Adding TV guide to OTA TV - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 18 Old 04-28-2013, 09:16 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
How can I add a tv guide to my OTA HD antenna on my HD TV?

I don't need a DVR or anything fancy, just want to add a TV guide to my exciting setup.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 04-28-2013, 09:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked: 242
Unless one of your local digital stations has one, I don't think you'll be able to get a TV Guide per se. There used to be TVGOS but I don't think they are around anymore. I know that one of our local digital stations has one (What's On) that lists all of the OTA stations that are broadcast for our area but it only lists out the next 90 minutes with no scanning or search feature. I just rely on the TV Guide that comes in our Sunday paper for the upcoming week.
post #3 of 18 Old 04-28-2013, 10:16 AM

Liked: 22
If you're talking about the TV Guide® brand service, then probably no. But OTA stations do send listings of upcoming shows in a data stream. If you're not getting it already, you'll need to buy a TV or ATSC receiver box that supports PSIP EPG data display.

You get what you pay for.  For professional advice, pay the professional rate.
post #4 of 18 Old 04-28-2013, 10:35 AM - Thread Starter

What ATSC receiver box would you recommend?
post #5 of 18 Old 04-28-2013, 11:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked: 242
Speed Daemon is correct, but not all digital stations may give you an accurate listing so YMMV. The ATSC tuner of our HDTV will list what is currently on, and the length of time, but that's it. When we had an LG HDTV STB (for our old HD-Ready CRT), then listing was more complete as to what was on, what had been on, and what was next, but that was a few years ago.I think most of the STBs nowadays include DVRs so you may have to Google around for one that will suit your needs.
Speed Daemon likes this.
post #6 of 18 Old 04-28-2013, 11:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Pylot View Post

Speed Daemon is correct, but not all digital stations may give you an accurate listing so YMMV..

FCC rules require stations to provide a minimum of 12 hours of EPG, and it is "supposed" to be accurate. However, no such requirement nor thought was given to requiring MFG's to properly implement it in receivers.rolleyes.gif
So, as you say, YMMV..it's mostly a crap shoot, and implementation is pretty pathetic overall.

Bob

The views expressed here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of the FOX,ABC,CBS,or CW Networks,MeTv, my employer or its parent company. Nor my wife for that matter!
post #7 of 18 Old 04-28-2013, 02:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Using a online service like Zap2it.com or TitanTV is probably the easiest option. Some of the older CECBs had nice guides but they are kind of old now and not a lot had a full guide(the CM-7000 had a full guide).
Some older TVs had a full PSIP guide, Vizio TVs did but I don't think the newer ones do. As Bob said PSIP is kind of spotty in general, online services while not as convenient are a much better source than PSIP.
post #8 of 18 Old 04-28-2013, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EpicVegas View Post

What ATSC receiver box would you recommend?
That really depends on your needs. My HD TV sets show only the current program and the next one. I bought a cheap DVR, a DigitalStream DPH-100R, that relies completely on the PSIP EPG data for its program guide. It works. OTOH I have a couple of TiVo boxes that cost a lot more, require a subscription, and get their program guide data from Tribune Media Services, as most DVR products in the US do. While the TiVo boxes give me a lot more data, it is also notoriously inaccurate. So what Otto Pylot wrote is on the money. Another problem with PSIP is that you have to be tuned into the channel to get the program information.

I can't recommend any tuner-only products. I found the iview 3500STB on Amazon.com, but can't vouch for it.

I bought that DPH-100R to take with me when I visit my mother who's in an elder care facility with a campus MATV system. They get OTA TV from a master antenna, and 30 or so SD channels from a commercial (like you'd find in a hotel) DirecTV mainframe receiver. (it has plug-in cards for each channel.) I'll be able to get PSIP data to record the OTA channels, but since the analog channels don't have any embedded EPG data I'll use Zap2It to fill in the holes. It sounds complicated, but IME this will probably be the easiest to use in this particular situation.

