Monroe, NC - Antenna Help - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 17 Old 04-06-2013, 06:29 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
TVFool Link

I recently moved and my RCA rabbit ears aren't cutting it. Can someone please recommend an indoor antenna or if you also feel a booster is needed or even something more powerful? Currently CBS and NBC don't come in at all or barely. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 04-06-2013, 10:04 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 18
If you don't mind buying from Ebay, the single classic bowtie would be a good choice. They have it listed as UHF Bow-Tie Replacement TV Antenna. If you still have problems with CBS, some amplification would be worth a try. Preamps can be bought separately. I also like the Mohu Leaf, but it costs a lot more and may do no better for you. Good Luck.
post #3 of 17 Old 04-06-2013, 11:40 PM - Thread Starter

I currently have
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000HKGK8Y/ref=mp_s_a_1?qid=1365316712&sr=8-2&pi=SL75

you think the eBay one would be better? I don't mind buying from eBay.
post #4 of 17 Old 04-07-2013, 12:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked: 92
Most of the major Charlotte channels are UHF, except for WTVI. So you would need a good indoor antenna optimized for UHF such as the Antennas Direct Clearstream 1 sold at Walmart for $59. Or even consider the Clearstream 2V, which adds an extra UHF loop and a dipole for VHF. And you may want to add an inline amp such as the RCA version sold at Walmart for $15. Or you could consider the Terk HDTVa sold at HHG, which comes with an amp. But a bit pricey unless you order online. Also any DB2 or 4220 antenna would be good as well. Some options to consider. And at your location, WSOC-TV Channel 9 and WCCB-18 should be very strong, with CBS, NBC, and CW a bit weaker. And since WJZY-46 will soon be changing to FOX, you will probably indeed want a better antenna to reliably receive the more distant channels. Or better yet, try an antenna outdoors. Such as CS2V, 4221, or DB4e. And a low gain Winegard 269 preamp. Good luck there.
post #5 of 17 Old 04-07-2013, 12:12 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by manofice View Post

I currently have
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000HKGK8Y/ref=mp_s_a_1?qid=1365316712&sr=8-2&pi=SL75

you think the eBay one would be better? I don't mind buying from eBay.

Yes. I have the RS budget rabbit ear + loop antenna. I also have the Leaf, Flatwave, HD Blade, and Silver Sensor (similar to the Terk) antennas. I've been trying out the DB2e for the past several weeks in a room with lots of EMI and multipath and it isn't doing much better. Your reception may depend upon whether or not you have a window facing north. It's impossible to tell. The classic bowtie is a good UHF antenna and I'd guess you won't have problems with the PBS on rf 11. CBS is the wildcard. I don't know if the classic bowtie will get you that reliably.
post #6 of 17 Old 04-07-2013, 02:31 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for all the replies, the tv is in front of a window facing north. I guess I need to think whether I want an attic antenna or a simpler indoor antenna. I do have this network box down stairs that accepts an antenna input and then outputs to each coaxial port in the house and the attic has two coaxial cables up there. Which would be a better antenna for picking up mostly uhf channels, CS2V, 4221, or DB4e? My buddy brought over a white leaf looking antenna and it got 25 channels but CBS was still choppy but my current RCA only gets 11 channels
post #7 of 17 Old 04-07-2013, 06:15 PM
AVS Special Member

I would speculate that perhaps the DB4e or CM-4221 would be best in the attic, and you should try to find a sweet spot between the Charlotte and Gaston County towers. And use a dist amp near the antennas in the attic, such as Motorola BDA-S1. There is also a Viewsonics dist amp that was available on Amazon for $19.99, and it should perform well, and PCT/Channel Master amps are good also. You should try to amplify the signal before the split in the junction box, and if you don't have power in the attic, you will need to purchase a remote power supply. MCM Electronics also has a Holland dist amp for $14.99 after coupon code, and they sell the separate power supply and voltage block. And they have a great deal on a 4228 type 8-bay antenna with adjustable sides for $49.99, which would allow precise aiming for both towers and high gain. That may be a good choice, and these 15db amps would be more than enough power.
post #8 of 17 Old 04-08-2013, 06:59 AM - Thread Starter

Would you recommend this one then from MCM? Or the DB4E... price is about the same.

http://www.mcmelectronics.com/product/30-2430&green=82c98032-a1fd-46d4-afc0-0ed2e5145071

Or would this even be suitable?

http://www.mcmelectronics.com/product/STELLAR-LABS-30-2425-/30-2425
post #9 of 17 Old 04-08-2013, 07:52 AM
AVS Special Member

The Quad-Bay version from MCM should probably work fine as well, you will just have to find a sweet spot between both tower sites. But the 8-Bay version can allow adjustable aiming for both directions if needed, or one strong gain. These antennas are similar to the new Channel Master versions, but at a much lower cost. And they could perhaps even be made by the same Chinese manufacturer. Just remember to consider a dist amp.
post #10 of 17 Old 04-08-2013, 08:10 AM - Thread Starter

What would be the advantages of aiming at the charlotte towers and gaston county towers? Better signal or would I get like 2 ABC channels?

