Several turns in HDTV antenna ground wire? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 04-21-2013, 11:04 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I've found the corner of my back porch to be a good location for my new HDTV antenna. It seems like an unlikely spot for lightening (not far off the ground, many trees around, well below the roof), but I understand that I need to ground it nonetheless.

The electrical/cable entries into the house are around the corner, on the side. Can I run a ground wire (am I right that bare #10 copper wire is the right choice?) from the antenna mount, down the brick, into the dirt, around the corner, and tap into the same ground that the cable company is already using? This will involve several turns in the ground wire, including 90 degree turns, which I understand are not ideal. I would guess that the total length of the run would be 50-70 feet. I understand that I'll also want to ground the coax as it enters the house, again tapping into the existing ground setup that I see there.

I'd like to keep this as simple as possible, including doing this work by myself. Just wondering if this would be a suitable approach. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 04-21-2013, 12:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Click here for a thread on grounding. Several links and graphics in that thread.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 3 Old 04-21-2013, 02:15 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 27
A good rule of thumb is keep ground wires as short as possible 10 ft. Max and shorter than the shortest outlet. Remember that voltage is going to follow the path of least resistance.
Reply HDTV Technical

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page