hughes platinum hirde8 and jvc hd40000 problems - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 04-30-2013, 11:33 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Am I the only guy in the USA who:
1) is still watching DTV OTA with an old unsubscribed hughes DTV box?
2) paid out $$$ to have it modified to record HDTV via firewire to a JVC DTheater HD VCR?
3) suddenly found that the hughes had stopped loading the daily guide from a DTV satellite even though I had long since ceased subscribing to DTV?
If you are in the same club, maybe you can help me. Problem is that the JVC can not be taught to perform timed recording from the I-link source which is where the HD signal appears; the only way it worked (and it did work for several years) was to tell the Hughes box to send a record pulse on its little IR emitter taped to front of JVC at the start of the show. Problem is that with guide info now missing from the satellite, the box does not know what time it is. Is there any work around for this? Or is there a way to get this box to find a satellite (which it used to do) to get just the time of day info so I can regain the ability to start and stop a recording in my absence? Thank you all. --Tom in Tucson
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 04-30-2013, 12:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 163
Radio Shack used to sell a learning remote style IR timer that could put a VCR or whatever in record at a specific time.

FWEIW, you need to get off that unsupported technology. Go to www.digitalconnection.com. They have state of the art OTA recording cards for HTPCs that are quite reasonable. With a firewire card and some freeware you can even transfer the DVHS recordings to disk.

You have had a great run with DVHS. I thought I was the last holdout when I finally went to disk based in 2011.

Glimmie's HT Page
Being redone - comming soon!

post #3 of 10 Old 04-30-2013, 04:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 51
For many years now, I've been using my JVC HMDH40000U D-VHS Hi-Def Recorder to save away various Cable programs (mostly concerts). Since the cable box usually requires a reboot prior to each recording, I very rarely use the timer function in my old Sony RM-VL1000 R/C to initiate the recording (correcting the inaccurate TOD nearly every time). Some of the other Sony R/C devices have a timer capability....look to make sure that you can actually enter the Time-Of-Day. BTW: I can enter TOD into my Harmony ONE, but it won't issue timer driven commands.

There are very few Programmable R/C Units that support a timer initiated Programmable RECORD signal....good luck trying to find a NEW one for under $300...affordable ones are usually found used. Search for "timer" and "timers" at fol. website:
http://www.remotecentral.com

You might also want to investigate using a Smart Phone or iTouch with TV R/C Apps that might be capable of turning devices on (or executing a RECORD command):
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1084846/iphone-ipod-touch-remote-apps
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1261017/any-interest-in-an-android-app-for-remote-control
post #4 of 10 Old 04-30-2013, 05:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Back in 2010, the equipment mfrs convinced the FCC to change the (formerly mandatory) IEEE-1394 (Firewire) Interface requirements to be superseded by an "Industry Standard, IP Based" link protocol (but didn't specify any other details...most people thought it was simply Ethernet or WiFi extension of E-N...with the same DTCP Copy Protect functionality). Just a few months ago, per TiVo request, the FCC "clarified" the rules to indicate that the protocol was to be something that the DLNA Standards Committee is still working on (whatever THAT may become, whenever in the future, since Non-Disclosure Agreements are invoked):
http://hraunfoss.fcc.gov/edocs_public/attachmatch/DA-10-1094A1.pdf
http://transition.fcc.gov/Daily_Releases/Daily_Business/2012/db1128/DA-12-1910A1.pdf

But I have yet to see any Cable, Sat or other equipment claiming to have actually IMPLEMENTED this feature (as they drag their feet ever so slowly.....). Nevertheless, I'm expecting the Cable systems might finally KILL the IEEE-1394 I/F feature in the (probably) near future, as they enable the DLNA replacement...which MIGHT actually make it EASIER to record via PC/Mac if they actually commit to finally debugging this new I/F. We shall see.....

FYI: Hauppauge makes a HD PVR that records COMPONENT VIDEO I/F to DVD Recorder in a suitably equipped PC:
http://www.hauppauge.com/site/products/data_hdpvr.html
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1015617/hauppauge-wintv-hd-pvr-h-264-screenshot
and the HD PVR2:
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1451246/hauppauge-hd-pvr2
post #5 of 10 Old 05-01-2013, 03:02 PM - Thread Starter

So thank you for the ideas on working around this. Between the lines, I am sensing that you are saying the box itself is obsolete being MPEG2 and not 4? Can anyone say definitively whether or not DirecTV still "supports" this old box? When I call them up, they hang up on me when I they find out I don't have a current account with them. If they have turned off all transmissions that this old E8 understands, that would explain a lot but I would like to hear that as a clear statement from somebody who knows the facts. If they have not turned off those transmissions, then maybe my box has a fault that could be fixed. --Tom
post #6 of 10 Old 05-01-2013, 03:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 163
1) It's highly likely they turned off any satellite commands for that old box.

