Underscan problem linking Acer laptop to Samsung LCD TV via HDMI cable - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 03-11-2013, 04:39 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi all,

First off, apologies if this post appears tedious or padestrian to most of you, I'm really learning as I'm going here. Also apologies if this is posted in the wrong area - I'm not sure if my issue is laptop or TV related to be honest.

Normally if I have a problem I try and search for other with similar issues before posting, but seeing as this could be very specific to the hardware being used, I think it's perhaps best to throw it out there.

I am beginning to discover the joys (and frustrations) of trying to watch content from my laptop on my 40 inch Samsung TV, but the problem (which is really starting to bug me now) is the fact that the TV screen only wants to display at about 60% - what I now know to be "underscan"... I think.

Anyway, I can say that my laptop (Acer Aspire Acer Aspire 5742 15.6 inch, 64 Bit, Intel Core i3-370M processor 2.4GHz, 3GB RAM, 320GB HDD, Windows 7) appears to be running on "standard" Intel graphics with a display at 1366x768. When I go to the Intel Graphis & Media Control Panel, and click on Monitor / TV settings, it says they are "not supported".

Anyway the cabel is a HDMI to HDMI cable.

The TV is a Samsung 40 inch LCD "fully HD", model with 1080p resolution (http://www.samsung.com/ie/support/model/LE40B530P7WXXU-downloads?downloadName=UM) and the laptop content is viewable through one of the three HDMI ports on it.

I have never tried, nor do I have, a VGA connection. I would have thought HDMI would be "better" in that it is more recent technology, but obviously I am open to education on that one.

To get to the point, the content is only coming up on the screen at about 60%, so there is 'black' on all four sides taking up a lot of the screen. Naturally, what I am after therfore is achieving 1:1 pixel mapping (more jargon I've only recently picked up). The options on the TV do not allow for "overscan/underscan" and I have tried fixing it from the laptop but to no avail. I see that ths is a common issue, but all other stories I have come across either don't exactly fit my details as above, or end up going into massively complicated display discourse, that I end up getting a bit baffled.

Since I fear I'm at the edge of my technological abilities, I would much appreciate a steer from someone.

Many thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 03-19-2013, 09:45 AM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
No one wants to pick this one up?? I bet there's someone out there with a bit of heart for a clueless electronic operative... rolleyes.gif
post #3 of 4 Old 03-20-2013, 03:14 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 244
Might try the LCD forum.

Walking the fine line between jaw-dropping and a plain ol' yawn.
post #4 of 4 Old 03-20-2013, 05:50 AM

Liked: 12
I've gone through the exercise of connecting several laptops to my LCD (both HDMI & VGA), and have been limited by the resolution options built into my video card, plus those the LCD will accept. You just run through the values the card offers until you find the closest thing to full-screen (and best resolution) the TV will display, viewing the Home screen of the laptop.

The display of media content is another matter; whether it has top bars or side bars (or both) depends on the resolution of the source material, and all you can do is adjust the pic size, but that degrades the resolution. Unless you have overscan/underscan controls on your TV, laptop, or software, there's no adjustment, but it's a much smaller effect than you are describing.
Reply HDTV Technical

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page