HDTV Antenna Set-up - first timer. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 03-09-2013, 11:44 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have placed HDTV Antenna outside of house. Even though an Omni-directional I still have it pointing towards the sources (towers). Signal goes through built-in pre-amp and then I have it split to all TV's throughout the house from one splitter.

TVs that are closest have zero issues. TV's that have more cabling between splitter and actual TV have artifacting.

Should I get a powered splitter (does that even exist)? or uniquely boost the specific lines/signals that are degrading? If so, boost immediately coming out of the splitter?

I thing I am going to do first is actually shorten the cabling from the Antenna that goes into the Pre-Amp which then goes in to the splitter. I have about an extra 15 feet I don't need. That may solve the problem.

Any direction, guidance or thoughts are greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Cheers,

-J
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 03-09-2013, 01:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Which antenna are you using? Most antennas intended for outdoor use don't have pre-amps built-in; people add a pre-amp if one is necessary. If you're using an antenna that was originally intended for indoor use, my impression of the built-in amps in those units (from what I've read; I've never used one myself) is that they're generally pretty crappy compared to an external pre-amp.

In any event, the pre-amp obviously isn't doing as well as it needs to. Hopefully shortening the cable will help.

Another thing that would help would be to go to TVFool.com, get a table of the signals at your location, post a link here, and tell us which of those stations you actually want to receive. (The list always includes more stations than it's possible to receive even with a top-of-the-line antenna setup.) Then we can see what you're up against.
post #3 of 9 Old 03-09-2013, 01:59 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 270
Please read the instructions at the top of the section and follow those directions. Can't help much without knowing where you are and what your tvfool report says. Which is why we put a sticky thread about that. wink.gif

Walking the fine line between jaw-dropping and a plain ol' yawn.
post #4 of 9 Old 03-10-2013, 05:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 21
The Omni directional antennas do not work as well as conventional antennas in my opinion.

That being said, post your tvfool results so we can get a better idea of reception where you are. Usually when dealing with amps and splitters, I like to first run 1 short cable directly from the antenna to a tv ( no amp, no splitters) and see what channels I get. This would be my reference. If I am having trouble receiving channels, I adjust the antenna, and if that does not work, then I add an amp.

Once I have established which channels I am receciving, then I start to add splitters. And if I notice that I am losing channels, then I add an amp ( if I had not done so already above).
post #5 of 9 Old 03-10-2013, 06:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked: 92
The new Mohu Sky may be a good omnidirectional antenna for consideration, as their previous indoor products have gotten good reviews. And comes with low noise clean filter amp.
post #6 of 9 Old 10-01-2013, 10:42 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 40
forgive me for resurrecting an older thread.

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=29&q=id%3d46aea4b122daa0

TVFool seems to be under the impression that I can pick up signals in St John from Chicago with just an indoor antenna ("rabbit ears"). Having had some really miserable experience with that in nearby Schererville, I'm going to go ahead and call bull on that.

I am building a house in St John where I will sadly not have cable service for the foreseeable future. I would like to NOT put an ugly antenna on the roof of my new house (and the HOA may not even allow it for all I know) but I wouldn't mind mounting it in the attic if that's even worthwhile to do.

From my house all of the Chicago signals will be coming from the NNW more or less in a straight line so I would think a directional antenna would work best.

Your thoughts and professional opinions? smile.gif

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 9 Old 10-01-2013, 11:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Your HOA can go pound sand. Under federal law, there's little they can do. Research the FCC OTARD rule.

Verify your location is exact by using its precise GPS coordinates. Rerun the analysis, if necessary.
Do a site survey to see if you have a good, clear line of sight towards Chicago. Be on the lookout for common obstructions such as trees of your neighbor's house that's bigger than yours or is in the way.

If those all check out okay, then a simple 7-51 antenna like the AntennaCraft HU22, Winegard 7694, Antennas Direct C2V, or an RCA ANT-751R should all work fine, probably even in the attic (depending on construction materials).
post #8 of 9 Old 10-02-2013, 06:31 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 40
oh make no mistake - regardless of where the antenna goes there will be trees in the way. And lots of them.

you can see what we're dealing with here - at some point those trees on the other side of the cul de sac may come down but that's probably at least a year away. Even so there are trees behind those that will never come down.

the red box is my house

my survey says that my elevation is 715' - not sure what the elevation of the TV towers is or if that even matters.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 9 Old 10-02-2013, 08:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 69
You can go ahead and install the antenna, but there's probably a 95% probability that you will suffer reception issues on some channels when the trees are leafed out, wet, or the wind is blowing.
Reply HDTV Technical

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page