Problem with screen flicker/artifacts when watching a bluray movie in 1080/24p. Video attached - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 03-09-2013, 11:17 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm hoping someone here can help me. This seemed to be the most appropriate forum to post in, but if I should move it please let me know.

Background:

I bought a Panasonic TC-P55ST50 back in November 2012. I had a LG blu-ray player (non-3d) hooked up to it and everything was fine. For Christmas I was given a Samsung 3d blu-ray player. I hooked it up and started watching Looper. I experienced some weird artifact/flickering on the screen. I tried a different movie (2d) Tangled, and got the same issues. I figured it had to be the bluray player, so it was taken back and exchanged for a Sony BDP-BX59. I got everything hooked up and am having the same problem. I managed to get a short video of it happening. Here is the video.

I started doing some reading and messing with different settings. I found that if I set the bluray player to 1080/60p I don't have the problem. I get this problem anywhere from 2-5 times per minute. It also cuts out the audio when it occurs. I tried watching Tangled (3D disc) and did not have the problem in the first 10 minutes. 3D ran in 1080/24p, so I don't know why it worked for that.

I spent an hour on the phone with Panasonic, but they could not fix it. I tried google, but couldn't find any similar instances. The bluray player connects directly to the TV. I tried swapping the HDMI cables, and also picked different inputs on the TV.

I'm at a loss. I know everyone here is way more knowledgeable than I am when it comes to this stuff, so I'm hoping for some advice.

I guess I could just leave the bluray output to 1080/60p, but everything should work at 1080/24p. It's supposed to be better, and I feel that I paid for the equipment, so it should work.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 03-09-2013, 01:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
I have the exact same TV and the exact same flicker when playing back 24p content at 48 Hz. Unfortunately, the best solution (for me) was to switch back to 1080p60. A little bit of judder on the credits was far preferable to annoying flickering on bright scenes. (The white scene with Luxo at the start of a Pixar Blu-ray is especially egregious.)

Free over the air HDTV + Tivo HD + Netflix for Blu-ray and streaming = Bliss
post #3 of 6 Old 03-10-2013, 07:48 AM - Thread Starter

Just to clarify. In the video, it's not the constant flickering I'm talking about. I think that is just from my phone recording the screen. I'm talking about the greenish disruption at about the 1.5 second mark.
post #4 of 6 Old 03-10-2013, 09:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 217
Does it happen often or just at the one (same) spot each time?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(Just as big an idea thief as)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 6 Old 03-10-2013, 12:41 PM - Thread Starter

Random spots. Tried different discs and still had problems. Thought it might have been a dirty disc issue at first, but I don't think so anymore.
post #6 of 6 Old 03-11-2013, 04:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Sorry to mention this but 24p playback on HDTVs with less than 72Hz refresh is often described with flicker. Most people do not consider 48Hz refresh a usable speed. You will have better luck with 72Hz or 96Hz on a plasma, or 120Hz or faster on a LCD or LED set.

You can totally darken the room as a technique to reduce flicker, which is often caused by the HDTV interacting with ambient room lighting from flourescent or compact flourescent light bulbs. Try this temporarily at night and see if it reduces flicker to a bearable level.

Gary McCoy
The United States Constitution ©1791. All Rights Reserved.

Reply HDTV Technical

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page