Antenna help in Lawton, Oklahoma - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 04-25-2013, 10:07 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hi. I am just beginning the journey toward a cable/satellite (and bill) free and am looking into getting an antenna for reception. Here is my Fool TV report:

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=29&q=id%3d1dda5d99e240d6

I am interested in getting the nearer network channels, mostly to my south/southwest, but also those in the Oklahoma City area some 82 to 85 miles to the northeast.

I'm assuming I need a roof mount antenna, but brands and specific models would be much appreciated. Plus any and all hints on installation.

Thanks much!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 04-25-2013, 11:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 21
To get the local networks close by, you would need a VHF/UHF combo such as the Antennacraft HBU-33.

I think Oklahoma City is too far away. If you even wanted to attempt it, you would need a huge VHF/UHF antenna pointing east mounted on a high mast, with probably a good amplifier.
post #3 of 6 Old 07-03-2013, 01:24 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 11
I went with an Antennas Direct DB8 on a rooftop mount. It is more expensive than the DB4, but at $79 not that bad when you consider it will save me a lot of money over time. I am picking up the following channels:

KFDX (NBC)
KOCO (ABC)*
KAUZ (CBS)
KSWO (ABC)
KWTV (CBS)*
KETA (PBS)*
KJTL (FOX)
OETA (PBS)*
KERA (PBS)

*These channels are in Oklahoma City, 82+ miles away. KERA is in Dallas, some 160 miles away. Have no idea how that happened. There are a bunch of no-name channels I don't really care about, as well.

So, I'm pretty happy. But regionally, different stations on the same network carry different football games some times, so I would like to do even better with the OKC channels, particularly networks. Questions:

1. Even though I am doing pretty well, do you think a preamplifier would help pick up additional channels in OKC? I mean, the thing seems to be bi-directional, somewhat, since the two cities (Wichita Falls and Oklahoma City) are almost in opposite directions.

2. Would turning the antenna in the direction of OKC (up to 85 miles away) pick up more of those channels, and still pick up the WF channels (55 miles or less)?

3. I did think to get a cable with a ground wire and have hooked it under one of the bolts on the base of the rooftop antenna mast. This evening I will bury a grounding rod and connect to that (we are expecting thunderstorms late tonight). Will that be enough, or do I need to get a special attachment to mount on the mast?
post #4 of 6 Old 07-03-2013, 04:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 73
You're likely picking up some of those stations via local translators. You'd have to dig into it deeper to know for certain,
post #5 of 6 Old 07-07-2013, 08:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Yes, you have a whole load of local translator stations that are probably retransmitting the remote stations, so improving the antenna won't get you any more. look at the tvfool report, you will see lots of stations with "strange" callsigns less than 10 miles away. You would need to research each of these transmitters to find out what channel they are retransmitting. For example, K36AB-D retransmits the PBS station,
post #6 of 6 Old 07-10-2013, 12:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by texasbrit View Post

Yes, you have a whole load of local translator stations that are probably retransmitting the remote stations, so improving the antenna won't get you any more. look at the tvfool report, you will see lots of stations with "strange" callsigns less than 10 miles away. You would need to research each of these transmitters to find out what channel they are retransmitting. For example, K36AB-D retransmits the PBS station,

The best way to research is to use www.rabbitears.info. Here is a link to the results for your zipcode: http://www.rabbitears.info/search.php?request=zip_search&zipcode=73501&miles=60&address=&lat=&lon=&dbtype=dBm&height=

Simply click on the callsign and rabbitears.info will show you the network affiliation for the main channel and subchannels.

Good luck!
Reply HDTV Technical

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page