Irvine, CA: Antenna question-a bit technical - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 13 Old 03-20-2013, 06:04 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a technical for only my own curiosity.

I've had a few antenna's that seemed to have good days and bad days. I was getting about 90 channels in Irvine Ca 92618
To get channel 2 well I had to point the antenna forward with the V pointed down or at the station to get 2 but I would lose 4 and maybe 7 and all the UHF.
I bought a new GE amplified antenna with real long VHF rabbit ears it seemed a bit better but still had problems with 56.3 and a few others.
Some days 2 was still in and out.

On rabbit ear was lose and would not stay up so I pulled the cover. I saw the two hollow rods for the VHF were different lengths.

I thought I wonder if it would be better with no cover, then if I can make it better.
I took 2 coat hangers and put one in each hollow hole so it looked like two ears with the hangers going up and down.
I scanned and got 8 more channels including 2.2 in San Diego and one ABC in the 7's that I had never seen.
The next day 56.3 was fading in and out.

I did all sorts of playing around and got one where everything came in. I bent a straight coat hanger rod and turned the two rods into one square loop
I re-scanned and got 109 channels, the highest ever.
Everything comes in now though I lost the 2.2 network that is a duplicate of 2.1 in LA

I guess my question is why didn't GE do this. (add that loop)
Does it make sense?

I know it works better. The math of now getting 109 vs 90 tells me that.

Thanks

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 03-20-2013, 06:12 PM - Thread Starter

BTW when I first put that loop in it was double the height and I got almost nothing.
I was about to give up and I slid it down and it kept getting better till it seemed perfect.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 13 Old 03-21-2013, 12:58 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 17
2.2 is temporarily off the air.
See LA link below

http://www.avsforum.com/t/191672/los-angeles-ca-ota/9030
post #4 of 13 Old 03-21-2013, 03:48 PM

Unfortunately you can no longer tell which channel is at a higher or lower frequency and the complication of digital technology along with it. Now channel number are carried via the information in the digital signal, not like it used to be where it was a fixed frequency for each channel and the TV was the basic radio technology of a simple receiver. That's one reason you have scanning on TV's now because you don't really know where channel 2 is, frequency wise.

Seems kind of goofy? Well some frequencies have the ability to go further than others and propagate differently within cities and the commercial TV people know this and try to be selective about where in the spectrum they are assigned. Some more than others.

Your antenna is just 'tuning' the frequencies better and that could be caused by many things that are not manufactured, such as what's nearby and the type of construction of your home, many things can change this and a manufacturer has to take what is a great antenna and change it to be as good of a performer as they can and then have the cost cut. So they face the technical along with the people counting beans to get a good product with as little cost as practical. I'm sue you know this, but some of your information is missing such as the manufacturer need to make one that works for the whole range of frequencies, not just around your home, but worldwide. This is a major undertaking and they usually settle for a relative ok antenna for everywhere.

Then apply digital to it, where a very insignificant change in signal strength is the difference between a picture and no picture. Do you remember when AM was giving way to FM and the receivers were very finicky and the 'stereo' would flip on and off? This is along the lines of today’s TV's where the data can be, to some extent corrected until you hit the spot where there is no way to correct it and that could be so minor most of can't comprehend the small significance.

Yes the manufacturers know, but it's the best overall antenna for the price and quality of the equipment. You are seeing that first hand! Best of luck.

Jack
post #5 of 13 Old 03-21-2013, 05:00 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks

Can anyone think of a way to make it better still? (I may have Obsessive Compulsive Disorder;)

post #6 of 13 Old 03-22-2013, 01:01 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by clarkf View Post

Thanks

Can anyone think of a way to make it better still? (I may have Obsessive Compulsive Disorder;)

How about adding a barrel connector & a longer piece of coax, so that you can move the antenna further from the TV & find a sweet spot in the room?

Otherwise, get an outdoor antenna & mount it in the attic or outside. I'm in irvine &I have my antenna in a utility closet facing Mt Wilson, looking thru the wood siding of my house. I think i was picking up 140+ channels last time I scanned. I get all the yellow except for 2 & 8.
http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=29&q=id%3d1dda6577bbda81

If you haven't used this part of TV fool, it lets you use satellite view & zoom in on your house & select the lines pointing towards the towers. It may help you find the best location & direction for your antenna.
http://tvfool.com/?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=90
post #7 of 13 Old 03-22-2013, 03:28 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks. 40% more channels than me. This maybe the best I can do. I can't get outside.
This is in my cement office near the train station and I have a 15 foot ceiling with a open foil insulation.
Prior to these changes I raised it 4 odd feet but it got worse so I put it back at 6 feet (4 foot from the TV)

post #8 of 13 Old 03-22-2013, 04:54 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 19
My daughter lives in a second story condo at Yale and Irvine Blvd and she is able to pick-up all the high power stations from Mt. Wilson with a HDTVi. If you have a clear shot to Mt. Wilson then maybe you can pick-up more stations with this antenna despite being in a cement office. By the way, she gets reliable reception of the VHF stations by extending each of the rabbit ears to 22 inches and tilting both up until the distance tip-to-tip is 38 inches. YMMV.
post #9 of 13 Old 03-22-2013, 11:17 PM - Thread Starter

How many channels does she get?
At one point I am aware: is the juice worth the squeeze
To spend a lot of time and money to add 10 more Vietnamese speaking channels and 3 more Home Shopping channels.......

I guessing that's about all I got when I went from 96 to 109 channels.
If I knew I would get a few good usable

post #10 of 13 Old 03-23-2013, 07:50 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by clarkf View Post

How many channels does she get?

She only watches the english speaking channels. Her stations list are 2, 4, 5, 7, 9, 11, 13, 28, 30, 50, 56, 58. Note these are the high power stations, she can't get the low power ones.
post #11 of 13 Old 03-25-2013, 05:48 PM - Thread Starter

I just got back in town
I will post a list of mine in 24 hours

post #12 of 13 Old 03-26-2013, 11:30 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredengineer View Post

She only watches the english speaking channels. Her stations list are 2, 4, 5, 7, 9, 11, 13, 28, 30, 50, 56, 58. Note these are the high power stations, she can't get the low power ones.

I got 109 channels prior to screening
Here are the channels I call usable with the boosted GE indoor set top antenna at the Irvine Train Station with all the non english- infomercial- church- screened out

2.1 CBS
4.1 NBC
5.1 KTLA
5.2 Antenna TV
5.3 ABC
7.2 Live Well
9.1 KCLA
11.1 FOX
13.1 KCOB
13.2 Bounce
28.1 KCET
50.1 PBS
50.2 PBS
50.4 World
56.1 KBOC
56.3 Me TV
56.4 PLUM (infomercial?
58.1 PBS?
58.2 PBS?
58.3 PBS?
58.4 PBS?

post #13 of 13 Old 03-26-2013, 11:33 AM - Thread Starter

I had a few duplicates Fox San Diego and Live Well San Diego not shown as I blocked them
All the PBS "type" channels shown are different shows

Reply HDTV Technical

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page