Ditching the Box but have a converter question o-please - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 04-05-2013, 07:01 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I am going OTA and the main system is on a Samsung 1080p dig ready so no problem there. It's the bedroom system that's on a older PIP component input 36" CRT non Dig. I have a Sony RDR GX300. Can I use that as a converter box along with all it's whistles and bells?
Thanks for you time

There are two holes in Daddys head where all the money goes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 04-05-2013, 07:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Sony DRD GX300 is old school, low resolution only, that can only record the old NTSC Analog RF signals, found only on some cable system's Analog Tier and a limited number of low power, limited audience OTA stations and repeaters...which are being phased out "soon" All of the major networks have transitioned to DTV On-Air (ATSC) signals which will NOT be recognized by the GX300.

If you want to still use the GX300, you COULD pick up an inexpensive new or used low-rez CECB (Coupon Eligible Converter Box), which can output NTSC on RF Ch3/4 or Composite Video (Yellow/Red/White). You'll also have to manually select the channel via CECB controls you want to record on GX300.
What you SHOULD do is consider purchasing an OTA ATSC HD Recorder, which can output 720p or 1080i (sometimes 1080p) to the DLP via either Component Video (Red/Blue/Green) Interface or DVI (HDMI to DVI cable may be required) or HDMI-HDMI cable if DLP is so equipped. TiVo HD DVR is one of the better alternatives (monthly subscription or higher "lifetime subscription" purchase price option). Be advised that DVD Recorders with built-in OTA ATSC Tuners record in a format that has reduced resolution, which is then upconverted to 720p or 1080i (and maybe 1080p) for output via Component Video and HDMI Interfaces. See HD OTA Recorder Threads for info on these and other options:
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1061644/the-official-avs-hdtv-recording-synopsis
http://www.avsforum.com/f/42/hdtv-recorders
post #3 of 9 Old 04-06-2013, 07:41 AM - Thread Starter

I really do want to thank you for that information! Recording is not that important or not as important as just getting the old non dig TV to work so I guess I will just have to get a converter box then. Any suggestions on a good one?

post #4 of 9 Old 04-06-2013, 08:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Liked: 239
^^^^ way back when I got two CECB boxes for a back bedroom and garage analog set. The boxes were made by Insignia (LG). They worked great then and still work great today.
post #5 of 9 Old 04-06-2013, 10:35 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks again-been doing some research and the old CRT has S-Video input so I thought the Channel Master CM7000 would be a good choice?

post #6 of 9 Old 04-06-2013, 10:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 85
I have 4 of the CMs and they are probably the best CECB for resolution and multipath with only a slight nod to the Zenith/Insignia CECBs(like Otto mentioned) for weak signal situations.
The issue with some of the CM(not any of mine) is some are starting to exhibit premature power supply capacitor failure, they can be fixed by unsoldering and replacing the bad caps but you have to like doing that kind of thing. The Zeinith/Insignia boxes are a bit more polished but if picture quality(S-video) and multipath are concerns then by all means get the CM, it has a very PSIP guide too.
post #7 of 9 Old 04-06-2013, 09:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 57
If your DLP is truly capable of displaying HD signals via Component Video (or DVI) Interface, then for a few more bucks you could display OTA HD ATSC signals using HD STB:
http://www.avsforum.com/t/179095/the-official-avs-hdtv-stb-synopsis
post #8 of 9 Old 04-07-2013, 06:36 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by holl_ands View Post

If your DLP is truly capable of displaying HD signals via Component Video (or DVI) Interface, then for a few more bucks you could display OTA HD ATSC signals using HD STB:
http://www.avsforum.com/t/179095/the-official-avs-hdtv-stb-synopsis

I am not concerned with my 52" Plasma-it will be fine. It's my 36" non Dig CRT I am trying to take care of.
Thanks all for your time

post #9 of 9 Old 04-12-2013, 05:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: North of Mexico, South of Oregon, Not as far east as Vegas
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtexasdog View Post

Thanks again-been doing some research and the old CRT has S-Video input so I thought the Channel Master CM7000 would be a good choice?
They work decently I used to use one with a 27 inch crt and it was fine, give it a try.

"Bring out yer dead!".."Wait I'm not dead yet!"..(Sound Austrian here) "WRONG !!" (You know what happens next..)
Reply HDTV Technical

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page