HDMI putting out stereo sound - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 04-19-2013, 02:21 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am having a problem with my cable box and receiver. I have a Motorola DCT6412 cable box, I connected it to my Pioneer VSX 1018 receiver with a HDMI cable. I am getting a HD picture but the sound is coming out in stereo, not using all of my speakers. I connected an optical cable and I get all of my speakers in use. Does anyone know why this is happening ?
Another question that I couldn't find an answer for, can you get DolbyTrueHD and DTS-HD from television shows like Person of Interest ?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 04-19-2013, 04:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 228
It may be as simple as a defective HDMI cable. Did it ever work correctly? You may want to check your audio output settings on your cable box. TV shows are not broadcast in DolbyTruHD or DTS-HD. That takes a lot of bandwidth. A lot of new shows are broadcast in discrete 5.1 (at least OTA) which sounds really good. Speaking of which, optical cables will only pass 5.1, they can not pass DolbyTruHD or DTS-HD. High Speed HDMI cables can pass anything.
post #3 of 5 Old 04-19-2013, 04:57 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
Yes, I tried a couple of different cables and this is the first time I tried this connection.
post #4 of 5 Old 04-19-2013, 07:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Banner23 View Post

I am having a problem with my cable box and receiver. I have a Motorola DCT6412 cable box, I connected it to my Pioneer VSX 1018 receiver with a HDMI cable. I am getting a HD picture but the sound is coming out in stereo, not using all of my speakers. I connected an optical cable and I get all of my speakers in use. Does anyone know why this is happening ?
Another question that I couldn't find an answer for, can you get DolbyTrueHD and DTS-HD from television shows like Person of Interest ?

Thanks

Check your cable box menu settings. See if the audio out is set correctly. Or perhaps the menu settings on the amp need to be configured.
If you can't find anything, the optical cable will work fine, its basically the same thing.

TV broadcasts do not transmit in DolbyTru-HD or DTS Master Audio. Those formats are only for Blu-Ray, and can only be decoded through an HDMI cable through a receiver capable of decoding those formats. The best you are going to do with tv shows is 5.1.
post #5 of 5 Old 04-19-2013, 08:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 228
Quote:
Originally Posted by Banner23 View Post

Yes, I tried a couple of different cables and this is the first time I tried this connection.

mikepier basically echoed what I said so check the Moto's output settings for what your audio options are. And yes, to emphasize what we said, the only way you can have HD audio (DolbyTru HD/ DTS-MA) is from a blu-ray movie. Cable/sat boxes or OTA don't have the codecs, or the bandwidth, to decode HD audio.
Reply HDTV Technical

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page