Although Zap2It is owned and operated by Tribune Media services, ans should in theory have the same data as any TMS service, the TiVo EPG doesn't distinguish between analog channel 5 and digital channel 5.1, which makes a TiVo useless (and explains why I bought the new box) at this particular location. At home I rely mostly on my TiVo boxes for all TV viewing and recording. It's been a major investment, but a worthwhile one for me.

Since you're on OTA and (I presume) not cable, and don't want DVR functionality, the only thing I can think of is to shop carefully for a new TV set. Most tuner-only products are made to retrofit old NTSC televisions so they can receive DTV, and wouldn't be compatible with HDTV. SiliconDust makes HD tuners, but they only connect to a computer over a computer network. I'd make sure that whatever you get has a HDMI socket on the back. That's some guarantee that you'll get HD out.

post #9 of 18 Old 04-28-2013, 04:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed Daemon View Post

I can't recommend any tuner-only products. I found the iview 3500STB on Amazon.com, but can't vouch for it.
I briefly thought of the iView but it kind of has a bug with it's guide, it only displays 1 page of info no matter how much the station sends out. It also has a bad habit of locking up when accessing the guide. It's a neat little HD tuner/DVR(with USB device) but I would not suggest it for the guide.
post #10 of 18 Old 04-29-2013, 06:45 AM

It's a shame that very few if any manufacturers take full advantage of the PSIP guide info out there. With RAM prices being as low as they are (and even HDD storage on DVR products) and two or more tuners, it's feasible to have a tuner or DVR product that periodically scans every ATSC and/or ClearQAM channel and record the EPG data in order to make a more robust program guide.

I for one have become highly disenchanted with the Tribune Corp. monopoly on program guide data, and think it's a shame that we have good, authoritative and free data available to us, but no good way to compile it.

post #11 of 18 Old 04-29-2013, 07:43 AM

Liked: 16
If you have any use for a 7" portable tv, the RCA KPTM70R, sold at Radio Shack, has a decent EPG. And what sets it apart is it has 6 lines of text for program description. They sometimes have it on sale for $100. Like most cheap digital stuff, it has a rather clunky OS, intermittant channel recall, doesn't always respond instantly to remote commands, etc. But it has a good picture and tuner.
post #12 of 18 Old 04-29-2013, 08:04 AM

Liked: 26
TiVo will give u guide and DVR

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

post #13 of 18 Old 04-29-2013, 08:14 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 63
for $99, boxee cloud dvr (http://www.boxee.tv/) will give you free guide data for your OTA channels. it also does netflix, vudu, youtube and others. it will also play local files from your network or attached usb. you dont have to purchase the dvr option if you dont want to.

so you are aware, this thing could be buggy for some of the other higher functions.

OTA | Netflix | Hulu+ | Amazon Prime | MLB.tv & MLS Live with
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #14 of 18 Old 04-29-2013, 10:01 AM - Thread Starter

Would i need a $99 boxee at each tv?
post #15 of 18 Old 04-29-2013, 10:03 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EpicVegas View Post

Would i need a $99 boxee at each tv?

yes, each tv will need one. the coax from the antenna goes into the boxee, then you will need an hdmi (it only has hdmi) cable to the tv.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #16 of 18 Old 04-29-2013, 10:29 AM

Does the Boxee box cache EPG data from various channels, so it can be displayed on a grid like my TiVo does?

post #17 of 18 Old 04-29-2013, 10:39 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed Daemon View Post

Does the Boxee box cache EPG data from various channels, so it can be displayed on a grid like my TiVo does?

boxee licenses guide data from Tribune (free to the user) and displays it like this:

Note: the boxee needs to be connected to the internet to get EPG, actually, it needs it to operate.
Speed Daemon likes this.

post #18 of 18 Old 04-29-2013, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aero 1 View Post

boxee licenses guide data from Tribune ... the boxee needs to be connected to the internet to get EPG, actually, it needs it to operate.
Thanks! So it's more or less the same data that I get on my TiVo.

Unfortunately some of the places where I stay don't have Internet.

Reply HDTV Technical

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page