HD signal is gone? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 04-25-2013, 08:34 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Tis is really confusing and I'm a bit of a novice. I am no longer getting HD reception from difference devices. Here's my setup:

- fits HDTV cable box
- Samsung blu ray home theater
- Vizio HDTV
- Xbox 360

Fits comes in via coax, then out via HDMI to the blu ray. Blu ray goes out to Vizo TV via HDMI. Xbox comes into blue ray via HDMI.

First a few weeks ago I just stopped getting video. I could hear but no video signal. So assumed it was the blu ray and disconnected it. Now it's happening with fits cable. I get full picture and sound when I'm viewing nonHD channels. But as soon as I go to an HD channel I get video but no sound.
Ad my Xbox 360 works fine. But I think that's only 780 resolution or something.

I switched around my HDMI cables. Could they all be bad? Or could multiple devices be broken?

I just don't know where to start here.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-26-2013, 10:09 AM

Liked: 89
First, don't panic. The odds are pretty good that this is a single problem.

If I understand correctly, the Xbox 360 is working fine. 720p is indeed high definition (there is no such thing as a 780 HD standard).

To troubleshoot the rest, with the power off take the HDMI connector from the Blu-Ray to the Vizio directly. Do not connect the Samsung home theater device. Turn power back on and select the correct input on your Vizio. What does the TV say is the resolution? (it will usually be on screen for a few seconds). If that doesn't work, power off and then try the XBox 360 with the same cable direct to the Vizio. Power back on and select the correct input. Since the XBox 360 is working then you should be able to get a picture.

Let us know the results of the trouble-shooting. Also how long are the HDMI cables?

When in doubt, simplify and try to test only a single device at a time (or in this case two devices instead of three).
Old 04-26-2013, 04:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 14
[QUOTEfits HDTV cable box][/QUOTE]

What is this?
Old 04-27-2013, 10:35 AM - Thread Starter

Ok will give that a try. First tho I'll point out that my blu ray and home theater are on device. Also my cables are various lengths. One is 3' one is 6' and one like 15'. I'll conduct the test with the cable that's working from the Xbox.

Rcbridge, sorry the auto correct changed "fios" to "fits"! I have fios TV.

Thanks for your help. Be back soon.
Old 04-30-2013, 07:50 PM - Thread Starter

Ok here's what happened and what I learned...

I did what was suggested above. Turned everything off. Connected the blu ray home theater directly to HDTV HDMI input. When I turned it on it said "receiving data..." For a few seconds, as expected. But then nothing except a blue screen that says no signal. This is what's been happening. So....

I've made some progress with my fios HDTV cable box. "Sometimes" it works with the hd signal. Most times only the standard channels work and the hd channels show video only, no sound. But I figured out a pattern. If i leave it on an hd channel (silent with video only) and then shut off the fios box and disconnect the HDMI for a few secs, then reconnect HDMI and turn in the fios box, the hd channel works fine! Then after moving around the channels a bit using the remote I eventually lose hd sound. Then only standard channels work fine.

This is really strange. Any ideas?
Old 04-30-2013, 07:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 69
If it happens on multiple components using DIFFERENT (swapped) cables to DIFFERENT HDMI I/F's on HDTV, then it's probably your HDTV....or ALL of your HDMI cables are defective...so final test is to buy/borrow another KNOWN working HDMI cable.
Old 05-01-2013, 06:33 AM

Liked: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryher View Post

Ok here's what happened and what I learned...

I did what was suggested above. Turned everything off. Connected the blu ray home theater directly to HDTV HDMI input. When I turned it on it said "receiving data..." For a few seconds, as expected. But then nothing except a blue screen that says no signal. This is what's been happening. So....

I've made some progress with my fios HDTV cable box. "Sometimes" it works with the hd signal. Most times only the standard channels work and the hd channels show video only, no sound. But I figured out a pattern. If i leave it on an hd channel (silent with video only) and then shut off the fios box and disconnect the HDMI for a few secs, then reconnect HDMI and turn in the fios box, the hd channel works fine! Then after moving around the channels a bit using the remote I eventually lose hd sound. Then only standard channels work fine.

This is really strange. Any ideas?

OK. That makes some sense.

I think you're getting bit errors likely causes by one of your HDMI cables. Assuming that you are using "native" for the resolution, when you go to a standard definition picture, you are using much less bandwidth than when you run a high definition picture. Think of your HDMI cable as a pipe and the digital information in the pipe as water. The pipe is only a certain size. When you run standard definition, all of the water flow can move through the pipe without a problem. When you go to high definition there is much more water per second flowing through the pipe and your pipe is not big enough to handle all that water flow, so it backs up.

I suspect that it is the 15' (or so) cable. Unfortunately some of the older longer cables have manufacturing issues. So, look for a cable that is less than 15' that is listed as "High Speed". The High Speed wording is the key. You should not need a High Speed cable for FIOS but it won't hurt and you can get one for less than $15 (check Monoprice if you have problems finding one). Remember, it must say "High Speed" on the advertising.

To confirm the theory will take a little work. What I'd like you to do is to temporarily move the FIOS to the TV or the TV to the FIOS so that you are only using one of the shorter cables. Try first with just the 6' cable. If everything works OK, then stop. If not, try the 3' cable.

Also disable anything on the TV or FIOS menu related to "Deep Color" - that option eats bandwidth for no real world gain. Also change your resolution on the FIOS box to 1080i temporarily. You may find that even with the 15' cable by changing those settings your problem just might go away. I don't think it is your TV's HDMI ports since I can't see the TV working and then not working and then working again without powering off the TV unless something was very loose or there was some type of strange heat issue.

Finally, for anyone reading in the future, there is a section of the AVSForum for HDMI issues. It's down towards the bottom of the forum list ("HDMI Q&A"). There are people there who, while we may not like HDMI, have a good understanding of how it works.
Old 05-27-2013, 10:26 AM - Thread Starter

Ok first thank you all for your help. A 20 min exercise that's taken me over a month to do :-) but. I'm done. And I've pinpointed the problem best of all!!!mfirst I confirmed my HDMI cables were high speed. I'm using these ( http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001MZXUI6/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i01?ie=UTF8&psc=1). Then i did what was suggested above and tried different components using different cables on a different HD TV. Everything worked fine on the different tv!

So my HDTV is the problem. All components and cables seem to be sending good signals. But my HDTV does this:

1) no video or sound from my blu ray home theater system. I confirmed it all works on the other tv using the same cables. But nothing on the TV in question.

2) I can get hd video and sound from my hd fios cable box and Xbox....if I do this: toggle the input source on the tv away from HDMI and then back to HDmi. Then it will work fine until I do something like change the channel.

So sounds like just something gone bad with my tv and nothing input can do. Glad it's not my 1yr old blu ray system I guess.

Thanks so much for the help and guidance!