Antenna Trouble In Parker, CO - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 14 Old 03-17-2013, 07:05 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi!

I am canceling my cable, and switching to an antenna and streaming services.

I am a newbie to all things antenna, and need some help.

I have mounted a Clearstream C4 on my roof and aimed it the direction that TVFool suggested to get the most channels, and for some reason I get almost all channels great EXCEPT for 9.1 and 9.2. I am not sure what I am doing wrong here.

My setup right now is Clearstream C4 mounted on roof with about a 30' run to a TV. No other components are being used. I know I can get the channel, because I have with indoor antennas, and even this antenna when I had it set up in a window in my second floor to test, but now that it is mounted, no luck.

Any ideas?

Thank you!

-Chad
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 03-17-2013, 07:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked: 89
You also need a VHF antenna. The C4 is a UHF antenna. Swapping it for a C2V would be a better choice.
post #3 of 14 Old 03-17-2013, 07:17 PM - Thread Starter

Noted. How would I know if a channel is VHF or UHF? Are not all UHF channels the digital channels?
post #4 of 14 Old 03-17-2013, 07:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 34
TVfool.com isn't working for me using either of the zip codes found on the Parker, Colorado Wikipedia page. Here is what Antennaweb.org lists:

Stations

KBDI-DT 12.1 PBS
RF Channel: 13
41 miles at 292°

KMGH-DT 7.1 ABC
RF Channel: 7
30 miles at 307°

KRMT-DT 41.1 DAY
RF Channel: 40
25 miles at 292°

KTFD-DT 14.1 TFA
RF Channel: 15
27 miles at 301°

KTSC-DT 8.1 PBS
RF Channel: 8
50 miles at 185°

KUSA-DT 9.1 NBC
RF Channel: 9
30 miles at 307°

KXDP-LP 6 IND
RF Channel: 6
41 miles at 319°

At the very least, you need an antenna that gets VHF highband channels 7-13. Where is your best prospect for CBS reception?
post #5 of 14 Old 03-17-2013, 10:35 PM - Thread Starter

I will call Clearstream tomorrow and see if they will let me swap my C4 for a C2V. That should be a good start.

The best CBS prospect is: KCNC-TV 4.1

I still don't understand why I am getting the follwoing channel great:

KMGH-DT 7.1 ABC
RF Channel: 7
30 miles at 307°

, but cannot seem to get this channel:

KUSA-DT 9.1 NBC
RF Channel: 9
30 miles at 307°

I don't understand the difference between the UHF and VHF. Do the stations decide which they broadcast on?
post #6 of 14 Old 03-17-2013, 10:50 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 14
TV Fool isn't working for me either when I enter my own address. So it sounds like the site itself is having problems. Anyway, looking at the antenna that the OP has, & it's a UHF only antenna, with a transformer that's set to tune out VHF frequencies. The Denver market has 3 VHF-Hi stations: NBC affiliate KUSA on RF 9 (the one that the OP complains can't get), ABC affiliate KMGH-TV, & PBS station KBDI-TV. The Clearstream isn't made to receive those channels, & even if it picks up some of them, results vary. This is why I never recommend these type of antennas for VHF reception (not even the Channelmaster CM4228, Antennacraft U8000, or the Winegard HD8800). I already tried my Antennas Direct DB8 (original DB8) on VHF & that does not pick up a single VHF station. A separate VHF antenna is needed & either the Antennacraft Y5-7-13 or Y10-7-13 is needed (can't recommend one or the other without a signal analysis from TV Fool, which isn't working properly right now).

To the OP, not all TV stations operate in UHF as most people want to believe. If the current FCC administration gets their way, we'll see more stations crammed on VHF & more UHF channels taken away, just so Verizon & AT&T can hog all the wireless spectrum (like they already do with a number of PCS licenses they sit on in many parts of rural America). Channels 52 - 54 & 56 - 69 were taken away to be used for wireless service, primarily by AT&T & Verizon (channel 55 was used for Qualcomm's Media-Flo service, but not sure what was done with that part of the spectrum, since Qualcomm discontinued Media-FLO).
post #7 of 14 Old 03-18-2013, 03:00 AM
AVS Special Member

ATT bought Qualcomm's spectrum on UHF 55.

