Power Conditioners?! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 05-07-2013, 06:25 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Hey guys I'm getting into a new 55 inch LED (not sure which one yet) and I ave my PS3, Bower and Wilkens soundbar along with a reciever etc all in my home theater setup.

I invested in a Panamax MR4300 power conditioner/power management system about 2 months ago. My new tv's price point is going to be right around 3000 dollars and I'm wondering if my Panamax MR4300 is sufficient enough to not only condition my power a little but protect my 6000 dollar man cave investment.

The power in my area is notoriously bad which is why I made the investment in the first place but as the price of my new tv continues to rise (always seems to be that way) I'm becoming nervous that the MR4300 isn't sufficient.

Everyone I have spoken to seems to think Panamax is among the best and the MR4300 is is plenty of protection/conditioning considering I'm not running any surround sounds, amps etc. Just tv and soundbar are the primary units.

Thanks guys! I look forward to reading your input.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 05-07-2013, 07:09 PM - Thread Starter

To add to that guys do I need to be as worried about protecting my LAN connection/Coax from Directv as I do the power sources?

I went ahead and threw my LAN into my older Monster power strip since I usually hard wire my tv's with Ethernet but my Coax doesn't have any protection (that I have done on my end). It is grounded outside but that's it.
post #3 of 6 Old 05-16-2013, 06:45 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Could check out the manual.

This is what the website says.
"Maximum Current Rating 15A (1800W)"

So if you are within the threshold, should be golden.

Get a wattage reader and just add to it until it nears its limit. Personally I'd want to stay a decent amount away from the maximum rating just to feel better about it not over heating and possibly failing.
post #4 of 6 Old 05-20-2013, 03:02 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Look into adding a quality UPS to your system as well. It's tempting to go with the cheaper ones, but stick with one like this that has sine wave output.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002MZW5KE

You can use the Panamax for coax and LAN protection.
The specs state "Frequency Range 0 MHz - 2.2 GHz" for the universal coax protection. So should work fine with satellite.
post #5 of 6 Old 05-21-2013, 12:46 PM - Thread Starter

CaptainVideo,

I know the 5300 has the LAN inputs however when I connected my cables to it It DRAMATICALLY slowed my speed down. I mean by 30mbps. Thar's huge when I'm only paying for 40. I contacted Panamax and they seem to think I got a bunk until so I'm going to exchange it tomorrow but I have to say I'm not optimistic.

What's the benefit of a UPS other than when the power goes out it covers me? Is it more of a convenience thing than it is a protection thing?
post #6 of 6 Old 05-21-2013, 12:47 PM - Thread Starter

Oh I forgot to mention I traded in my 4300 for the 5300 and I've had nothing but issues with it.

Speed issues with my LAN running through it and pixalation from the coax running into it. I'm going to swap it out and see if that helps.

If That doesn't solve the issue is there another unit/brand everyone likes?
Reply HDTV Technical

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page