Does TruMotion work at 50Hz? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 04-15-2013, 12:47 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
In the user guide for my LG LM6410 it says "If the video signal is 60Hz, Trumotion may not work". For me, in New Zealand, all TV (I believe) is broadcasted at 50Hz, so i was wondering whether Trumotion also may not work at 50Hz.

I know everyone is going to say "just try it out, and if you can't tell the difference then what does it matter anyway?" But the thing is at the moment I only have standard definition @ 50Hz and it looks so awful, most of the time, that it would be difficult to tell the difference between terrible and disastrous. And I want to get HD tv broadcast to watch sports on, but not if Trumotion doesn't work. This is really buggin me because I would have got a plasma if I knew it wasn't going to work.

Also, I don't even know if my panel is 100Hz or not because every store in NZ that sold this TV advertised the refresh rate as 100 Hz but then the specs on the LG site just say "Trumotion 100Hz". If my panel is 100Hz does that mean it will be better for sports, compared to 50hz, even without Trumotion on?

I will be very grateful for any help or ideas because Sky has a monopoly on sports in NZ and we have to buy their basic package first, plus sports, then toget hd we have to pay for a mysky decoder (allows you to record tv) and an HD ticket on top of that, and the minimum term is 12 months. So its a lot of money, so Sport looking good on my tv is an important factor indeciding whther to spend that money vs going to the pub to watch the rugby.

Thanks everyone.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 04-17-2013, 11:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 43
AIUI a lot of the Trumotion-type processing is aimed at converting 24/25 (&30?) fps "film look" content to 50/60fps "video look" (which many feel looks 'smoother' and less 'jerky'), and doesn't do much to native 50/60 fps interlaced (or high frame rate progressive) content.

I suspect the handling of 50 and 60Hz content will be broadly similar, and differ to the handling of 24/25 Hz content (whether delivered 24p native or carried in a 50 or 60Hz wrapper)
Reply HDTV Technical

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page