Also is the Quad-Bay version from MCM the equivalent to the DB4E?

Edit: nevermind I see the quad bay version would be equivalent to the CM-4221HD

edit: In addition to a distance amp, would I need a pre-amp? Or are they they same thing?
post #11 of 17 Old 04-08-2013, 02:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Charlotte signals come from 2 locations. WSOC-TV Channel 9 and WCCB-18 are near the University area of Charlotte in Newell. Which is ABC and FOX. The other channels, WBTV-3, WCNC-36, WJZY-46, and WMYT-55 are in Dallas in Gaston County. The Newell signals are closer and easier to receive at your location in Monroe. So you should aim your antenna probably more to the west toward Dallas, but trying to find a sweet spot to receive signals from both locations. And only one amp should be necessary, and probably place it at the antenna in the attic, or right before the signal splits at the junction box. And a dist amp becomes a preamp when used with a remote power supply, rather than plugged in directly to an electrical outlet. The Holland amp from MCM can be used both ways, and they also sell the remote power supply. Same with Motorola, Channel Master, and Viewsonics versions. Or you may want to consider a Winegard 269 which is a preamp only. The amp may help prevent dropouts on CBS Channel 3. The Dallas towers are much taller, so you should still get a good signal, although 36 and 46 are side mounted more in your direction than 3 which is more omnidirectional. And be aware that FOX is moving to 46 in July, which is currently CW. And you may get a secondary ABC signal from one of the WSOC translators, but the main Newell signal on RF34 should be your easiest and strongest.
post #12 of 17 Old 04-08-2013, 02:19 PM
AVS Special Member

The MCM 4-Bay is similar to the Channel Master 4221 but less expensive. The DB4e is also a 4-Bay from Antennas Direct, but reportedly higher gain and a better design. But for that price, the 8-Bay from MCM with adjustable aim may be a better choice, as you can aim each side to each tower location.
post #13 of 17 Old 04-08-2013, 03:02 PM - Thread Starter

I was gonna get the view sonic one, I have a power outlet in attic I was gonna use, so I don't need to buy a remote power thingy. With that being said should I buy a distance amp or the windgard 269?
post #14 of 17 Old 04-08-2013, 05:41 PM
AVS Special Member

The Winegard 269 may be recommended because it is resistant to overload, and your WSOC and WCCB signals are probably very strong. It is a preamp and comes with the power supply. But it will probably need to be powered before the splits in the junction box. But the Viewsonics amp is cheaper at $19.99 and will probably work fine, and will be easier to install at the antenna since you have power in the attic.
post #15 of 17 Old 04-09-2013, 01:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerSC View Post

Charlotte signals come from 2 locations. WSOC-TV Channel 9 and WCCB-18 are near the University area of Charlotte in Newell. Which is ABC and FOX. The other channels, WBTV-3, WCNC-36, WJZY-46, and WMYT-55 are in Dallas in Gaston County. The Newell signals are closer and easier to receive at your location in Monroe.

Based on eyeballing Google Maps, it looks to me like the Newell signals are somewhat further away from Monroe, maybe by about 30%. The two groups are separated by about 30 degrees in direction.
post #16 of 17 Old 04-09-2013, 02:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Having lived in Cabarrus County previously, I know from personal experience that the Newell signals were stronger than the Dallas signals on the eastern side of Charlotte. Back in the analog days. WSOC and WCCB often had ghosting due to strong signals creating multipath, whereas WBTV was sometimes snowy and subject to electrical noise and interference. WCNC and WJZY from Dallas could be showy and difficult to receive as well, depending upon location.
post #17 of 17 Old 04-09-2013, 07:00 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for everyone's input, I went with the mcm 8 bowtie and view sonic distribution amp. The price with coupon was right. I'll take some pictures when I'm done
Reply HDTV Technical

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page