Existing in wall wiring - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 04-21-2013, 06:42 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I bought my house and it is wired with in wall a/v cables for the tv. I want to run 2 hdmi cables instead. The cables run up the wall through the ceiling and down another wall where they hook up to my cable box. Is it as simple as fishing the hdmi through the wall with the existing cables? When I tug on them I get zero movement on the other end
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 04-21-2013, 07:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 21
They are probably stapled to the studs inside the wall if they do not move. You are going to have to figure out a way to snake the HDMI cables.
post #3 of 5 Old 04-21-2013, 08:33 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
My only fear is pulling the existing cables out and having to cut drywall to get the new ones in. Is it alright to cut the clamps? I can see one of them and it looks like a tie similar to what may be on a bag of bread.
post #4 of 5 Old 04-21-2013, 10:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 25
If you are committed to running the HDMI cables through the walls come hell or high water, then you can take more risks than if you are not willing to absorb all possible costs. The likelihood of your coax being stapled to studs will depend on how old the house is and whether the cabling was installed during its construction.

If you are willing to risk the loss of functionality of the coax, then begin by cutting the connector off and attaching a pull string to the coax. In fact, to best avoid snags, you should make a tiny loop out of the cut coax's center conductor and thread a pull string through that, so it won't enlarge the circumference of the coax and won't form a snag point when pulled forward. You should also tape that junction over just in case you have to "punt" and pull the coax back and don't want it to snag in the other direction. Plus, by doing it that way, you'll wind up with two strings pullers, so if you are unsuccessful at pulling the HDMI cable through the wall, which can easily happen because of the HDMI connector, you will still have a remaining pull string which you can use to either pull additional pull strings or to pull an ordinary coax back.

If you find that you cannot pull a cable with an HDMI plug on it through the wall, you might be able to pull two Cat 5 wires and use an HDMI-to-Cat5 adapter pair.
post #5 of 5 Old 04-21-2013, 10:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 209
Don't forget that an HDMI connector is much bigger than a 3/8" piece of Coax and the holes the coax goes through may not be big enough for an HDMI connector.
Reply HDTV Technical

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page