Help! Everything is flickering - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 04-23-2013, 12:17 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I tried to diagnose the problem, but cannot figure it out. It is getting really frustrating.

I will try to explain as best as I can.

I have Bell Fibe Internet and TV. Both my internet and tv come from the same connection hub. It is also a modem and router in one. Image below. You can see where the cable connects at bottom.

Starting with the Bell tv. The cable connects to the back of the connection hub, and splits off and goes into the family room. The cable connects to the back of an HD PVR and then to my Samsung TV (720p Plasma) via HDMI. When I am watching sports or other shows, it flickers, now and then. It gets annoying. Sometimes it's a light flicker every 2 minutes, sometimes a flicker every 10 seconds.

I also have an Apple TV connected, and when I watch NHL highlights it flickers even more.

I thought the problem would be HDMI cables, so I tried like 4 different cables, both of my sources were flickering. Then I thought it was the Samsung TV, so I brought my Sharp TV (1080p LCD) from upstairs and connected it downstairs. Both sources were flickering as well.

I thought the flickering problem was only in the family room, so I took the Sharp TV back upstairs, and connected it to a different HD PVR with different HDMI cables, and it was also flickering. I took the Apple TV upstairs as well, and it was flickering too.

Now, the HD PVRs connect to the connection hub through the coaxial cables, so I would assume if 2 different PVRs are flickering that the problem would be the connection hub, so the problem is by Bell, not with anything I have set up.

But the Apple TV is connected to the internet with ethernet cables and it is also flickering. My internet is running perfectly fine at full speeds (25Mbps on speedtest.net). The Apple TV makes me think the problem is on my side, since the internet is working fine.

Please, can anyone help me fix this? Any and all suggestions will be appreciated. I really want to fix this!

Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 04-23-2013, 01:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked: 239
What kind of HDMI cables and how long are they? Have you tried to connect just one tv directly to the hub (nothing else connected to the hub) and see if that works?
post #3 of 4 Old 04-23-2013, 02:33 PM - Thread Starter

The HDMI cables I bought were from Tigerdirect. I replaced them with cheap dollar store ones. Then I replaced them with Monoprice ones.

I had WWE in HD on for a while and there were no flickers. When I change it to NBA HD, it begins flickering. It flickered yesterday when I watched NHL in HD, and I assume it will again tonight. I currently have NBA on downstairs and upstairs on both TVs, and both are flickering.

For the Apple TV, it didn't flicker when I watched trailers, but when I go to the NHL game centre and watch highlights then it flickers. I watched the one same highlight about 100 times changing the setup and checking for flickers. During the highlights, the flickers seem to happen at the same time. It also flickered when I played an HD movie through airplay.

I disconnected everything from the hub, and only have 1 cable, which goes through a couple splitters, and goes out to the whole house. I will try taking out all splitters, and having a direct connection to the pvr as you suggested.

This problem seems to be mostly affecting sports channels.
post #4 of 4 Old 04-24-2013, 12:32 PM - Thread Starter

I connected 1 cable directly to the PVR.

Still the same issue, but I think its only on sports channels.

The only thing that seems to be flickering is NHL and NBA games. They only flicker when they are showing any gameplay. No flicker during commercials, or when they show reporters talking.

Even when you watch highlights, when the TV hosts are shown talking there is no flicker, but once the highlights start, there is flicker.

I would assume this is an issue with Bell and not with me, but NHL highlights flicker on Apple TV as well. So, I would think this is an issue with NHL gamecenter/center ice and NBA, but I've been googling and can't seem to find anyone else with this problem.

Anyone else having similar problems?
Reply HDTV Technical

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page