Possible HDMI Handshake Problem? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 04-11-2013, 08:07 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Pulling my hair out trying to figure this out. I had my PS3, Blu Ray (LG), and cable box (Samsung/Cablevision) all running to my TV (LG) and everything was working great. I had the TV wall mounted last week and the HDMI cables for all run in the wall. The cable box and the PS3 work beautifully, no matter what port I hook them up to. The Blu Ray though gives me a "no signal" message on 99% of my hook up attempts. The other 1% is does me the home screen but there is a tremendous amount of picture noise. I grabbed my Sony Blu Ray from another room and it works ago, but there is a decent amount of noise/random "snow" on that too, both regardless of what port I use.

I'm assuming that it's not the wiring since the PS3 and cable box work ok, but can't figure out wht else it could be. The only other thing I could find by searching was a potential HDMI handshake issue, but I'm not sure how to fix this. Anyone encounter this/know what to do?

I am using slim redmere HDMI that are going from the TV to HDMI wall plates, connected via in wall rated HDMI to lower wall plates and from there to the components (all from monoprice). Like I said though, other components seem to work ok on all ports, and I also traded different cables.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 04-11-2013, 02:55 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 228 Post(s)
Liked: 314
If it was "handshake", it wouldn't work at all. Best suggestion is to contact Monoprice for assistance and/or remediation.
post #3 of 11 Old 04-11-2013, 03:01 PM - Thread Starter

Geez, really? I was hoping it wasn't the wiring. I contacted LG support as well and they said I should try hooking it up using component cables to see if the unit reset to factory settings when I discounted the power and is now set at 1080p resolution rather than 1080i or 720 that it should be at. Does that sound like a possibility? I'm going to try when I get back home tonight.
post #4 of 11 Old 04-11-2013, 03:19 PM - Thread Starter

Ok, spoke to monoprice. They think its because I'm using non red mere cables in the wall while using red mere outside of the wall. I specifically asked that question when ordering and was told it wouldn't be an issue. Going to try hooking it up directly to TV to see if that is the case.
post #5 of 11 Old 04-11-2013, 09:36 PM - Thread Starter

So after posting here, on another forum, talking to LG and to Monoprice, I tested a couple of things out tonight.

The blu ray player works fine when it is connected:
- directly to the TV using component cables
- directly to the TV using standard HDMI cable
- directly to the TV using the redmere HDMI cable
- connected to the wall plate via standard hdmi to in wall standard hdmi to hdmi wall plate to redmere to TV
- connected to the wall plate via standard hdmi to in wall standard hdmi to hdmi wall plate to standard hdmi to TV
- connected to the wall plate via redmere to in wall standard hdmi to hdmi wall plate to standard hdmi to TV

The only time is does not work is when I do the routing that monoprice told me is appropriate (and is the way that my ps3 and cable box are working), which is:
- connected to the wall plate via redmere to in wall standard hdmi to hdmi wall plate to redmere to TV
- it also doesn't work if I pull the wall plate from the wall and do redmere to wall plate to redmere to tv, so apparently having redmere at both ends is an issue for this player

I'm not sure why, and obviously from the list above I have plenty of ways that do work, but its driving me nuts why it wouldn't work the way it is supposed to. I'm going to reach out to Monoprice tech support again tomorrow, but if anyone has any ideas, I'd appreciate it, especially if I go with another HTIB in the future.

Thanks.
post #6 of 11 Old 04-12-2013, 05:05 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Just to be sure....

Note that HDMI Cables with RedMere are directional. One end must be connected to the source device (e.g., blu-ray player) and the other end to the sink/display (e.g., HDTV). Hooking them up backwards will not damage anything, they just won't transmit a signal.
post #7 of 11 Old 04-12-2013, 05:12 AM - Thread Starter

Ratman- thanks. Thankfully I was aware if that part or I would be banging my head right now for missing it!
post #8 of 11 Old 04-12-2013, 07:53 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 41
If you are still having problems, I'm sure that Andy in the HDMI forum can help you.

We are here to help you. Please help us to help you. If you provide incomplete information, at best, we can give you an incomplete response.
post #9 of 11 Old 04-12-2013, 11:54 AM
AVS Addicted Member

If I understand your "testing" post, why not just use a Redmere at only one wallplate and leave it at that?
(and.... you'll have a spare Redmere HDMI cable)
post #10 of 11 Old 04-12-2013, 02:28 PM - Thread Starter

Agreed, I just wanted to make sure nothing was actually wrong in the wiring. Thanks.
post #11 of 11 Old 04-12-2013, 03:35 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Other than determining that the two Redmere cables don't "play nice" together, there's nothing "wrong" in your wiring. smile.gif
Personally? I'd get back in touch with Monoprice and try to get a refund and/or some compensation for your inconvenience based on their recommendation.
Reply HDTV Technical

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page