HDMI Cable Only Works in One Direction? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 04-30-2013, 09:31 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm wondering if anyone has seen this before. I recently unplugged my 35 ft. HDMI cable from its source (a PS3) and upon plugging it back in it ceased to provide any display to my TV at all. A little testing with another cable showed me that both my TV and Ps3 were still working. It appeared the cable was dead.

I did a few more tests and upon determining it was dead I pulled it out of the wall. At the last moment I decided to try it once more and was shocked that it worked...so I flipped it around and it ceased to work again.

So basically I can only use this HDMI cable if I plug it in in the opposite direction from which it was previously used (with the PS3 end now in the TV).

How is this possible? It seems if one end died then it would be useless no matter how it was connected? How can the "bad" end still work by flipping it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-30-2013, 11:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 613 Post(s)
Liked: 464
Is it a passive cable (consisting of just wires and connectors) or an active cable which includes HDMI amplifiers? Monoprice's Redmere cables are active. Active cables are directional.

If you have a passive cable, I think it's likely that it has an intermittent connection. Stress on one end or the other would cause it to no longer pass a signal. A broken wire in the middle of the cable is another possibility. It'd make intermittent contact depending on how the cable is bent.

Selden

Marantz SR7009/7.1.4/FH+TM/DefTech PM1000/LCR+TM amped
Old 04-30-2013, 03:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked: 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by Selden Ball View Post

Is it a passive cable (consisting of just wires and connectors) or an active cable which includes HDMI amplifiers? Monoprice's Redmere cables are active. Active cables are directional.

If you have a passive cable, I think it's likely that it has an intermittent connection. Stress on one end or the other would cause it to no longer pass a signal. A broken wire in the middle of the cable is another possibility. It'd make intermittent contact depending on how the cable is bent.
I agree with your last part but have a question on your first. I have a couple redmere cables and wonder where in the heck they could put a amplifier? I mean the cable ends are almost as tiny as the thin cable, not much bigger than the actual HDMI connector.
I also found out a odd thing with my redmere HDMI cable. I purchased a iPhone 30 pin to HDMI cable(unpowered and not Apple brand) and noted that it would occasionally cut out(both sound and picture, using a decent quality HDMI cable). On a lark I tried the redmere cable(which looked quite nice in the Apple white) and low and behold I got a perfect picture, no cutting out. Any thoughts on that? Could the redmere cable actually make the HDMI signal stronger than it's input?
Old 04-30-2013, 05:05 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

It most definitely only works when used in one direction no matter how I bend or manipulate the cable. It was working fine and then I unplugged it and then plugged it back in when this happened (both devices were off when I did this). I can reproduce the "one direction" at any time and both ends feel firm in their sockets when plugged in. I even tried using an old HDMI splitter I had so I could test them while plugged into a different port. Same issue.

I don't know if my cable is active but I'm guessing since it previously worked in the other direction for years it's not. This is it: http://www.atlona.com/10M-33FT-ATLONA-FLAT-HDMI-CABLE-WHITE-COLOR.html
Old 04-30-2013, 07:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Altona cable is PASSIVE (I have 10-ft cables), otherwise they would exclaim how much better it was with active amplifiers. You probably have a poor connection in either the cable or the port, which comes and goes as you change ends. Suggest you try a new cable and hope it isn't the port connector.
Old 05-01-2013, 03:13 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by holl_ands View Post

Altona cable is PASSIVE (I have 10-ft cables), otherwise they would exclaim how much better it was with active amplifiers. You probably have a poor connection in either the cable or the port, which comes and goes as you change ends. Suggest you try a new cable and hope it isn't the port connector.

I've already tried other cables that work fine. The port connectors appear to be totally OK. I've tried about 6 different cables in addition to routing the signal through an HDMI splitter and 4/1 unit so I can see if it was the port. The only constant is that the cable only works in one direction.

Oh well, I will just chalk it up to one of those weird things I'll never understand.
Old 05-01-2013, 10:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 262
35' is almost too long for a passive HDMI cable. High Speed HDMI cables are certified for up to about 25'. As stated above, Redmere cables are uni-directional because of the chipset they have at the sink end (tv). I believe the chipset draws power from the sink end so the cables can be much longer than High Speed cables and the wire gauge can be a lot smaller as well.
Old 05-01-2013, 11:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Pylot View Post

35' is almost too long for a passive HDMI cable.
Well, you will have a hard time finding one certified high speed. But I think it is only a problem for a few folks. 1080p60 2D is not a problem at that length with a decent cable, nor 1080p24 3D. That takes care of most of us, so far.
Old 05-01-2013, 03:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 613 Post(s)
Liked: 464
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjeff View Post

Quote:

I agree with your last part but have a question on your first. I have a couple redmere cables and wonder where in the heck they could put a amplifier? I mean the cable ends are almost as tiny as the thin cable, not much bigger than the actual HDMI connector.
I also found out a odd thing with my redmere HDMI cable. I purchased a iPhone 30 pin to HDMI cable(unpowered and not Apple brand) and noted that it would occasionally cut out(both sound and picture, using a decent quality HDMI cable). On a lark I tried the redmere cable(which looked quite nice in the Apple white) and low and behold I got a perfect picture, no cutting out. Any thoughts on that? Could the redmere cable actually make the HDMI signal stronger than it's input?

Well, Redmere certainly claims they're active. See http://www.redmere.com/
I suspect it's only one tiny chip which fits easily in the connector housing. It includes an amplifier which is designed to make a small input signal stronger.

Selden

Marantz SR7009/7.1.4/FH+TM/DefTech PM1000/LCR+TM amped
Old 05-01-2013, 07:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked: 249
CREATOR: gd-jpeg v1.0 (using IJG JPEG v62), quality = 90
Does it work only in the direction of the arrow?
Old 05-02-2013, 12:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 89
Quote:

Well, Redmere certainly claims they're active...
I suspect it's only one tiny chip which fits easily in the connector housing. It includes an amplifier which is designed to make a small input signal stronger.
Yes, the Redmere technology is contained in a small chip in the sink end connector. It isn't an amplifier in the simple sense. It compensates for high frequency rolloff and skew.
Old 05-02-2013, 05:27 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by olyteddy View Post

CREATOR: gd-jpeg v1.0 (using IJG JPEG v62), quality = 90
Does it work only in the direction of the arrow?

That arrow is on both ends, in that picture the opposite side of the connector is shown (one says "Atlona" and the other "HDMI"). Like I said, it worked in either direction for years and now it doesn't. So strange. It's not an expensive cable so I can deal with it but running it through the wall again is going to be irritating.

My thought is that something shorted when I plugged it in. Both devices were completely off and the PS3 was even unplugged at the time, but I can't come up with anything else.
Old 05-02-2013, 05:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked: 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colm View Post

Yes, the Redmere technology is contained in a small chip in the sink end connector. It isn't an amplifier in the simple sense. It compensates for high frequency rolloff and skew.
All I know is with my new little Apple 30 pin to HDMI connector it was cutting out occasionally with a standard decent HDMI cable but as soon as I tried my redmere HDMI cable it's been rock solid smile.gif Luckily I had just ordered the redmere cable along with some other things from Monoprice for a spare and happened to try it, otherwise I may have returned the Apple converter as being defective. As it is now it's kind of a cool device and the redmere cable looks quite good with it.