Step by step direction on using excisting DirecTV conection on an outdoor antena - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 04-15-2013, 04:59 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am planing to cancel my DirecTV and would like to use the existing cable connection. Can someone send me step by step directions on how I do that? I have two receivers one in the basement and one on the second floor.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 04-15-2013, 09:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 19
Connect the antenna to the main line into your house, then connect the existing coax to the tv's. Depending on how many times the cable is split, you may need an amplifier for the antenna.
post #3 of 10 Old 04-16-2013, 06:52 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I have yet to get an amplifier for my antenna, but I did get a distribution amp (powered splitter). Made a world of difference. Signal boost was 20% for all my stations and it allowed for me to grab an extra station just barely.

So I am going to get up there, readjust my antenna I think 15degrees and add a antenna amp. Should end up getting all my 11 stations / 30channels in the 90%+ range.

DirectTV lines have a ground on them, so you won't have to worry about that. Just check the ground on both ends and make sure they are at least connected.
I was going to use my DirecTV lines but discovered the last provider I used when they ran their "own" coax, they snipped the feed from the dish in multiple places. mad.gif
So when I get up there I now need to run a ground as well.
post #4 of 10 Old 04-16-2013, 07:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 31
I would not use both an antenna preamp and a distribution amp together, unless you have some good test equipment and the skills to use it.
A preamp will probably give you plenty of gain (most have far more gain than a typical distribution amp), so you could use standard splitters after that.
A preamp will likely add noise and cause distortion (due to overload) when it feeds another amp.

Most distribution amps are just a combination of a 15 dB amplifier and as many as 4 or 8 outputs from a built-in splitter. So, a one-output DA would give you the same signal boost as a 15 dB preamp, but with a bit more noise than a typical preamp....so, maybe about as good as a 13 dB preamp. A four-output DA is the same 15 dB amp, with a 4-way splitter built-in, so it has a total gain of about 7 dB to each output. Degrade it slightly for the noise figure of a DA, it's like a 5 or 6 dB preamp.

Ken English, Sr. Engineer, KSL-TV.
"The postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent the Company positions, strategies or opinions."
post #5 of 10 Old 04-16-2013, 09:00 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Ken,

It's been my observation that, of the several distribution amps I've tested, several have been as good as (in some cases even better) than "popular", often-touted pre-amps when it comes to the measured noise figures.

YMMV.

Tech support for Antennas Direct
post #6 of 10 Old 04-16-2013, 01:04 PM - Thread Starter

Hey guys thanks for getting back to me. When it comes to this stuff I an totally illiterate. Can you tell me using simple words what cable is the one that goes to the outdoor antenna? I see 3 cables coming out of the back of the DirecTV dish two goes to my the TV on the second floor and the other one I figure out is ground. (see attach picture)

Now this is where it gets confusing for me! I only see three cables coming out of the back of the DirecTV dish but when I go to the back of the house I see that there are five cables connected to the Eagle Aspen unit (not sure what is call). May this is a grounding block or static discharger unit?. What do I replace it with and what cable attaches to the new unit? I know that one of the white cable connects to the TV in the basement and the green one is the ground cable that attaches to the metal rod in the ground.
I am including two photos showing what I am talking about!

Thank you for your help!
post #7 of 10 Old 04-16-2013, 01:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADTech View Post

Ken,

It's been my observation that, of the several distribution amps I've tested, several have been as good as (in some cases even better) than "popular", often-touted pre-amps when it comes to the measured noise figures.

YMMV.

Ditto. I've been using "off the shelf" 15dB distribution amps as "preamps" for years, and saving myself a bundle by doing so.
post #8 of 10 Old 04-16-2013, 04:17 PM - Thread Starter

Hello sitlet,

Thanks for getting back to me. When it comes to this stuff I an totally illiterate. Can you tell me using simple words what cable is the one that goes to the outdoor antenna? I see 3 cables coming out of the back of the DirecTV dish two goes to my the TV on the second floor and the other one I figure out is ground. (see attach picture)

Now this is where it gets confusing for me! I only see three cables coming out of the back of the DirecTV dish but when I go to the back of the house I see that there are five cables connected to the Eagle Aspen unit (not sure what is call). May this is a grounding block or static discharger unit?. What do I replace it with and what cable attaches to the new unit? I know that one of the white cable connects to the TV in the basement and the green one is the ground cable that attaches to the metal rod in the ground.
I am including two photos showing what I am talking about!

Thanks! Jorge49
post #9 of 10 Old 04-17-2013, 08:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 19
C and D are your satellite inputs. The input between C and D on the right side of the photo is an antenna input. However, I'm not too familiar with Directv, but I'm almost positive that switch is powered by the receivers itself, so you cannot use this if you are not using the receivers.

The 4 cables on the left are what goes into your house. Which one goes where, only you can find that out.

So hopefully someone can answer the question about how that unit gets powered. If it doesn't need power, you should be able to connect the antenna to the antenna in on the right side. If not, you will either need to get a preamp and a 1-in 4-out splitter, or a 4 out distribution amp. You would connect the input to the antenna, and the outputs to the 4 cables on the left of that pic.
post #10 of 10 Old 04-18-2013, 11:40 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you sitlet! I have figure out what I need to do! I apresiate your help!!!
Reply HDTV Technical

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page