TVFool has had several outages in the the last week or so that affected the interface to Google's address look-up function. If you use lat/lon coordinates, it still works. Usually, I use Bing Maps to look up addresses since it also displays the coordinates in its results.
Quote:
I will call Clearstream tomorrow and see if they will let me swap my C4 for a C2V. That should be a good start.

Actually, "clearstream" is the name of the product - the company's name is "Antennas Direct". They will tell you to exchange it wherever you bought it,ie Amazon, Best Buy, wherever... unless you bought it directly from them.

Reception of VHF with the C4 is very unreliable and you'll get various results depending on weird aiming angles and the operating channel. That's why it's important to match up the antenna's capabilities with your local stations.
Quote:
I don't understand the difference between the UHF and VHF

Those terms refer to the frequency of the radio signal used for transmission and reception. There is a direct mathematical relationship between frequency, wavelength, and the physical size of an antenna's reception elements in order to optimize the transfer of energy into the receiving system. As the C4's elements are tuned for frequencies of 470 to 700 MHz (UHF band), signals in the 174-220 MHz band (High VHF) are too long and any reception of them is going to be both inefficient and unpredictable. The C2V that I recommended earlier has a single dipole on the back that is tuned to the high-VHF band and is usually useful out to 35-50 miles in uncomplicated reception areas and should work well in the Parker area.
post #8 of 14 Old 03-18-2013, 04:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 34
With your channels 7 and 9 coming from the same tower farm, you may be experiencing something fluky, like a multipath reflection hitting your antenna that may unfortuitously be phased to tend to cancel one channel more than another, though while that is often remediable by moving the antenna slightly, getting the correct antenna for your situation will likely be the more reliable solution.

I just entered 39.5/-104.75 as coordinates into TVfool and got a list that showed your local CBS to be as strong as the other Denver stations. Then I compared the two Parker, Colorado zip codes using antennaweb.org and the difference in available signals was stark. I conclude that terrain variation in Parker, Colorado is significant enough to affect your reception prospects, but regardless or what problems terrain may cause regarding the reception of certain stations, you do need a VHF-capable antenna.
post #9 of 14 Old 03-18-2013, 10:45 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 14
TV Fool is working again. I ran a generic TV Fool chart (OP will need to run a new one with exact location), & all the Denver stations come from the 293º & 314º. Now if the OP also wants to get stations from Colorado Springs, I'd also recommend a separate UHF only antenna for CBS affiliate KKTV, ABC Affiliate KRDO-TV, Fox affiliate KXRM-TV, & NBC affiliate KOAA-TV. I wouldn't even worry about KTSC (VHF station) since it simulcasts KRMA-TV. Colorado Springs does have a lot of terrain, but might not be impossible to get. If the OP only wants Denver stations, the OP just needs to add a VHF antenna to get the VHF stations reliably.
post #10 of 14 Old 03-18-2013, 11:42 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks everyone for your help. I do have one question Dave73, what is an OP?

I have ordered the Clearstream C2V. Once it arrives I will swap it ,and post up the results.

I learned a lot. Thanks guys! I even aquired a compass today and learned how to use it in order to help aim the antenna.
post #11 of 14 Old 03-19-2013, 02:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
what is an OP?

You are the Original Poster (thread starter).
post #12 of 14 Old 04-07-2013, 07:30 PM - Thread Starter

UPDATE: Received the Clearstream C2V, and swapped it out in place for the Clearstream 4. Problems are all resolved. I now have a perfectly clear signal for both UHF and VHF channels.

Now I have a Clearstream 4 I need to get rid of. hah.

Thanks guys!
post #13 of 14 Old 04-07-2013, 07:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Order the C2 VHF Kit (it's supposed to be back in stock later this month) from Antennas Direct and make a "C4V".
post #14 of 14 Old 04-07-2013, 07:37 PM - Thread Starter

It's an idea, but don't need it. The C2V is working perfectly. smile.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Technical