New WHDVR install leads to no Internet. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 03-25-2013, 10:20 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
For 2 years I've had a Motorola HDDVR in one room, I recently found out that there were about 10 more HBO's I wasn't getting on my box. I put in a call to cox cable and they told me I needed to upgrade my box to a WHDVR to get those channels, so I did. Now I install TVs and theater systems for a living so I know what I'm doing when it comes to electronics, BUT... I had the install done because they don't allow you to do it yourself with having to put the MoCha filter on and all. The cable guy comes out swaps my box calls it in and it's working. Done and done. About 5 hours later my Internet goes down. All the lights on my surfboard are trying to restart. Not happening. I call cox and they schedule a tech to come out the next day. Want to bed woke up Internet is back up. I cancel the service call. Few hours later Internet is back down. Called back my appointment was unavailable. So scheduled for next day. Came out said straight away my old Motorola Surfboard 5101u wasn't compatible with the new WHDVR and proceeded to change it with a new Cisco modem/router combo. After hours of troubleshooting and trying to get it to work the tech gave up. Said he needed to come back with his supervisor later.

My question is do I need to swap modems, if so can I just buy a newer different cable modem or do I have to use this Cisco they are "selling" me? And why can't my old modem work ? Any one else run into this ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 03-25-2013, 10:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by xsilentxninjax View Post

For 2 years I've had a Motorola HDDVR in one room, I recently found out that there were about 10 more HBO's I wasn't getting on my box. I put in a call to cox cable and they told me I needed to upgrade my box to a WHDVR to get those channels, so I did. Now I install TVs and theater systems for a living so I know what I'm doing when it comes to electronics, BUT... I had the install done because they don't allow you to do it yourself with having to put the MoCha filter on and all. The cable guy comes out swaps my box calls it in and it's working. Done and done. About 5 hours later my Internet goes down. All the lights on my surfboard are trying to restart. Not happening. I call cox and they schedule a tech to come out the next day. Want to bed woke up Internet is back up. I cancel the service call. Few hours later Internet is back down. Called back my appointment was unavailable. So scheduled for next day. Came out said straight away my old Motorola Surfboard 5101u wasn't compatible with the new WHDVR and proceeded to change it with a new Cisco modem/router combo. After hours of troubleshooting and trying to get it to work the tech gave up. Said he needed to come back with his supervisor later.

My question is do I need to swap modems, if so can I just buy a newer different cable modem or do I have to use this Cisco they are "selling" me? And why can't my old modem work ? Any one else run into this ?

The change of DVR should not affect your HSI if the MoCA filter was installed correctly. Intermittent nature of the failure leads me to think it's a loose connection somewhere. A decent tech should be able to fix it in no time. I have a Cisco 8642HDC DVR with MoCA filter, and my 10-year old modem still works fine.
post #3 of 3 Old 05-07-2013, 12:08 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
the modem was a DOCIS 2, needed to be changed to a DOCIS 3, the tech still couldn't get it to work, wasted my day and came back with a supervisor after 6pm. they got it to work when i put my own modem in and FINALLY listened to me that the filter was bad. Everything finally started working and they left. had an outage in my area that left me with no internet for 4 days, the outage was only 1 day. scheduled another tech to come out he put a MOCHA filter on the back of my modem and solved the problem. no one seems to know what needs to happen with this new system.

ON TOP of all that, i experience pixelation, sound lost and skipping during recorded shows and live television. i don't believe it's a signal loss issue because the supervisor that came put his meter on my line in and out of my apartment and said the levels were good. so why do i have these problems ?
Reply HDTV Technical

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page