no locals on directv - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 04-14-2013, 01:35 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
hello there i have a directv hd dvr 23 i have no locals and i am getting no signals on sat 99 s and 103 s i notice that i have a sat 1 and sat 2 in the back of the receiver but only one wire is running from sat in 1 and no wires from sat in 2. Is this the reason why am not getting any locals i am using a swm dish all the other satellites are in any suggestion i have this install at my second home and cant call directv.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 04-14-2013, 01:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Where are you located, and what is the weather like right now?

If you are having bad weather, the locals may be getting blocked by storms...especially if they are on Ka band.
Otherwise, you might be too far from the "home" location, and out of the stronger part of the spot beam for your home market.

Ken English, Sr. Engineer, KSL-TV.
"The postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent the Company positions, strategies or opinions."
post #3 of 10 Old 04-14-2013, 02:00 PM - Thread Starter

i would agree with you if my standard receiver wasnt showing the locals from my home state am in Florida the weather is good and i live in NY
post #4 of 10 Old 04-14-2013, 07:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 69
It depends on which spot beam your locals are on and which LNB is needed to pick them up.

Did you go through the HR23 setup and tell it what kind of dish unit is installed?
post #5 of 10 Old 04-15-2013, 09:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Which market in New York, New York City?

Unless you are in the New York City DMA back home, you are most likely not going to be able to get your HD local channels in Florida. The HD spot beams are way smaller than that. If you do live in the New York City DMA, then your locals are carried as CONUS beams instead of spot beams and you should be able to get them (they wouldn't be coming off the 99s or 103s transponders).

The SD local channels come off different satellites and have different spot beam maps that I think are much less localized, that may be why you can still get your SD local channels there.

If you have a SWM dish, or SWM multiswitch then you should only have one coax cabel hooked up to any receiver or DVR, so that shouldn't be an issue (unless you don't really have a SWM dish/multiswitch).

You said this is your second home, are you going to be there for a while? If so call DirecTV and have them move your service address to your vacation homes address, then you can get the local channels from there. This is the proper way to do this. DirecTV won't have an issue with this assuming you only do it a few times a year. If you are calling every weekend or so to change the address then they will likely make you get a second account.

All this said, it is against DirecTVs Terms Of Service, to have accounts active in two places at once. So if you are at your vacation home watching DirecTV, nobody should be watching it at your primary home back in New York. Doing so will get your account suspended/cancelled if they catch you.
post #6 of 10 Old 04-15-2013, 09:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Typically locals are on spot beams so you may not get them in FLA.
post #7 of 10 Old 04-15-2013, 11:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by storyteller2k3 View Post

i would agree with you if my standard receiver wasnt showing the locals from my home state am in Florida the weather is good and i live in NY

Are you saying that you have two receivers, one an HD DVR and one a standard-definition receiver?
If you are receiving the New York locals on the standard-def receiver, they are SD feeds that are transmitted on the 101-degree satellite, on a CONUS (Continental U.S., or "wide") beam. That's why they are coming in.

The HD locals from New York are transmitted on the New York spot-beam from the 99-degree Ka satellite. You are way to far away to receive that signal. While vacationing n Florida, DirecTV could change your receiver over to the nearest Florida DMA's HD signal, but it would change your SD locals to Florida, too.

I think there's a way to tell the HD receiver to try and get the SD signal from 101, rather than the HD signal from 99. Someone here may know how to change the setup, or you could look around the dbstalk.com forums.

Ken English, Sr. Engineer, KSL-TV.
"The postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent the Company positions, strategies or opinions."
post #8 of 10 Old 04-17-2013, 05:26 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 265
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerstalker View Post

All this said, it is against DirecTVs Terms Of Service, to have accounts active in two places at once
Though they have no problem with you having TWO accounts simultaneously. I had one here and one in Oklahoma for a number of years. You can talk them into a bit of a discount. I got 12 months for the price of 10 with the secondary account.

Walking the fine line between jaw-dropping and a plain ol' yawn.
post #9 of 10 Old 04-18-2013, 06:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenglish View Post

...I think there's a way to tell the HD receiver to try and get the SD signal from 101, rather than the HD signal from 99. Someone here may know how to change the setup, or you could look around the dbstalk.com forums.

I haven't actually done it myself, but I have been told that you change the guide option to show both standard definition and high definition. I'm going to be doing that at a restaurant where they are occasionally getting pelted by radar, figuring that it radar is corrupting signals in one band, it is unlikely to similarly corrupt another band at the same time.

As far as the New York "locals" are concerned, I think that just the four main networks, and possibly WWOR and WPIX, are on CONUS.
post #10 of 10 Old 07-28-2013, 04:51 AM

Did you get this going? I think i know what you are trying to accomplish - I did the same thing
Reply HDTV Technical

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page