 Old 02-28-2013, 10:28 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Did you ever use HDMI?

And the tv itself has only ever used HDMI connections.
post #16 of 17 Old 02-28-2013, 02:04 PM - Thread Starter

The electrician came by and turns out my voltage is fine. His theory is the same as mine basically that there must have been a power surge or something and therefor the damage is done.

Looks like I have to spend a tremendous amount on repairs.

Any tips for filing for bankrupcy?
post #17 of 17 Old 02-28-2013, 02:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Man, that is unbelievable!

I still say you should try taking one of the affected displays to another location to see if it clears up.

Reply HDTV Technical

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page