AVS Forum

AVS Forum (http://www.avsforum.com/forum/)
-   HDTV Technical (http://www.avsforum.com/forum/25-hdtv-technical/)
-   -   Cable provider no longer broadcasting HD - QAM (http://www.avsforum.com/forum/25-hdtv-technical/1472917-cable-provider-no-longer-broadcasting-hd-qam.html)

MartyNg 05-15-2013 06:31 PM

I subscribe to my local Time Warner's "basic" package for $13/month or so. This includes channels 2-14 in standard definition, and a handful of HD versions of those stations. I have no special equipment - the coax plugs right into all of my TVs. These HD stations have come in fine for quite a while for myself and others that have TVs with a QAM tuner. A few days ago, people stopped receiving all of these HD stations.

I have not contacted Time Warner yet, but I spoke with people who have. Some were told to use an antenna to receive HD, and another person was shipped a DTA. (Isn't a DTA worthless if you have a QAM tuner?)
My understanding was that a QAM tuner was all I needed and I would continue to receive the HD channels. I didn't think this was something Time Warner could arbitrarily take away.

replayrob 05-15-2013 06:46 PM

Some time back- the cable co's in and around NYC got a waiver from the FCC allowing them to encrypt all the channels they carry-even the OTA loal channels. They sited high incidences of theft of service in NYC and it's surrounding areas- the FCC agreed and granted them permission to encrypt everything. Out on the Island- Cablevision isn't allowed to encrypt OTA channels.

yimitz 05-16-2013 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartyNg View Post

I subscribe to my local Time Warner's "basic" package for $13/month or so. This includes channels 2-14 in standard definition, and a handful of HD versions of those stations. I have no special equipment - the coax plugs right into all of my TVs. These HD stations have come in fine for quite a while for myself and others that have TVs with a QAM tuner. A few days ago, people stopped receiving all of these HD stations.

I have not contacted Time Warner yet, but I spoke with people who have. Some were told to use an antenna to receive HD, and another person was shipped a DTA. (Isn't a DTA worthless if you have a QAM tuner?)
My understanding was that a QAM tuner was all I needed and I would continue to receive the HD channels. I didn't think this was something Time Warner could arbitrarily take away.

Probably this is result of TWC's "all-digital" project discussed in this article (eventually all services will be encrypted):

http://www.multichannel.com/distribution/tw-cable-going-all-digital-new-york/143027

indyfred 05-16-2013 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartyNg View Post

....... I didn't think this was something Time Warner could arbitrarily take away.


Marty,

From what I understand, the FCC made a ruling that allows the cable companies to scramble all of their signals, even local stations that can be picked up OTA. So, if this is what TW did, then you are stuck getting a cable box or DTA from them in order to receive the programs.

dbdoc 05-16-2013 11:30 AM

I have access to both TWC basic and standard tiers in KCMO. A few months ago local HD clear QAM channels disappeared from the basic tier. They are still seen on the standard tier. Since these services are available in analogue, I always figured anything extra was a bonus.
My understanding is that cable companies are now free to digitize and scramble these services.

RCbridge 05-24-2013 09:42 AM

Yes unfortunatly the Cable companies are doing this, there are HD DTA's but I am not sure if your cable-co is deploying them.
If your TV has a boilt in QAM tuner you can try an OTA antenna.

Ratman 05-24-2013 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCbridge View Post

If your TV has a boilt in QAM tuner you can try an OTA antenna.

You probably meant to say, "if your TV has a built-in QAM tuner, it probably also has an ATSC tuner and you can try using an antenna for your local HD channels."

OTA transmission is not QAM. wink.gif

dbdoc 05-24-2013 11:30 AM

TWCKC recently sent out their policy and services statement for 2013. I hadn't read one of these in several years. It states that local HD channels are available free even if you have only Basic service. I checked the details on their web site for basic and it says the same thing. I am definitely going to call them about this. They need to at least tell us what is going on now instead of telling us how it use to be. Who knows, maybe I have an old filter notching out too many channels on my basic feed.
Since my OTA situation is difficult, it was nice to use the cable feed for recording. I now have fairly stable reception of all channels for simultaneous viewing/recording.

domino92024 05-24-2013 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCbridge View Post

Yes unfortunatly the Cable companies are doing this, there are HD DTA's but I am not sure if your cable-co is deploying them.
If your TV has a boilt in QAM tuner you can try an OTA antenna.

Except that OTA doesn't use QAM. It uses 8VSB.

Scooper 05-24-2013 04:40 PM

Definately a market by market issue, although, I had predicted something like this for many years now. I'm kind of surprised that the cable companies aren't being more aggressive about rolling this out to all markets everywhere.

As of this week, my broadband only subscription to TWC in the Raleigh NC market still has all channels except the the ABC available on clear QAM. I've never had that one since I started with TWC aboujt 2-2.5 years ago.

qz3fwd 06-01-2013 04:15 PM

Maybe the claimed theft of services was just an excuse to subvert FCC rulemaking and is more about re-gaining their control?
Otherwise the cable executive rats would have immediately given directions to their underlings to start encrypting everything if it was really about theft of services in hopes that the theives would call up and start subscribing allowing them to squeeze more money out of subscribers.....


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:01 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.