dish network broadcasting - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 03-11-2013, 10:35 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
To make a long story short I switched to dish about 8 months ago, I'm saving $50 a month which is a plus and we have Da Hoppa.

My problem is this, while watching certain shows on Tv in HD, the shows look dull, not all but some of them, then a commercial comes on and it looks great. I can't figure out exactly what it is other than the way DISH broadcast shows? blu rays look great, live HD sporting events looks great, some of the HD shows look good while others like The Mentalist and NCIS just look dreary...is it dish? anyone else have this problem? I have tweaked my display everyway possible, it's not the display. My hopper is connected to an Onkyo 705 then directly to the display. I never had this issue with Direc tv.

I remember direc tv had an option that would switch resolutions from 720 to 1080 depending on the broadcast res, with dish you dont have that option, its one or the other. Some helpful advice would be great.

xbox live GT: xXmaximus prime
PSN: maximus_rr
I have to go, I have a meeting with the bobs, uhhh I wasnt aware of any meeting......yeah they called me at home
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 03-12-2013, 05:11 PM

To change the resolution on the Hopper you will select menu, settings, format TV and then HDTV. We hope that this helps.

Mark Haakenson
Social Media Representative
DISH LLC
mark.haakenson@dish.com
3 pm – 11 pm Sunday through Thursday

Mark Haakenson
DISH Network Customer Service
post #3 of 6 Old 03-13-2013, 12:50 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

since you apparently work for dish, can you offer a reason as to why my HD shows look the way they do? I know how to change the resolution on the hopper, but what if I have it set at 1080p and your broadcasting a show in 720? Like I said in my post, some things look great and others look horrible. If I cannot get this resolved I'm going back to Direc Tv

I have to go, I have a meeting with the bobs, uhhh I wasnt aware of any meeting......yeah they called me at home
post #4 of 6 Old 03-13-2013, 03:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: Sacramento delta N. Cal. US Don't trust any air I can't see ☺
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1009 Post(s)
Liked: 499
The final PQ depends on the source broadcast regardless of the provider.

Some channels are 720p some are 1080i some are 480i/p (basically standard def digital broadcast )
Fox , ABC and ESPN broadcast in 720p. CBS, ABC, HBO ,Discovery ,Nat Geo,History and most other premium channels broadcast in 1080i/p

Smaller networks and local stations and affiliates can vary from 480i/p all the way up to 1080i They can also vary by time of day.
PPV movies are usually 1080i/p there are times when a show is std def and commercials are HD .Format can also depend on the shows origional or archived format even though the channel is an HD channel. especially with older program episodes .
Some older Movies can usually do well if re-scanned into HD by the broadcaster as film can often exceed HD resolutions .

Maybe you can try HDMI from STB direct to TV. I would by try to by pass the receiver and use coax or toslink audio from tv to receiver .Personally I would not run video through a receiver too many things in the signal path can muddy the waters if you will a some receivers have crappy video scalers. The less #of scalers in signal path is always better IMO just let your STB or TV do the video scaling try that out .

. I belive Dish re broadcasts the HD signal as received ? maybe someone who works for Dish or may know can elaborate.

OTOH there may or may not be signal compression differences from Dish to DTV another question maybe some one can answer

PQ in my Dish service bird no's 110/119/129 western arc is fine on LCD and Plasma there is PQ variance on the HD channels
that I would attribute to the originating channel format and the programs original or archived format,

If you have a 1080i/p TV you can set the STB output to 1080i ,if you have a 720p set try both and see which looks better depending on the quality of the scaler in your STB vs the one in the TV .I Use the HD channel menu in the STB to filter out STD def channels . . Even though the STB is 1080i or 720p output to your TV the original source channel that dish receives can make a difference .EX when 480i/p origional signal is up scaled to 1080i/720p it still isn't going to display HD. Same would apply to Direct TV. I believe Dish has more HD channels than DTV I have 200+ channels on Dish but only about 100 or 110 are HD .

"The wireless music box has no commercial value. Who would pay for a message sent to nobody in particular?"
- David Sarnoff's associates at RCA the 1920's -

Last edited by tubetwister; 09-03-2014 at 12:54 PM.
post #5 of 6 Old 03-14-2013, 02:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by maximuslcd View Post

My problem is this, while watching certain shows on Tv in HD, the shows look dull, not all but some of them, then a commercial comes on and it looks great. [...] some of the HD shows look good while others like The Mentalist and NCIS just look dreary...is it dish?

Is it possible that you just don't like the "look" of the shows vs. the commercials? There is a lot of "creative intent" involved in each -- many prime-time shows (especially like the ones you described) are often rather muted in tone to set the desired mood. Many commercials on the other hand are bright and snappy. If you're watching THE SAME CHANNEL and the show looks "bad" but the commercials are "good," it would seem that DISH has nothing to do with it -- they're just passing along what's being sent from the provider.

Based on what you said, that seems to be what's going on here.
post #6 of 6 Old 03-14-2013, 10:58 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thanks for the Idea's guys, I do have an off air ant, I'll hook it up and see what they look like then. I don't believe the problem could lie in my receiver, never had a problem with it before.

Also I dont think that I just like the flashy comm colors better, there is just such a visible difference from program to program, sometimes evern on the same network. I'll try my off air ant and see what happens.
I'm using quality HDMI 1.4 cables also.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Technical

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page