AVS Forum banner

Splitting and HDMI cable from an HD Cable box

4K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  Noalkain 
#1 ·
Hi,

I have a question regarding an HDMI splitter.

Here is my setup : In the basement, a/v receiver, cable box HDTV, a projector and on the first floor a TV.

I want to split the HDMI signal from my HDTV cablebox to my projector and TV. I know I'll have to watch the same thing on both, but will it work ? And how will I change channels on the TV if it use an infrared remote ?

Thanks in advance !

Noalkain

#3 ·
You need to research ir extenders or repeaters. That would be one option.

You may also want to look at a slingbox it might be more expensive than the IR route but it will interface with a tablet or smart phone to allow you to change channels. Plus you will also get remote viewing options.

#4 ·

Quote:
I know I'll have to watch the same thing on both, but will it work ?

Should work just fine, however you may need an amplified splitter, like one from here:

http://www.monoprice.com/products/subdepartment.asp?c_id=104&cp_id=10113

Another solution is to run one device on hdmi, and the other on Component. If your cable box has both outputs that is.
Quote:
And how will I change channels on the TV if it use an infrared remote ?

Umm, huh? You don't change channels on the tv, you change them on the cable box. And you point the remote at it...

#6 ·

Quote:
Another solution is to run one device on hdmi, and the other on Component. If your cable box has both outputs that is.

I can have two output on the same Cable box working at the same time ? Because it does have HDMI and component.

Quote:
Umm, huh? You don't change channels on the tv, you change them on the cable box. And you point the remote at it...

Yeah but the TV is on the first floor and the Cable box in the basement ! :p

I already bought this since the cable box, a/v receiver, projector etc. will be in a closet in the basement.
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/220542729244?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649#ht_1906wt_1332

But im not sure how the IR repeaters works. To what do I plug it ?

#9 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.