upscaling - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 04-08-2013, 01:44 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
My mother just got a 47" 720p TV but has an older standerd def DVD player. I have a 52" 1080p TV with a Blu-ray player and with the upscaling the picture is great but i'm wondering if a Blu-ray player will improve the picture on none BD discs on my moms 720p set and how much?

danwhite247metal@msn.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 04-08-2013, 02:18 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked: 273
A 720p (native resolution) TV will upscale to 720p anyway. So, I don't think a BR player will be that much of a visable improvement or worth the investment for SD DVD's.

You can easily take your BR player over to Mom's house and test/compare for yourself. wink.gif
post #3 of 3 Old 04-09-2013, 07:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Signal Processing algorithms in a modern Blu-Ray Player MIGHT be significantly better than those in the HDTV. You also MIGHT see a noticeable difference if you switch between a Blu-Ray Player's HDMI and Component Video Output Interfaces, since these algorithms might not be applied the same on each Interface, for example HDMI Output MAY OR MAY NOT be a direct bit-for-bit stream read off the DVD, bypassing the Blu-Ray's Signal Processor and thereby relying solely on the algorithms in the HDTV.

Here is a description of the advanced Signal Processing algorithms in my pricey OPPO BD-93 3D Blu-Ray Player:
http://www.marvell.com/digital-entertainment/assets/qdeo_extended_technology_brief.pdf
and a description of other similar algorithms and why they are needed:
http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volume_7_4/dvd-benchmark-part-5-progressive-10-2000.html
You should be able to track down a generalized description of the algorithms in YOUR Blu-Ray Player....I'll bet they're much better than her old DVD Player....

And of course, there will be a big jump in PQ when playing Hi-Rez Blu-Ray discs...although not quite as good as on a 1080p HDTV....
Reply HDTV Technical

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page