Richmond, VA: Please recommend an attic antenna based on TVFool - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 03-22-2013, 03:07 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
First post so go easy on me... I need to get a recommendation for an attic antenna to receive over the air DTV based on this report for my area: http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=29&q=id%3d1ddad55b3f7139

I tried two antennas - one that I built myself out of 2x4 and some metal coat hangers using instructions online and another one - Radioshack VHF/UHF/HD/FM Indoor Antenna with 22dB amplifier with gain control (looks like this one http://www.amazon.com/VHF-UHF-HD-FM-amplifier/dp/B003AK331A). Both performed great and were receiving all the channels I wanted with no issues. Then about a week ago something happened and I can not get a couple of channels no matter how I position any of these two antennas, connected one at a time of course. I can not get Fox channels 35.1 which is what I definitely want to have, in addition to the other 3 major networks that come in fine right now. I don't understand why it disappeared and would like something that will provide a reliable signal going forward. I live pretty close to the towers and Fox seems to be in the same direction/same distance as other major networks, like CBS and those come in very clear.

What are my options for a compact (not huge) attic antenna which is not too expensive?

Additional info on my set up. Antenna in the attic connected to an amp, pushing signal over coax into 2 outlets in the finished attic, then another coax split going down to crawl space where it connects to a splitter which pushes TV signal to all wall outlets in the house, plus into HDHomeRun dual tuner that feeds my HTPC in the living room. This HTPC needs to get the best signal as I record everything on the HTPC.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 03-23-2013, 12:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
There is nothing wrong with your antenna. Fox & 2 other stations have been operating at reduced power since early March due to a technical problem. See this thread .
post #3 of 3 Old 03-23-2013, 07:29 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Now it all makes sense... Thank you so much for posting this. Now I can go back to bragging how my DIY hanger antenna outperforms "HDTV" antennas from Walmart smile.gif Actually I was able to get all the channels again after raising the antenna higher in the attic. Not sure if it will continue to work but I am good for now and hopefully this problem is resolved soon for everyone.
Reply HDTV Technical

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page