OTA outdoor antenna mast clamps - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 03-27-2013, 08:27 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm having a problem with the wind turning my directional OTA antenna. The mast is turning in the metal horseshoe style bolts that tighten the mast to the metal mounts. These metal mounts themselves are mounted to metal bands that circle my chimney. Over the years, I've bought different gauge and shaped horseshoe bolts. I've also tried covering the bolts with rubber sleeves used for wire insulation, to maybe get better grip on the mast. I've snapped many a horseshoe bolt tightening them down too much.

I was wondering if anyone has tried something better to keep the mast from turning.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 03-27-2013, 09:02 AM

Liked: 12
Suggest you try hose clamps; the stainless steel screw-type, available in many sizes. These would give lots more contact area around the mast (than U-bolts) to increase friction, plus the serrations in the band will give some more. The more clamps you add, the better. I'll try to send an image.

3uzequsy.jpg
post #3 of 5 Old 03-28-2013, 05:47 AM

Liked: 10
Have you tried drilling a hole through the mount (our mount already had a convenient hole) and one wall of the mast? Then use a sheet metal screw to prevent rotation?

/tom
post #4 of 5 Old 03-28-2013, 01:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked: 244
Chimney mounted antennas can be a problem for the very reason you mention. As suggested, you can try to drill thru the mast and fix the location, or use the hose clamps, but either method doesn't always work over time. You could install a rotor so when the antenna moves, you could tweak its orientation from the comfort of your living room. Our antenna is mounted 15' above the roof apex using 3 sets of guy wires and a rotor. The antenna has never come down or lost reception in almost 30 years of use,and we rarely have to use the rotor.
post #5 of 5 Old 04-01-2013, 11:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by stonie_rocks View Post

I'm having a problem with the wind turning my directional OTA antenna. The mast is turning in the metal horseshoe style bolts that tighten the mast to the metal mounts. ............

Thanks!

Have you been using the kind that have a "V-block" with serrated teeth, or just standard muffler clamps, that don't bite in to the pipe?
Antennas need the ones with teeth...usually sold at an electronics parts house or wholesale outlet.

Ken English, Sr. Engineer, KSL-TV.
"The postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent the Company positions, strategies or opinions."
Reply HDTV Technical

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page