2) You will not be able to get it repaired. If you had a DirecTV account they would have replaced the box long ago.

Since all you want to do is record OTA, there are much better solutions out there than using a hacked and obsolete STB.

Glimmie's HT Page
Being redone - comming soon!

post #7 of 10 Old 05-02-2013, 08:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 23
I believe that old Hughes receiver uses the old MPG guide data from DirecTV. DirecTV is in the process of shutting down that guide data all around the country, market by market. I believe they hope to have it completely shut down by the end of the year. It sounds like you live in a market that just had it shut down recently.

If you were still a DirecTV customer they would have called/emailed you to let you know about that change and would have swapped out your receiver with a replacement that uses the newer APG guide data for free without any commitment. But, you aren't a subscriber so they had no reason to let you know. Sorry to tell you but your receiver is now pretty much worthless.

Here are a couple threads at DBSTalk.com if you want to read more about it.
http://www.dbstalk.com/topic/199243-old-legacy-receivers/
http://www.dbstalk.com/topic/203065-did-directv-just-shut-down-the-old-program-guide/
post #8 of 10 Old 05-04-2013, 07:39 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you to those who provided solid information and well, thanks a lot for the lectures from others. Just what I need. This receiver which I own outright was bought in a retail store in 2004 (I think) as the only method of receiving HD OTA at the time which was brand new in my town. To just toss it in the dumpster is unconscionable; as it is equally unconscionable for the so-called providers of programming to purposely render perfectly good equipment obsolete to push their profit agenda. The best idea anyone had was to get a programmable external remote device to make the JVC 40000 start recording at a specific time stored in the remote. I will work on that. The one piece of information I really want and still don't have is what satellite and transponder is the guide on assuming it might still be on? I was hoping to re-point my dish (it is out of position) and tune it manually to that channel. I did read the threads on DBS but at least one of those people had a different problem which seems to have gotten corrected. When I try to initialize the dish and receiver, it fails the switch configure test which makes me wonder if something internal is the problem?
post #9 of 10 Old 05-06-2013, 11:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 23
I don't think it would be worth messing with the dish to try to repoint it at anything because like I mentioned it won't be there much longer anyway if it does still happen to be there right now. If you insist on trying I'm sure the information can be found at DBSTalk.com. I don't know for sure which satellite it would be on but I'm guessing probably either the one at 101° or 119°. There are also a few threads there about how to aim a dish.

I'm sorry if you don't like it, but I understand why DirecTV is doing this, and it's not to push some kind of agenda. Right now they are sending out two different sets of guide data. The old MPG data that your box uses is only used by really old devices, and there aren't that many of them left out there in customer's homes. So DirecTV wants to get rid of that old MPG guide data so that bandwidth can be used for other stuff like their new APG guide data, or more SD channels, etc. So they are contacting their customers who are still using these old devices and upgrading them to newer models that use the APG guide data for free and without any kind of commitment. Once they get everyone on newer equipment they will completely remove the MPG guide data and use that bandwidth for something else.

I don't see why you think DirecTV should keep around the old MPG guide data for you and others like you that are no longer their customers. Why should they continue spending their money and using their resources to provide you with a service that you pay nothing for, rather than using their time and resources to improve their service for their paying customers?
post #10 of 10 Old 05-06-2013, 03:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glimmie View Post

You have had a great run with DVHS. I thought I was the last holdout when I finally went to disk based in 2011.

Nope-I use firewire every day. In fact I actually have source code implementations which allows a mac to present itself on the firewire network as either a hard disc recorder (AVHDD - disc subunit) or a disc subunit controller which allows the mac to control a hard disc recorder type hardware device. All are coded in c++ and which uses apple's really nice avcvideoservices framework. I have been working on an XBMC add on which exposes the virtual AVHDD and a firewire based tuner to the XBMC front end.

So, you are not the last one using firewire.

I also use my hdhomerun's daily, so.....
Reply HDTV Technical

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page